Pak-Turk schools: Parents urge government against transferring administration to Erdogan-linked organization


Date posted: February 27, 2017

ISLAMABAD: Parents of students studying at the Pak-Turk International Schools and Colleges have censured the government for handing over the school system to a non-profit organisation.

Expressing their apprehension at a press conference at the National Press Club on Saturday, the parents said that the NGO, Maarif Foundation, lacks competence and the required experience to run educational institutions.

They also raised questions on the alleged funding which the organisation receives from Saudi Arabia, fearing it may introduce extremist thinking in educational institutions.

The government had in November 2016 asked over 400 Turkish faculty and administrative staff, managing the Pak-Turk Schools in the country, to leave Pakistan within a week, following pressure from the Turkish government in the wake of a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15.


“All the Turkish teachers and administrators have left Pakistan and the schools are being run by Pakistanis,” said one of the parents Syed Amir Abdullah. He added that the government still seemed hell bent on ruining these institutions by handing them over to an ‘infamous organisation’ which has no experience of running them.


Subsequently, the government handed over management of the schools to the Turkish non-profit Maarif Foundation – reportedly funded by Saudi Arabia and the Islamic Development Bank.

The Turkish government believes that the schools had been established by the Gülen movement, which is inspired by the views of US-based Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen. Ankara blames him for orchestrating the coup attempt.

Pak-Turk schools and colleges teach about 13,000 students in 10 cities and deny any affiliation with the Gülen movement.

Although the school management had challenged the decision of expelling staff in various courts and managed to secure some interim relief, they had to leave Pakistan in the end.

On Saturday, parents representing a parent-teacher association of the school said their children’s future was at stake due to politics.

“All the Turkish teachers and administrators have left Pakistan and the schools are being run by Pakistanis,” said one of the parents Syed Amir Abdullah.

He added that the government still seemed hell bent on ruining these institutions by handing them over to an ‘infamous organisation’ which has no experience of running them.

“Those teaching students are themselves learning English from the National University of Modern Languages,” Abdullah said, as he asked how such teachers would be able to teach a Cambridge-system syllabus to the students.

They also alleged that the Punjab government’s Counter Terrorism Department had been harassing the chairman of the Pak-Turk Foundation Alamgir Khan, and trying to force him to resign.

“[Turkish] Internal political matters should not impact the Pakistani society,” said Amir, adding that the Pakistani society needs quality education to end extremism and poverty and these institutions had been providing just that for the last 22 years.

“The government, despite extensive scrutiny, had found nothing controversial in these institutions. Thus, it should reconsider its decision [of handing over management to Maarif Foundation] and should not hand over these institutions to an incompetent organisation,” the parents said.

Sajida Farhat, another concerned parent, said that students were quite attached with the current faculty and that any abrupt change in the setup would badly affect their academic activities at a time when exams are just around the corner.

Instead of ruining the already well-established institutions imparting impartial quality education, the government should take measures to uplift the standards of other government educational set ups, they asserted.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 26th, 2017.

Source: The Express Tribune , February 26, 2017


Related News

Kimse Yok Mu to launch 1000 “field schools” project in Africa

International aid organization Kimse Yok Mu is launching a new project to help improve education in Africa – KYM Field Schools. The project is about the foundation of 1000 schools for primary education of African children and submission of schools to local authorities.

My husband is being tortured and I am worried about his life

My husband was in an exhausted state when he got into the room. There were punch marks on his face. He was suffering psychologically; he begged not to go back down to the detention room. He was saying “If you wish to give me 50 years in prison, do so, but do not take me down there”.

Will Turkey’s assassinations reach America?

There is no longer any doubt that Turkey conducts operations in the United States against Turks and Kurds with whom Erdogan disagrees. That problem will likely get worse as Erdogan digs in his heels and demands the extradition of exiled cleric Fethullah Gülen. While Turkish officials have turned over reams of papers detailing why Turkey believes Gülen is a malign influence, none of the evidence Turkey has provided actually implicates Gülen in the events of July 15.

Gülen movement discussed at EP in light of recent political developments in Turkey

A panel discussion was organized by the Brussels-based Intercultural Dialogue Platform in the European Parliament (EP) to give information about the faith-based Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, especially within the framework of recent developments in Turkish politics.

Erdogan’s corruption defense falls flat

Denying the corruption accusations that brought his party under a disconcerting spotlight, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been lamenting press attempts to “throw the mud and see if it sticks.” He indirectly accused the judiciary of being taken over by the Fethullah Gulen religious movement, as well as acting as a subcontractor to foreign powers who, out of envy for Turkey’s political and economic success, manufactured this corruption plot to finish him off just as they tried to do at the Gezi Park protests in June.

Dutch politicians outraged over new “Gulen-List”

Only days after Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Foreign Minister Bert Koenders’ frantic diplomatic efforts to limit Turkish interference in Dutch society, the Turkish state news agency published a new so-called “Gulen list” on Tuesday. The list contains names of organizations in the Netherlands allegedly affiliated with Fethullah Gulen, which are to be boycotted because they are considered enemies of the Turkish State. Politicians in the Netherlands are furious.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish doctors perform 13,000 cataract operations in Sudan, Somalia

A serious question for a respected newspaper

TUSKON encourages businessmen to shift sights toward India

Former Pakistani PM expresses gratitude for Turkish schools

Hizmet Relief ends Cataract Campaign, starts Water Well Campaign

AK Party’s ’parallel’ election campaign

Hizmet school in Bangladesh receives the International Arch of Europe Award

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News