Erdogan’s crackdown – Woman detained while showing newborn baby to jailed husband


Date posted: March 9, 2017

S.Ö., whose husband was jailed a few weeks before she gave birth to a baby, was detained in Sakarya on March 8 when she went to Sakarya Prison to show him their newborn baby.

According to AktifHaber.com, police detained S.Ö. on March 8 while women around the world were marking International Women’s Day and put her in Ferizli Prison in Sakarya.

S.Ö.’s husband was imprisoned 45 days ago over links to a failed coup in Turkey in July of last year. She gave birth to a baby 17 days later.

Turkey experienced a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

The movement denies any involvement.

In the currently ongoing post-coup purge, over 135,000 people, including thousands within the military, have been purged due to their real or alleged connection to the movement, according to a statement by the labor minister on Jan. 10.

As of March 1, 93,248 people were being held without charge, with an additional 46,274 in pre-trial detention. A total of 7,316 academics were dismissed, and 4,070 judges and prosecutors were purged over alleged coup involvement or terrorist links.


Related News

Father jailed over Gülen links, 6-months-old paralyzed baby left in intensive care

With Husband Already In Jail, Woman Along With Two Children Detained In Post-Coup Witch Hunt

Wife says dismissed police chief left to die of colorectal cancer in İzmir prison

Mother with infant jailed while trying to visit imprisoned husband

Source: Turkish Minute , March 9, 2017


Related News

PACE concerned over lack of domestic remedy for purge victims in Turkey

Two rapporteurs for the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on Wednesday expressed concern at the apparent lack of an effective domestic remedy for persons who have been dismissed from their jobs, arrested or detained by the Turkish authorities.

Canadian rights advocate says Turkey’s post-coup crackdown amounts to genocide

Turkey’s post-coup witch-hunt of the Gulen movement followers is tantamount to genocide, Renee Vaugeois, a Canadian human rights specialist said in a recent interview.

Threats and fear used to intimidate business world

In one of the eastern provinces, members of a business association believed to be close to the Hizmet movement, a CSO, were visited by the managers of another association that the government seeks to promote. They were told that a police operation might be launched against their association and that they would face serious tax audits and commercial problems if they continued their membership in their current association.

Erdogan plotted Turkey purge before coup, say Brussels spies

The European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gulen’s extradition from the US. The huge wave of arrests was already previously prepared.

Why would Gulen choose to attempt a coup that’s contrary to all his views?

I believe it is unlikely that Gulen was the mastermind behind the dramatic failed coup attempt against Erdogan last week. Of course, in the absence of evidence, so far no one can speak with certainty. Gulen’s social movement probably has well over a million followers or sympathizers who are not under centralized control.

Top union: Closing prep schools to leave 60,000 jobless

Turkey’s largest business confederation, the Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges (TOBB), has said a government plan to shut down private exam preparatory schools (dershanes) will leave an estimated 60,000 teachers at these institutions jobless while causing financial losses to investors.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Who staged a coup against whom on Dec. 17?

‘TUSKON is a reliable and long-time friend of ours’

Could assassination attempts be made against politicians?

Kimse Yok Mu aid cheers up Albanian community in Petrella

Who’s conspiring against Erdoğan?

Students from Turkish schools return to Romania with three medals

EC official: Turkey should address issues within limits of rule of law

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News