Renewed attempt to target firm close to Hizmet exposed


Date posted: May 9, 2014

ISTANBUL

A prosecutor’s office in İstanbul is preparing to launch a new investigation into Kaynak Holding, a Turkish company close to the Hizmet movement, in an alleged attempt to reignite earlier claims of irregularities in the company, Today’s Zaman learned on Friday.

Kaynak was acquitted in a recent investigation in March which had alleged fraud within the company.

A Finance Ministry team examined tax documents related to Kaynak’s operations on the evening of March 26. On the same night, government media outlets aired reports online that referred to the inspection as a “raid.” Kaynak described the audit as a “routine visit,” denying claims of a raid.

The company also complained about what it said was an “intense smear campaign” against itself. It later took the issue to a court, which shortly after ruled that the inspections at Kaynak on March 26 were unlawful and that the documents confiscated during the inspections be returned to the firm. The firm said it still has not received its documents.

It later turned out that the Finance Ministry’s audit team had used falsified documents to carry out a tax inspection at Kaynak. The team used some e-mailed documents sent to them by an anonymous source, Ö.A, which failed to prove the allegations of irregularities at Kaynak.

A separate prosecutor’s office in İstanbul is now preparing to launch a new round of inspections at Kaynak. The office is again using e-mailed documents without confirming their authenticity, sources have told Today’s Zaman.

In addition, the prosecutor’s office has registered the new documents that it plans to use for the new inspection at Kaynak in a file named “Keynak” in the National Judiciary Network Project (UYAP). Legal experts have said this was done on purpose to keep the new investigation file secret. The experts said this is an illegal method of launching an investigation.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has accused Turkey’s largest Islamic group, the Hizmet movement, of orchestrating a plot to launch a graft inquiry targeting his family members, ministers and businessmen. He also accuses Hizmet followers of being involved in illicit wiretapped recordings of top government officials, which served to expand the scope of a corruption scandal which erupted on Dec. 17.

The operation at Kaynak Holding headquarters in March has raised questions over the motive behind the recent Finance Ministry visits to certain business groups and companies, with critics viewing them as politically motivated searches ordered by the government.

Last year, the police launched investigations into Turkey’s oil distributors, including the Turkish Petroleum Refineries Corporation (TÜPRAŞ) owned by Koç Holding, over suspicions of “trading irregularities” and evasion of private consumption tax (ÖTV). The controversial investigations came after Erdoğan issued stern warnings to a number of business groups — including Koç Holding — that opened their doors to protesters escaping riot police during the Gezi Park protests in İstanbul’s Taksim Square.

Erdoğan said the owners of Divan Hotel, which allowed the hotel to be used as a shelter for protesters who had clashed with the police, would pay for their stance once the protests were over. The Koç business group owns both Divan Hotel and TÜPRAŞ.

The recent raid on Kaynak Holding has led to fresh questions over the nature of the sudden government interest in these companies. Critics of the government have alleged that it is using all the tools at its disposal to punish opponents and rival businesses.

In one example of using his political clout to “punish” the movement, Erdoğan urged his followers not to send their children to the schools and institutions run by the Hizmet movement or to buy its newspapers. Erdoğan’s aides have separately called on Justice and Development Party (AK Party) followers to boycott companies and a participation bank that are close to the movement.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 9, 2014


Related News

Disabled woman loses health care due to son-in-law’s Gülen links

Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, a member of parliament from Turkey’s left wing pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), said the health care benefits of a gravely disabled woman were cut off because her son-in-law was a public servant dismissed from his job by government decree.

72-year-old Turkish man detained over coup charges

Gülen movement has been accused of masterminding the coup attempt on July 15 despite its successive statements that denied any involvement. Failing to back up its accusations with credible evidence, the government has detained more than 40,000 people and arrested 24,000 over their alleged links to the coup attempt since July 15.

Almost 1,000 officers removed from post in İzmir, Ankara

Around 700 police officers, including four deputy chiefs and 70 high-ranking officials, were removed from their posts at the İzmir Police Department and reassigned to different positions on Thursday morning and removals continued later in the afternoon with 207 more officers

Another woman faces detention just after giving birth as police await at hospital

Turkish police are waiting at Adana Avrupa Hospital to detain Elif Açıkgöz, who just gave birth by cesarean section, over alleged links to the Gülen movement, Samanyolu haber reported on Monday. After they were told that Açıkgöz could not be discharged from the hospital, police started  a vigil in front of her room.

Turkmen Alevite Association and Kimse Yok Mu distribute aid to 1840 families in Ramadan

Özdemir Özdemir, president of Turkmen Alevite Association, thanked Kimse Yok Mu and expressed that Ramadan is an important time for Alevite-Sunni brotherhood. Two organizations worked together, showing a good example of solidarity and brotherhood. The Alevite association identified 1840 needy families in Ankara and distributed food packages, which were supported by Kimse Yok Mu.

EU denies claims of designating Gülen group as ‘terrorist org’ in report

The European Union has denied claims by the Turkish press that it has, for the first time, called the Gülen movement a ‘terrorist’ organization in its upcoming progress report slated to be published on Tuesday. A source who spoke to Ahvalnews on the condition of anonymity categorically denied claims made by Turkish media sources.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen decries domestic violence

Hizmet’s approach to politics and politicians

New Constitution should have no barriers to mother tongue education

James Baker’s remarks about Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement

Turkish editor hits out at media coercion under Erdoğan

Hizmet and Turkey’s relations with Nigeria

Former Turkish officer at NATO: Coup attempt was never meant to succeed

Copyright 2024 Hizmet News