Turkish school shows EU already chose Turkey

Minister of EU Affairs and Chief Negotiator Egemen Bagis
Minister of EU Affairs and Chief Negotiator Egemen Bagis


Date posted: December 11, 2010

HASAN CÜCÜK, EMRE OĞUZ, COPENHAGEN

State Minister and Chief EU Negotiator Egemen Bağış said, “We are trying to get into the EU, but as far as I can see thanks to this school the EU nations already prefer us.” The minister said every Turkish school opened abroad reflected the tolerance of Turkish culture.

State Minister and Chief EU Negotiator Egemen Bağış, who is currently on a visit to Denmark, yesterday visited the Österbro International School, which was opened by Turkish entrepreneurs in Denmark.

The school’s principal, Necat Asanovski, said there are 155 students from 38 countries in the school, which started its educational activities last year. Asanovski said, “Parents feel comfortable sending their children to our school because they are highly satisfied about our counseling services. Children of 24 ambassadors in Copenhagen go to school here.”

Bağış, who said he was impressed by the diverse backgrounds of the school’s students, commented, “We are trying to get into the EU, but as far as I can see thanks to this school the EU nations already prefer us.” The minister said every Turkish school opened abroad reflected the tolerance of Turkish culture. He said he believed that every student that attended Österbro International would eventually become a representative for Turkey and lobby in its favor in the future.

Bağış took a tour of the classrooms and spoke to the teacher’s about the European Union. “I can’t possibly convince all 500 million who live in Europe by myself. Help me convince them that Turkey’s membership will be good for Europe. Tell everyone you know that Turkey should become an EU country.”

The minister also chatted briefly with the younger students in the school’s kindergarten class.

 

Source: Today's Zaman , 10 December 2010


Related News

Erdogan regime’s defamation of Hizmet at full throttle – UK-based academic denies recent allegations

In a written statement released both in Turkish and English, UK-based academic Özcan Keleş denied recent allegations about him that appeared in Turkey’s mostly pro-government media outlets, saying that only his name, his father’s name, his hometown and the fact that Aksaray is a city in Turkey were accurate in the articles. “Everything else is untrue,” Keleş says.

President Obama sends message to Gulen-inspired International Cultural Festival

US President Obama sends a message to Gulen-inspired “The International Festival of Language and Culture” that took place in Washington DC at the DAR Constitution Hall, Washington DC’s largest Concert Hall on April, 2018, 2016.

Formerly Gülen-linked schools in Albania face growing gov’t pressure

Several schools formerly run by the Gülen movement in Albania have been the subject of growing government pressure in recent weeks. On Oct. 28 the campus of the Turgut Özal School was raided by Albanian police without any court order or warrant, and excessive force was used in the presence of students.

Pakistan’s Sindh High Court restrains Turkish teachers’ deportation

The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Monday restrained the concerned authority from deporting former employees of Pak-Turk International School, ruling that they can live in the country but only as refugees.

Ugandan opinion leader refutes news report which defames Hizmet Movement

Speaking to the Cihan news agency, Dr. Anas Abdunoor Kaliisa said he did not give such a statement to Yeni Şafak and such a slander is not unacceptable. “They asked me some questions about Hizmet Movement. I stated that Turkish schools contribute a lot to education of Uganda.

Mali education minister lauds teachers in nation’s Turkish schools

Mali’s Minister of Higher Education and Research Messaoud Ould Mohamed Lahbib: The Hizmet movement, which drives the philosophy behind Turkish schools in the country, does not work like a corporate organization. “This is why I am sure that God will give, and is giving, rewards to Turks,” he said. “The sacrifice being made by teachers who work at Turkish schools in his country is worthy of high praise, adding that he believes no other nation would be willing to make such a great contribution to Mali,” he said.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Daily Sabah rehashes decades-old, refuted claims against Gülen

Panel Discussion – The Gulen Schools In Central Asia

Zaman Arabic aims to be online paper of reference

My Nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize is Fethullah Gulen

Fethullah Gülen sends a message to the conference “Peacebuilding through Education”

Turkey shies away from legal measures to provide equal opportunity in education

Those who infiltrate the state

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News