Turkish imam in Copenhagen says embassy spied on 4 people, 14 schools


Date posted: May 3, 2017

A religious adviser to the Turkish embassy in Copenhagen, Adnan Bülent Baloğlu told a local paper that the Turkish outpost has collected information on “4 individuals and 14 schools” affiliated with the Gulen movement in Denmark.

In an interview with the Kristeligt Dagblad newspaper, Baloğlu defended what the embassy did by saying “this gathering of information is the reflex by a state to a terrible coup attempt in which several people were killed. If these people are running freely amongst us, we need to know about it.”

In the face of an uproar against what many call spying against Copenhagen residents, Baloğlu was recalled to Turkey.

Gulen movement is accused of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt while it denies any accusation. The government, meanwhile, has been carrying out an all-out crackdown against alleged or real followers of the movement both in and outside Turkey.

Earlier, Turkish embassies abroad have been proven to have collected information on government critics, the movement followers in particular.

Source: Turkey Purge , May 1, 2017


Related News

Erdoğan’s ‘enemies’ find sanctuary in Greece

“Until May 9th, the police in my home country [Turkey] tortured me,” he said. “On May 10th, the Greek police brought my children breakfast.”

Canadian rights advocate says Turkey’s post-coup crackdown amounts to genocide

Turkey’s post-coup witch-hunt of the Gulen movement followers is tantamount to genocide, Renee Vaugeois, a Canadian human rights specialist said in a recent interview.

Police detain student over fingerprints on Gülen books

According to a report, the police were informed that books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen were thrown in the garbage by unidentified people in the Belediyeevleri neighborhood of the Canik district of Samsun province. After the investigation, fingerprints on the books were matched to those of A.E.A, a 22-year-old university student.

Fethullah Gülen Reiterates No Involvement In Turkey’s Controversial Coup Attempt

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied once more Turkish authorities’ accusations of masterminding a controversial coup bid in Turkey last year, in interviews with the Reuters and the US’s National Public Radio (NPR), saying he has always stood against all coups.

Extradition of Turkish Citizens: Moldova to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations

Almost one year has passed since seven Turkish citizens working at a high school were extradited from the Republic of Moldova. Since then, their case was brought before the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) and Moldova was forced to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations.

Political cartoonist Aseem Trivedi raises voice against detention of women after delivery in Turkey’s hospitals

Turkish government has systematically been detaining women on coup charges either when they are pregnant or shortly after giving birth. At least 16 cases have so far been reported.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Reactions snowball after PM likens Hizmet members to Hashishin

‘Hizmet is the attempt to celebrate all of humanity’

GYV announces the third international family policy conference

Dr. Esposito: The Gulen Movement Introduces Turkey To The World

Turkish gov’t pays cash rewards for arrest or death of Gülen supporters

Dusseldorf drawn to the call “Come, whoever you are”

Hizmet movement to address Armenian issue

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News