Stop doing Erdogan’s dirty work, Freedom centre tells Malaysia


Date posted: May 16, 2017

Stockholm Centre of Freedom (SCF) has called on the Malaysian government to halt its dirty bidding on behalf of the growingly repressive Turkish government led by President Recep Erdogan, following the arrest and deportation of three Turkish nationals from Kuala Lumpur.

In its report titled Erdogan’s Long Arms: The Case of Malaysia, the centre noted that Turkey has adopted a thuggish tactic in persecuting its critics and opponents abroad by orchestrating abductions, enforced disappearance and extrajudicial renditions, in addition to profiling and harassment of Turkish expatriates by government institutions and clandestine groups.

Based on the case of the abduction and deportation of Ismet Ozcelik, Turgay Karaman and Ihsan Aslan from Malaysia last week, the Sweden-based centre described Malaysia as a country with poor record of the law and having corrupt politicians.

It claimed the case of the three had exposed how the current Turkish government, led by an authoritarian and oppressive leadership, is stretching the limits of a sovereign power by whisking away its citizens from a foreign territory.

The report states Malaysia appeared to have willingly aided and abetted in the unlawful actions of the Turkish state.

“The Malaysian example showed how Erdogan can drag other leaders in his crime syndicate that trumps international human rights law. Corrupt and authoritarian regimes appear to be aiding and abetting Erdogan’s posse in his illegal manhunt in exchange for political deals and economic incentives,” SCF president Abdullah Bozkurt said.

“Since these people, who were turned over to Turkey on false charges will be subjected to torture, abuse and inhuman treatment for simply belonging to a vulnerable social group, the Malaysian government will be held accountable for enabling Erdogan’s crimes against humanity in the future,” Bozkurt added.

The report further claimed that Turkish embassies and government agencies, including the intelligence service and non-governmental organisations affiliated with the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government, were all involved in profiling and harassment of the members of the Fethullah Gülen movement.

The Malaysian example, SCF added, represents an extreme case where law-abiding and peaceful people who participated in Gülen’s advocacy of interfaith dialogue efforts were unlawfully detained and abused before extradition to Turkey, where they would face further torture, long pre-trial detention and unfair trials.

It said the Turkish government under Erdogan had stigmatised members of a civic group called Hizmet (Gulen) movement, inspired by Gulen, where the movement focuses on science, education, volunteerism, community involvement, social work and interfaith and intercultural dialogue.

SCF further called on the Malaysian authorities to protect Turkish expats from reprisals, to respect the rule of law and to comply with its international obligations under the human rights conventions.

“After all, safety and security, including the right to life for Gülen movement participants in Malaysia, fall under the responsibility of the Malaysian government.

“Just as European governments have taken measures to ensure the safety of Turkish nationals, especially Gülen movement participants, against what SCF has called the “long arms of Erdogan, Malaysia too must take all reasonable measures to make sure Turkish nationals live free of the fear of Erdogan’s grasp,” SCF added.

Karaman and Aslan were picked up by the Malaysian police on May 3, while Ozcelik was arrested a few days later.

They were deported to Ankara on May 11, as announced by inspector-general of police Khalid Abu Bakar.


Related Video

 

Source: Malaysiakini , May 15, 2017


Related News

Sakarya court orders stay of execution on closure of Fatih Koleji

The Sakarya Administrative Court on Friday issued a stay of execution on the closure decision for Fatih Koleji, a Hizmet-affiliated school that has been running in the Beyköy district of Düzce province, saying that the school is allowed to continue to operate in the 2014-2015 education period.

Alleged Gülen sympathizers in prison banned from communication with outside world

The İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has prohibited individuals in Silivri Prison who are currently under arrest over their alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement from communicating with the outside world during an ongoing state of emergency, the Sözcü daily reported on Monday.

AfSV Statement on the Turkish government’s detainment of Kutbettin Gülen

News of the detention of Kutbettin Gülen, the brother of Fethullah Gülen, is as unsurprising as it is troubling, and it is yet the latest example of the Turkish government’s persecution of innocent citizens in the wake of the July 15 coup attempt. Kutbettin Gülen has been detained on trumped-up charges used by President Tayyip Erdoğan’s administration to silence dissent and cement his autocratic hold on power.

Taraf daily to sue PM Erdoğan over treason accusations

Daily Taraf has announced that it will file a criminal complaint against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on charges of attempting to influence due process after the Turkish leader called on the “judiciary to do its duty” against the newspaper for exposing a plan to eliminate the Gülen movement.

Mother of three arrested with baby as police fail to locate teacher husband

A mother of three in the western province of Izmir, Fadime Danışman was arrested along with her 8-month-old baby after police failed to locate her husband, a teacher by profession, as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement.

THY’s Topçu defends embargo on papers, defamation campaign

Turkish Airlines (THY) Chairman Hamdi Topçu has confirmed an embargo on the distribution of dailies Bugün, Taraf, Zaman and Today’s Zaman on THY flights and has admitted having withdrawn a huge amount of cash from Bank Asya in an alleged attempt to force the bank out of business.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen’s lawyer: Views other than state ideology considered a crime in Turkey

Obama to become a parallel, too?

UN and OSCE experts deplore crackdown on journalists and media outlets in Turkey

Turkish PM asks citizens for help in witch-hunt against Gülen sympathizers

Erdoğan ‘does not grasp’ separation of powers, MEP says

Ishak Alaton: Fethullah Gülen is the most “other” in Turkey

Water Well Constructed in Uganda in Memory of Slain Journalist

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News