66,000 students relocated after Turkish government shut down 15 universities over coup charges


Date posted: June 11, 2017

Turkish government has closed down 15 universities across the country over their alleged links to the Gulen movement since last summer, leading 66,000 students to look for somewhere else to continue their education.

The government shuttered under post-coup emergency rule Fatih University, Murat Hudavendigar University and Suleyman Sah University in Istanbul, Orhan Gazi University in Bursa, Gediz University, Izmir University and Sifa University in Izmir, Altin Koza University and Turgut Ozal University in Ankara, Mevlana University in Konya, Canik Basari University in Samsun, Melik Sah University in Kayseri, Kanuni University in Adana, Zirve University in Gaziantep and Selahattin Eyyubi University in Diyarbakir.

Some 66,000 students registered to those universities were left to enroll in other universities, Gazete Duvar online news portal said.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government along with Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement despite the latter’s denials of involvement.

With hundreds of institutions including universities seized, more than 120,000 people have been detained over alleged or real links to the movement so far.

Source: Turkey Purge , June 11, 2017


Related News

Fighting poverty, ignorance and disunity in Ghana; the TUDEC experience

The fight against poverty, ignorance and disunity is a shared responsibility among the government, the private sector, civil society and non-governmental organizations. The reason is that the government alone does not have the requisite human and capital resources to sustain this struggle.

The latest step by AKP-Gov’t witch-hunt against Hizmet Movement

In Turkey, the increasing pressure over the freedom of press, property rights and authoritarianism have reached an alarming level. A recent report on the rule of law and respect for human rights inTurkey declared that Turkish government had been perpetrating systematic human rights violations since December 2013.

Today’s Zaman praised for quality coverage on 6th anniversary

AYDIN ALBAYRAK/ALI ASLAN KILIÇ/SİNEM CENGİZ ANKARA On the occasion of the sixth anniversary of Today’s Zaman, senior leaders of the governing and opposition parties as well as Ankara-based foreign diplomats expressed their appreciation for the daily as an important source of information on Turkey. They described Today’s Zaman, the largest-circulated English daily in Turkey, as […]

Izetbegovic praises Turkish schools and universities abroad

25 September 2012 / AYTEN ÇIFTÇI, İSTANBUL The Bosniak member of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s tripartite presidency, Bakir Izetbegovic, expressed his admiration for Turkish schools and universities abroad in an exclusive interview with Today’s Zaman on Monday. Izetbegovic noted that Turkish schools abroad are esteemed for the good education they provide. Turkish schools (aka Gulen inspired schools) […]

PM Erdoğan once defended Hizmet, said it was Feb. 28 [military coup] victim

Prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who has recently accused the faith-based Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen of cooperating with coup perpetrators during the Feb. 28, 1997 post-modern coup era, defended the same movement at a parliamentary coup commission in 2012, when he said the movement’s followers had been victimized during the coup.

Int’l press organizations call for release of journalist Keneş, condemn arrest

New York-based press advocacy group the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has called on Turkish authorities to immediately release Today’s Zaman Editor-in-Chief Bülent Keneş, condemning the arrest as a “relentless crackdown” on the press.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Two volunteers of Gülen Movement reportedly abducted after released by Azerbaijani Court

Arbitrary intrusions and dangerous liaisons

AK Party’s social media instructions to ministries raise questions of legality

Society ready for a new constitution, but how about politics?

Turkey’s Brain Drain and the Disappearing Academic Freedom

60-year old man covers 309 km in 17 days to protest son’s arrest on coup charges

GYV Presient Yesil: We knock on all doors

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News