55-year-old leukemia patient says looking after grandchildren as daughter, son behind bars over Gülen links


Date posted: October 6, 2017

The 55-year-old mother of an imprisoned Turkish woman said in a Twitter video that she has been left to look after her grandchildren after the Turkish government imprisoned her daughter as well as her son over alleged links to the Gülen group.

“I am a 55-year-old mother. I am a leukemia patient. Plus, I have high blood pressure. But, I have had a run of bad luck.At this age, I have seen everyting. After the coup attempt, they [police] took my son. Right after that, they took my daughter. They jailed them.She was held in prison [for some time] and then she was released. And one week later, police came to our door again. We have three kids at home. What will happen to those kids? No one cares about what will happen to these kids at home. They [police] came again at around 12 a.m. – 1 p.m and said: ‘Ms. Rabia [her daughter], we will take your testimony again. Come with us to the police station.’ And she never came back. I am sick. And I am now responsible for three kids. Let alone looking after the kids, I hardly put one foot in front of the other. What am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to go? They took the mother of these kids. What these kids are supposed to do without their mother and father? Help me. I do not know how I can take all these.” the woman said in a video recording recently shared on social media.

Since the coup attempt on July 15, Turkey has turned into a hub of people victimized by the purge carried out by the Turkish government. The ruling party of Turkey and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accused the Gülen group of masterminding the coup attempt and launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

The movement denies any involvement.

Rabiye Duymaz, the mother of three kids aged between 2-5, was imprisoned after the coup attempt as part of an Adana-based investigation into the Gülen group. After spending some three months in prison, she was released on pending trial, however; she was then re-arrested by the same court and sent to Adana prison, where she is currenlty being held over alleged Gülen membership.

So far, the Turkish government dismissed over 138,000 people from state jobs, detained more than 110,000 and imprisonment of more than 55,000 over alleged links to the group.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , Octobet 6, 2017


Related News

Gülen calls for support to a [presidential] candidate with true integrity

Commenting on the upcoming presidential elections on Sunday, Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has urged Turks not to cast their vote for a candidate who oppresses citizens, does injustice to them and disregards the rule of law.

Extradition of Turkish Citizens: Moldova to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations

Almost one year has passed since seven Turkish citizens working at a high school were extradited from the Republic of Moldova. Since then, their case was brought before the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) and Moldova was forced to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations.

US Human Rights Report: Tens of thousands jailed in Turkey with little clarity on charges

The 2016 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices — the Human Rights Reports — released by the US State Department on Friday said that Turkish courts had imprisoned tens of thousands of people with little clarity on charges and evidence over their alleged links with a failed coup in July 2016 that was blamed on the Gülen movement.

Twitter users protest plan to close prep schools in Turkey

Turkish Twitter users are in an uproar over a report that the government has drafted a law which would close thousands of private preparatory education centres (known as “dershanes”) across the country. The schools are reportedly a point of tension between Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government and the Gülen movement that runs many of the schools.

New Level of Witch Hunt: Relatives are Targeted in Turkey

On July 26, Turkish police stormed the house of Muhammet Cakir, a lawyer wanted for arrest on coup charges. Failing to find the lawyer at home, they detained his 86-year-old mother to force her son to surrender. She has been kept as hostage since.

Take protests seriously, work to solve problems, Fethullah Gülen urges

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has urged that the protests that have gripped Turkey for nearly 10 days not be underestimated or ignored, adding that “we share the blame” for the unrest. Gülen also urged restraint and patience from his followers and said “our duty is to work to rehabilitate hearts.” Gülen frequently used “we” in a […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gulen’s message to those who follow his ideals in the midst of defamation by Erdogan regime

Erdogan’s Turkey: ‘You are either with us or you are terrorists’

A Canadian-Saudi’s reflections on Hizmet

US avoids commenting on Gülen’s extradition

Dr. Soltes: Hizmet cares for Turkey and humanity

Conference endorses Gülen’s ideas as guides for Nigerian education system

Pacifica Institute Utah hosts ‘Love is a Verb’ screening for interfaith season

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News