French court punishes death threats, attacks against Gülen sympathizers


Date posted: December 22, 2016

Following attacks and threats against Gülen movement sympathizers by Turks across Europe, a French court has handed down verdicts punishing two men for vandalizing an educational institution and sending death threats, the TR724 news portal reported on Friday.

After President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan mobilized citizens at home and abroad against the Gülen movement in the wake of a failed coup on July 15, labeling its sympathizers “terrorists’ and ‘traitors,” hate speech and criminal incidents targeting the movement took place in several European countries.

A man known only by the initials M.Y., who several times attacked educational and cultural centers managed by Gülen movement sympathizers, claimed that he was threatened by somebody who came to a mosque run by the Turkish-Islamic Union for Religious Affairs (DITIB), the overseas arm of Turkey’s Religious Affairs Directorate. However, the judge sentenced M.Y. to four months’ imprisonment, four months’ probation and 23,000 euros for the damage he caused.

Another man referred to the initials O.K. sent death threats to Gülen movement sympathizer M.K. on July 16 and 17, saying that people who kill people like M.K. would be rewarded both by the state and by God. He also told the Gülen sympathizer not to feel safe just because he lives in Europe.

Although O.K. insisted that somebody else had used his phone to send the texts, he was given a four months suspended sentence.

In September, President Erdoğan said, “No country, no region anywhere in the world, is a safe haven for FETÖ [an acronym the government has been using to refer to the Gülen movement] and militants,” during a press conference in İstanbul, in addition to his regular targeting of Gülen sympathizers.

Source: Turkish Minute , December 16, 2014


Related News

Council of Europe concerned over government’s ‘hasty’ judicial bill

“This was approved in a referendum. To revisit this in a very hasty manner after that long process of consultation and democratization that took place at that referendum raises a lot of questions on why this is being done so quickly and what the aim of it is,” Muiznieks said.

Bosnian Court Lifts Movement Restrictions on Turkish Citizen

A court in Bosnia and Herzegovina has terminated restrictions on the movement of Turkish citizen Fatih Keskin, previously imposed by the Service for Foreigners’ Affairs following his arrest and subsequent release in December last year, the court told.

Woman says she miscarried baby due to stress under police custody

A Turkish woman, whose identity remains anonymous, has said in a recent video recording that she miscarried her baby due to the stress she experienced under custody.

Sultan of Zing: Erdogan’s power trip makes African pit stop

Erdogan came to Tanzania, Mozambique and Madagascar believing that if he waved around the prospect of massive investment, the governments would shut down the Gulen schools and give marching orders to the Turkish nationals running them. It turned out at the African states quite like having well-resourced schools catering for the local elites and did not oblige.

Pakistani rights group calls for immediate release of abducted Turkish principal, family

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) has called for the immediate release of Mesut Kaçmaz, the former principal of a Turkish school in Pakistan, and his family, who were reportedly abducted by Pakistani police in Lahore in the early hours of Wednesday.

3 journalists detained after interview with jailed Gülen-linked businessman

Three local journalists in Turkey’s Gaziantep province were detained by police after releasing an interview with jailed businessman Ahmet Selim Ener, who was imprisoned over alleged links to the Gülen movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Int’l language and culture festival ends with spectacular ceremony in Germany

Cancer patient arrested over Gülen links shortly after surgery

Int’l Festival of Language and Culture takes stage at European Parliament

Criticism and risks

Kimse Yok Mu helps flood victims in Tajikistan

Tanzanian Minister hails Turkey for continued support in education

EU Criticizes Kosovo, Turkey Over Deportation Of Six Erdogan Political Foes

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News