Hundreds of thousands homeless as Turkey’s southeast lay in ruins

A woman carries her belongings in Diyarbakir's Sur disrict.
A woman carries her belongings in Diyarbakir's Sur disrict.


Date posted: December 6, 2016

When the residents of Sirnak returned to the city last month after Turkish authorities lifted eight-month curfew during intense urban fighting between the Turkish security forces and Kurdish insurgents, they were shocked with what they saw: there was no home where they left.

Many captured with cellphones the moment of shock and disappointment of people desperately seeking to pinpoint their houses through mountain of rubbles. Dozens of streets, many neighborhoods and thousands of homes, buildings were leveled to the ground after months of ferocious fighting between the army and Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants in urban areas.

Amnesty International recently published a detailed report about the mass displacement of Kurds in Diyarbakir and offered a vivid account of “the desperate plight of families forces out of the historical centre of Diyarbakir,” Sur, the old part of the city.

The report came as hundreds of thousands of people have been internally displaced over the past two years across the region and need to adapt themselves to dire conditions as cold winter took rein in the region.

“Homes in the once-bustling district have been destroyed by shelling, demolished and expropriated to pave the way for a redevelopment project that very few former residents are likely to benefit from,” the report said.

“A year after a round-the-clock curfew was imposed in Sur, thousands of people displaced from their homes, struggling to make ends meet and facing an uncertain future in an increasingly repressive atmosphere,” John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International’s Europe Director, said over the mostly underreported issue.

He argued that forced displacement, which has devastated the lives of ordinary people, was little covered in the media while there was intense coverage of the crackdown against civil society in southeastern Turkey.

Several residents of Sur found their homes destroyed, belongings either possessed by authorities or burnt, when they returned to the area where they live after curfews lifted. Although clashes ended eighth months ago, the government does not allow residents return home, and some people who were able to somehow return to their neighborhoods, only to find their homes destroyed.

In return for their loss, residents who spoke to Amnesty International say they got little as compensation, far from what their property really worth.

Last year, a two-year fragile truce collapsed between the Turkish government and PKK militants after peace process launched by the authorities dramatically ended without substantial success.

PKK used that period to establish itself in cities and prepared for the day when the truce appeared to be bound to fail. Its decision to bring the war to cities also sparked resentment among Kurds who were used to support Kurdish political parties, and even tolerate PKK’s violent tactics against the state for its repression of the population.

“Shockingly, the desperate situation facing the displaced resident of Sur is mirrored in dozens of other districts across southeast Turkey. The government must act urgently to lift the curfew, ensure affected communities are fully compensated and either helped to return to what remains of their homes or, at the very least, to their neighborhoods,” the director told Amnesty International.

Source: Turkey Times , December 6, 2016


Related News

Hate towards Hizmet Movement as a political strategy

The Hizmet movement has broad support from every walk of life in the country. A very popular civic movement, many groups are sympathetic to the cause of the Hizmet. So, the image of the Hizmet had to be turned upside down.

Torture – Black Sites of Turkey

In a near-repeat of the CIA’s ‘extraordinary renditions’, the regime of Turkish president Erdoğan is kidnapping dozens of members of the Gülen movement from around the world. Victims are now raising a serious accusation: secret torture sites are part of the repression. A team of nine media organizations from eight countries, coordinated by CORRECTIV, investigates.

What are the golden kids of the Turkish Olympiads doing now?

SELAHATTİN SEVİ/MÜHENNA KAHVECİ/MEHMET ALİ POYRAZ, KYRGZSTAN/GEORGIA/ROMANIA/KENYA/BANGLADESH  Late summer heralds the arrival of Turkish language season in Anatolia. Teachers and students from all over the world pour into Turkey, each of them presenting their talents and skills onstage. Children of various backgrounds and nationalities recount fables, recite poems and sing songs across various parts of Turkey. Ahead […]

4-year-old visits dad in jail on Children’s Day wearing T-shirt with newborn brother’s picture

Minutes before paying a visit to her jailed father early on Sunday morning, H.A. was photographed in front of Sakarya L Type Prison wearing a T-shirt bearing a photo of her newborn baby brother.

History will record this [AK Party’s attack on Hizmet] as well

And this [AK Party’s attack on Hizmet] too shall pass and be overcome. As many other problems and painful experiences are left behind, this storm will also become part of history someday. We will be held to account for all of our deeds, even those committed in secret, in the next world. Given that this is reality and that we strongly and firmly believe in it, we will keep walking our path without taking any instance of infidelity to heart.

Turkish imams spied on Gülen sympathizers in Romania as well

A report published by The Black Sea news website on Saturday revealed that imams from Turkey’s Religious Affairs Directorate (Diyanet) spied on people sympathetic to Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the movement he inspired in Romania as well.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan in Africa: Gulen and trade ties

The letter that united America

In redemption days hoping for better

Truth and reconciliation in post-Erdoğan era

Students of Fatih Schools take first place in LYS and TEOG exams

Flynn’s Turkish [and Erdogan] Connection

Erdoğan’s AKP runs out of steam, then what?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News