Nigeria says asked by Turkey to extradite over 1000 people


Date posted: October 24, 2017

Turkey seeks extradition of 1000 people in Nigeria as part of its post-coup crackdown against the Gulen movement, local media reported on Monday.

Turkish authorities have asked their Nigerian counterparts to extradite more than 1000 people over their links to the Gulen movement while the African country denied the request, according to media.

“There was the request for the extradition of some of the Turks in Nigeria who have been given asylum and recognized by the United Nations as political refugees and the Turkish government requested that we extradite some of them,” Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama told reporters over the weekend. The request was revealed during Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari’s 4-day visit to Turkey.

“There was also the request that the schools and hospitals established by Gülen Movement should be closed in Nigeria. They now labelled Fethulah’s [movement] as a terrorist organization.”

Following media reports over whether Nigeria would honor the request, the ministry underlined in a statement that the African country guarantees full protection for legal residents.

“The attention of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been drawn to some media reports credited to the Honourable Minister, Mr. Geoffrey Onyeama, implying that 1000 Turkish nationals face extradition from Nigeria at the request of the Turkish government. …For the avoidance of doubt, the ministry wishes to state in clear terms that no such agreement was entered into. Every individual of whatever nationality, legally residing in Nigeria is guaranteed full protection under Nigerian and international laws.”

Turkish government blames the Gulen movement for the July 15, 2016 coup attempt while the latter denies involvement.

More than 126,000 people have been detained over ties to the movement in Turkey so far while President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier called on foreign governments to punish Gulen followers in their own countries. Only a small group of countries, among them Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Georgia, Pakistan and Myanmar, have complied with the request and extradited dozens of Gulenists back to Turkey.

Source: Turkey Purge , October 24, 2017


Related News

Rumi Forum chooses solutions to problems for essay contest

The Rumi Forum, an international organization established by Turks living in Washington, D.C., to foster intercultural dialogue, has chosen the Hizmet movement and solutions to today’s problems as the topic for this year’s essay contest.

Full-Fledged Hate Speech By Erdoğan: Gülen Movement Became ‘Unthinking Slaves’

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has added new insults to his rich collection of hate speeches and defamation targeting Gülen movement on Wednesday and said that “Gülen movement members lost their way, and only follow orders from their owner Fethullah Gülen.”

Torture – Turkish prisoner says tied to chair, pushed into sea while under custody

A Turkish man, identified with his initials D.G., was bound to a chair and pushed into sea on multiple times as police officers tortured him while under custody. Detained as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement in October 2016, D.G. was put in pre-trial detention after days of torture, he told his brother during latter’s recent visit to the prison.

NTIC Student Bags Int’l Young Inventors Olympiads, Beats US, UK, Others

A student of the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges, Kaduna, has once again made Nigeria proud as he beat students from 35 other countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom to clinch a silver award at the International Young Inventors Olympiads (IYIPO).

Hospital to be opened by volunteer Turkish doctors in Ethiopia

A hospital is set to be established jointly by the Marmara Health Federation (MASFED) and Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) in the African country of Ethiopia, where the average life expectancy in only 40 years. The 40-bed hospital is expected to open on Aug. 1. A total of 50 medical health-care personnel […]

AK Party vs. Cemaat?

Ali Ünal Of the many seemingly true claims that have been put forward in regards to the discussions that have come about surrounding the Turkish government’s attempt to close down exam prep-courses, some arguments bear good intentions while others call the Hizmet Movement to “keep quiet” with arguments that lie far from the truth. One […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Can Washington Ever Welcome a Nonviolent Muslim?

Abant Platform takes on sustainable growth, separation of powers

Gülen’s lawyer files lawsuit over unlawful police probe into Hizmet

Germany takes Gülenists off watch list, conducts counterespionage against Ankara – report

PM Barzani and Turkish MPs attend the opening of Ishik University in Erbil

Turkish consulate in Rotterdam seized passports of Gulen-supporters

Slain prosecutor’s daughter: My father was not with Gülen movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News