Lawyer put behind bars along with 3-month-old baby


Date posted: January 2, 2018

An Istanbul lawyer, identified with her initials O.E.H., was put in pretrial detention along with her three-month-old baby as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement, media said.

According to TR724 online news portal, O.E.H. stopped by the Tokat police station upon an earlier call from police regarding a probe on Dec 27. The prosecutor in charge requested her arrest underlining that she might avoid investigation although O.E.H. had voluntarily complied with the police notice.

TR724 said O.E.H. was remanded in prison with her 3-month-old baby after they spent 2 days under police custody, on Dec 29.

Turkish government accuses the movement of masterminding the July 15, 2016 coup attempt while the latter denies involvement.

More than 17,000 women in Turkey have been jailed as part of the government’s post-coup crackdown against the movement and other critics.

At least 700 other children aged between 0 to 6 were put behind bars along with jailed parents as they had no else to look after them outside.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , January 1, 2017


Related News

Nigerian govt reacts to planned deportation of 1000 Turks

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama has refuted reports that 1,000 Turks will be extradited from Nigeria on the request of the Turkish government. Onyeama assured all foreign nationals, including Turks resident in the country legally, of full protection under Nigerian and International Laws.

Prime Ministry approved Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of ‘terrorism’

The humanitarian aid group Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of being an armed terrorist organization, had been directed by the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), casting doubt on such claims.

US voices concern about press freedom over Karaca’s arrest

The United States has expressed concern about press freedom in Turkey in regards to the Samanyolu TV network’s top executive, Hidayet Karaca, being arrested after a media crackdown on Dec. 14, saying that it is continuing to address these concerns to Turkish authorities.

You can’t achieve democracy through military coup – Islamic scholar

“Once again, the Turkish media, under government control or pressure, is circulating horrific rumours, this time about a supposed second coup attempt in the works, supposedly prepared by my sympathizers with the backing of the United States. Such rumours are unfounded and irresponsible,” Gülen said.

Dozens of US Congress members urge Kerry to press Turkey for freer media

A large number of members of the US Congress have voiced concerns on the recent arrest of media members in Turkey and called on Secretary of State John Kerry to press the Turkish government to secure press freedom in the country.

Government carried out a “controlled” coup in an attempt to exploit its outcomes: Opposition leader

The main Turkish opposition party has accused the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) of having prior knowledge of the failed July 15, 2016 putsch, saying Ankara carried out a “controlled” coup in an attempt to exploit its outcomes.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Lawmakers from various countries call for better protection of female refugees

Pak-Turk schools replace Turkish principals with Pakistanis

Terrorist PKK targets Gulen movement’s schools in Hakkari

Inspector candidate labeled ‘red’ by ministry confirms profiling reports

GYV President Mustafa Yeşil answers questions about the Gulen movement

Police, gov’t inspectors raid Gülen-inspired private, prep schools in Gaziantep

Academics sign statement saying ‘rule of law suspended’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News