Gulen has ‘no intention of leaving the US’

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen


Date posted: March 1, 2017

Washington (dpa) – Exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen has no plans to leave the United States for Canada, according to an organization close to him, following speculation about a possible move.

The Alliance for Shared Values “rejects the accusation” by Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus that Gulen is planning a move to Canada, it said in a statement on its website.

“Mr Gulen has not purchased any property in Canada or elsewhere and has no intention of leaving the United States,” the statement said.

“This is nothing more than a false rumour being circulated again to divert attention from the Erdogan government‘s domestic repressions and autocratic drive, and to exert pressure on the US government to arrest Mr Gulen,” the statement said.

Gulen has lived in self-imposed exile in the eastern US state of Pennsylvania since 1999.

Turkey has blamed Gulen and his Hizmet movement of being behind a failed coup d‘etat in July and is seeking his extradition. Gulen contends that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan initiated the coup himself in order to create an excuse to silence critics.

The alliance said Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag had speculated about Gulen moving to Canada as early as July 28.

The Alliance also reiterated its call for an end to attempts to stymie voices of democratic dissent, including journalists, academics, Kurds, liberals and participants in the Hizmet movement.

Source: Europe Online Magazine , March 2, 2017


Related News

Is Hizmet being subjected to genocide? (2)

In a recently leaked voice recording, which was not denied by those involved in it, Erdoğan’s son, Bilal, tells his father that an operation should be launched against the Hizmet movement. All these incidents indicate that the ruling party has used and will use laws in accordance with Erdoğan’s plans. Thus, a group cannot be destroyed solely with mass killings. It can be destroyed also with unfair and unlawful practices by passing specific laws, as we saw in many cases in the past.

Kimse Yok Mu waits weeks for aid campaign go-ahead

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?) has been waiting 37 days for permission from the İstanbul Governor’s Office to continue seven aid campaigns bringing various kinds of relief and services to people in need around the world.

Bolu municipality builds road inside Hizmet affiliated Fatih College’s garden

The Bolu Municipality, Turkey, having previously closed down two schools belonging to businesspeople affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement in early July, has now constructed a road inside the garden of Fatih College, a high school, despite the fact that the school is surrounded by empty plots of land and no residential area exists around the school.

Hakan Şükür’s resignation blamed on lack of intra-party democracy

Şükür, a former international football player, left Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s ruling party in protest against the government’s plan to shut down exam preparatory schools, revealing the intra-party divisions below the surface. The resignation came after Şükür objected to the government proposal to close these schools, which help students prepare for university and high school admission exams.

Gulen says he is certain Erdogan behind failed Turkey coup

Asked if he was suggesting that Erdogan was behind the coup, Gulen said: “Until now I only thought that was a possibility. Now I think it’s certain.” Gulen said a Turkish officer had recently said that the chief of general staff and the intelligence chief met in the army headquarters during the night of the coup, adding: “They already knew everything that would happen later.”

Peshawar High Court Restrains Federal Government From Deporting Turkish Teachers Of Pak-Turk School Till Dec 1

The petitioners submitted before the court that Pak-Turk schools had been imparting quality education to hundreds of Pakistani children. They said that the forced deportation of Turkish teachers and other staff members was illegal as they had been provided protection under the Constitution.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Islamabad High Court: Pak-Turk Schools will not be handed over to Turkish Government

AFSV Statement on Temporary US Travel and Immigration Ban

Fethullah Gulen responds to videocassette allegations

Leaked emails reveal Erdoğan’s son-in-law’s team fabricated news against Gülen in US

On Hizmet: Why do I not criticize it?

Brookings: Takvim’s news on Hizmet movement incorrect, totally ignorant

Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement discussed in New York

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News