Case of Calgary imam accused of plotting failed coup in Turkey will remain in limbo

A Calgary imam who has spent more than seven months in a Turkish prison has court date scheduled for today. A photo of a wedding picture of Rumeysa Hanci, right, and imam Davud Hanci, is seen in Calgary on in an August 2016 file photo.  (LARRY MACDOUGAL / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
A Calgary imam who has spent more than seven months in a Turkish prison has court date scheduled for today. A photo of a wedding picture of Rumeysa Hanci, right, and imam Davud Hanci, is seen in Calgary on in an August 2016 file photo. (LARRY MACDOUGAL / THE CANADIAN PRESS)


Date posted: March 8, 2017

LAUREN KRUGEL

Davud Hanci’s court appearance has been delayed. He was expected to appear today before a judge by video conference on allegations he helped orchestrate Turkey’s failed coup attempt last summer.

The case of a Calgary imam who has spent more than seven months in a Turkish prison will remain in limbo for another two months.

Davud Hanci was expected to appear today before a judge by video conference on allegations he helped orchestrate last summer’s attempted coup.

But his sister-in-law, Ruveyda Durmus, says the case has been delayed until May 3 because of a secret witness.

His wife says an earlier court date for Hanci, who has Canadian and Turkish citizenship, had been set for Jan. 31 but was postponed because of lack of evidence.

Rumeysa Hanci says worrying about her husband since his arrest last July has been like torture for her and their two young sons.

She says her husband is a peaceful man and the allegations against him are ridiculous.

“I feel so extremely overwhelmed. It’s really difficult to fight,” she said after ushering the couple’s two young sons out of the room so they wouldn’t be upset by her talking about their father.

“My mind is so full of everything.”

She said her husband is being kept in solitary confinement and has not been allowed visits or phone calls with family, but he has been able to see his lawyer face-to-face.

“She says he’s trying to be strong,” said Rumeysa.

Relatives have said the couple and their two sons, who are eight and nine, were in Turkey last July visiting the imam’s ailing father in Trabzon on the coast of the Black Sea.

Shortly after, he was moved to a prison nearly 1,000 kilometres away in the province of Kocaeli east of Istanbul.

“The accusations are so ridiculous,” said Rumeysa. “I want Canadians to know a good man is staying there without any evidence.”

Turkish news reports have accused Davud Hanci of having ties to Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based cleric whom the Turkish government accuses of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt.

Gulen, a former ally-turned-critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, has denied any involvement.

Turkey has arrested tens of thousands in its investigation into the failed coup, and dismissed or suspended more than 100,000 people from government jobs.

Michael O’Shaughnessy of Global Affairs Canada called the case a priority, though he said privacy considerations prohibit him from discussing it in detail.

“We are actively engaged on this case, and doing everything we can to support the family,” he said. “Parliamentary Secretary Omar Alghabra has met with the individual’s family, and consular officials remain in regular contact.”

Rumeysa said the ordeal has been tough on their sons.

“They need him so much. So they keep asking questions like when he will be home,” she said.

“The boys are apart from their father and it’s hard to find answers to their questions anymore.”

“I want this torture to end as soon as possible,” she said. “I want him back home. I want him seeing my boys growing and taking care of them.”

Source: The Star , March 8, 2017


Related News

Kimse Yok Mu officials extend helping hand to Syrian refugees

The Şanlıurfa office of Kimse Yok Mu, a Turkish charity, in cooperation with the Şanlıurfa Governor’s Office, provided food, clothing, blankets and cleaning supplies to 200 Syrian families living in the town of Akçakale on Dec. 21. More than 120,000 Syrian refugees are taking shelter in camps in southern Turkey and more are expected to […]

Turkey overshadows war-hit Syria in number of academics seeking asylum elsewhere

The New York-based Scholar Rescue Fund, a part of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has received an unprecedented number of requests for help, its director Sarah Willcox told an audience at the European Association for International Education’s annual conference, held in Liverpool from 13 to 16 September, Times Higher Education (THE) reported.

Turkish police detain another woman shortly after caesarean delivery

A Turkish women, Nazlı N. Mert, who has just given birth to a baby in Ankara, was detained by police teams and transferred to police station with her newly-born baby on Saturday as part of post-coup witch hunt campaign targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement.

Jailed journalist facing new trial for not calling Gülen movement a terror organization

Journalist Emre Soncan, who has been behind bars for 20 months, is facing a new trial for not describing the Gülen movement as a terrorist organization. Soncan, 36, used to work for Turkey’s best-selling Zaman daily, which was closed down by the Turkish government in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016 due to its links to the Gülen movement.

Free speech groups condemn Turkey’s closure of 29 publishers after failed coup

Jo Glanville, director of English PEN, said: “The coup posed a serious threat to the Turkish state, but the closing down of publishers, alongside the mass sackings, detentions, arrests and allegations of torture, will have a grave impact on democracy. The crackdown on freedom of expression was already a continuing concern. The coup now appears to be an opportunity for Erdoğan to purge Turkey of his opponents.

Ex-CIA Director: Mike Flynn and Turkish Officials Discussed Removal of Gulen from U.S. without Going through Legal Process

James Woolsey says he attended a September meeting where other participants, including then-Trump adviser Mike Flynn, talked of moving Fethullah Gulen back to Turkey without going through U.S. extradition process.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

AST urges foreign governments to ensure safety for participants of Hizmet Movement

Professor Sarıtoprak: ‘ISIS uses eschatological themes extensively for their ideology’

Commentary: Abuses rampant in wake of Turkish coup

Mr. Gülen’s felicitous advice on Kurdish issue, freedoms

Students from Turkish school send pocket money to needy ones in Nepal

Filipino student wins prestigious Turkish Olympiad song contest

Police and inspectors raid Gülen-inspired schools in Çanakkale

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News