Erdogan Changes Tactics On Attempt To Shut Turkish Schools


Date posted: November 15, 2016

MARTIN PAUL / ABUJA

President Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey has changed tactics in his efforts to make foreign governments close schools run by Hizmet Movement associates, otherwise called Turkish schools.

According to a statement issued yesterday in Abuja by the CEO, Impact Innovators Limited, Mr. Sebagen Henry Noboh, he had established a decoy foundation to achieve his aim.

The NGO, Maarif Foundation, could not secure financial support from local Turkish businessmen, forcing the government to turn to gulf countries for funding.

It would be recalled that Turkish government made vigorous efforts to make other countries close Hizmet Movement-affiliated schools on the unsupported claims that the movement orchestrated the July 15 failed attempt to topple it.

The statement said on September 14, the Minister of Education in Turkey, Ismet Yilmaz, announced that Maarif Foundation was planning to take over 65 schools linked with Hizmet Movement in 15 unnamed countries.

It added that the Head of the Civil Society Action Coalition on Education For All (CSACEFA), the umbrella body of over 600 education civil society organisations, MrS Chioma Osuji, said the move would fail in Africa.

She said: “How is that possible; an NGO taking over private investments with the aid of the government? That’s not possible. They can’t just wake up one day and take over the schools. That would be terrible.

“This is Africa. We won’t allow any foreign country to treat us like one banana continent. I don’t really see any country in Africa buying that; certainly not Nigeria. It would be met with stiff opposition.”

CSACEFA was formed in the run-up to the World Education Summit in Dakar, capital of Senegal, in 2000 by 40 education NGOs in Africa.

According to her, Hizmet Movement schools, otherwise known as Turkish schools, contributes to the development of education in Nigeria and other African countries.

She, therefore, urged African governments to resist any plot by the Turkish government to undermine its sovereignty and respectability by accepting its disguised order to hand over the Turkish schools to Maarif Foundation.

“Despite tremendous efforts exerted by the government, only a few countries have given in to pressure from Ankara over the shutdown of Hizmet-linked schools, with a majority of them refusing to meet the demands of the Turkish government.”

Source: Blue Print , November 14, 2016


Related News

Deputy PM threatens Taraf daily, Baransu for covering controversial MGK docs

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç on Monday called on prosecutors to take legal action against the Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu, who last week revealed a controversial National Security Council (MGK) document indicating that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) signed on to a planned crackdown on the Hizmet (Gülen) movement in 2004.

Police and inspectors raid Gülen-inspired kindergarten in Manisa

Police and inspectors from several government departments have carried out further raids on Gülen-inspired schools, including a kindergarten in Manisa, as part of a government-led operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, influenced by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Government circular bans Gülen followers from collecting sacrificed animal skins

A recent government circular sent to police departments across Turkey told police to seize the skins of sacrificed animals during Eid al-Adha collected on behalf of the “Fethullah Gülen terrorist organization” (FETÖ) — a derogatory term President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his political associates developed in order to disparage the faith-based Gülen movement, which is […]

Erdoğan has to respect civil society

ŞAHİN ALPAY Colleagues and friends ask me, “What is the reason for the feud between the government and the Gülen movement and between Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Fethullah Gülen?” This is, briefly, my response. In Turkey the demand for education is very high. Universities are unable to meet the demand and there are […]

Fresh political raids targets leading Turkish NGO Kimse Yok Mu

Police teams from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime division stormed the office of UN member NGO Kimse Yok Mu’s branch in Turkey’s northwestern province of Kocaeli on Wednesday in the latest political raid to sweep the country.

Renowned Canadian professor lauds Honorable Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Professor Whyte, who is a constitutional jurist and a former advisor to state ministers, spoke on the Hizmet’s activities in his country. He believes the movement is seeking a peaceful world. “Hizmet is a movement that wholeheartedly believes in intercultural dialog, which is the key for peaceful relations among people.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish PM Erdoğan’s chain of mistakes

Enes Kanter calls Turkey’s Erdoğan ‘Hitler of our century’ after airport detainment

Nigeria Turkish College to Host Language, Culture Festival

TV series shooting banned over controversial scene depicting the Prophet Muhammad

Tanzanian Minister hails Turkey for continued support in education

Zaman daily launches news portal in Kurdish language

What’s Friendship Got to Do With [Mr. Gulen’s] Extradition?

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News