Turkish asylum claims in Greece rise 40-fold in three years

Two Turkish servicemen being taken in handcuffs to the Athens appeals court this morning. The court refused Turkey’s request to extradite them. 
PETROS GIANNAKOURIS/AP
Two Turkish servicemen being taken in handcuffs to the Athens appeals court this morning. The court refused Turkey’s request to extradite them. PETROS GIANNAKOURIS/AP


Date posted: March 16, 2018

Anthee Carassava, Athens

The number of Turks claiming asylum in Greece has increased 40-fold in three years, according to figures released by Athens, as more people face prosecution for their alleged role in a failed coup against President Erdogan.

The precise number of people moving across the border is not known, but figures released by the Greek government this morning showed that asylum claims had risen from 43 in 2015, to 1,827 last year.

Applications have soared since the ill-fated coup attempt against Mr Erdogan in 2016. The Turkish government responded with sweeping purges and prosecutions of supporters of the popular Hizmet movement, led the US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Turkish officials have blamed for orchestrating the rebellion.

An estimated 151,967 state officials and civil servants have been sacked from their jobs, according to Turkey Purge, a group that charts actions against opponents of Mr Erdogan. About 4,500 judges and prosecutors have been hardest hit by the campaign, as well as an estimated 5,822 academics — the bulk of the defectors pouring into Greece.

The most high-profile case concerns eight Turkish servicemen. This morning an Athens appeals court refused a request by Turkey to extradite the men. Mr Erdogan’s government wants to try them for their alleged role in mobilising a mutinous faction in Turkey’s armed forces during the failed coup, before hijacking a military helicopter and fleeing to northern Greece.

All eight men have denied the allegations and the appeals court upheld an earlier Supreme Court ruling blocking their extradition for fear that they would not receive a fair trial in Turkey. EU and Greek law forbids extradition to a country where an alleged offender would be at risk of torture, as the eight fugitives have argued they would be.

Turkey has attempted to influence the outcome of the case by leaking footage of the servicemen, many of them armed with handguns, being pursued by elite guards after the coup attempt.

This month two Greek soldiers were arrested after straying into Turkish territory while pursuing alleged illegal immigrants. The soldiers have since been held in Turkish custody in the western province of Edirne, facing charges of illegal entry and spying.

 

Source: The Times , March 16, 2018


Related News

Hizmet will continue its mission regardless of attacks

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who, along with the faith-based Hizmet movement, has been subjected to numerous attacks from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has said the movement will continue to perform its mission regardless of circumstances.

Bosnians Protest at Student’s Arrest in Turkish Crackdown

Masetovic, a 21-year-old student at the University of Usak, was arrested last month in the western Turkish city, accused of being part of a network led by exiled cleric Fetullah Gulen. “At the time of the coup in Turkey, my son was at home in Bosnia and Herzegovina and had nothing to do with the events there,” his father Husein Masetovic was quoted as saying.

A Different Kind of Coup? Why You Should Care About A “Reclusive” Turkish Imam in Pennsylvania

We should consider not only what people say about Fethullah Gülen, but what he says himself. Decades of speeches and publications make this possible and reveal certain attributes. For example, Gülen advocates a form of Sufi humanism. He seeks collaborative relationships across religious, cultural, and national borders. He is concerned about the poor and marginalized around the world.

Gülen’s attorney: Media speculation about extradition not true

The lawyer of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen said in a statement on Monday that the speculation in the media regarding the extradition of his client is far from the truth and that the extradition request itself is unlawful.

Watch your mouth

One Turkish folk song says: “Chests are piled up on each other / Woe to us, o gallant people / We have made a promise without thinking / We held you in high esteem although you did not deserve it.”

Germany: Turkish Intel’s spy list may be deliberate provocation

Germany’s interior minister said Thursday that Turkey’s intelligence agency may have given its German counterpart a list of suspected supporters of a U.S.-based cleric to “provoke us in some way.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish family kept at Kiev airport for days at Turkey’s request

81-year-old man sentenced to 10 years in jail over Gulen link

Attempting to discredit Gülen by linking him to Israel

Prove it [that Hizmet linked to graft operation]

The real wretch

CHP asks gov’t about file allegedly targeting TUSKON

Fethullah Gulen’s Message regarding Rumors Circulated in Turkish Media about a Second Coup Attempt

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News