Gift From God: How Erdogan Turned July 15 Into Windfall


Date posted: December 6, 2016

MACIT FERHAN

Although almost five months have passed since an abortive coup that shattered and upset every aspect of political and social life in Turkey, the bloody event is still shrouded in mystery. Despite the fact that it played out live on TV on the night of July 15 and early hours of July 16 in front of the eyes of the millions of people, there is still scant evidence about its leadership, how it was planned and why it failed miserably.

The doomed putsch allowed Erdogan to launch his own coup to reshape the Turkish state by sweeping purges in all departments of the state bureaucracy. Numbers speak for itself. As of Dec. 1, more than 125,000 public officials have been dismissed.


According to an official narrative of the government, MIT learned the coup plans earlier in the day and its chief several times discussed it with army chief Akar. One fundamental contradiction was the fact that despite this early warning and intelligence, commanders of navy, ground forces and air forces attended a wedding ceremony that night.


“People flooded to streets to confront putschist elements and tanks. They successfully turned the coup to their own coup,” President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said while speaking at a ceremony to open a political history museum that carries the name of former President Abdullah Gul in central province of Kayseri. The president’s comments add additional suspicion that the attempted coup, executed in the most amateurish fashion possible, well might be staged by Erdogan himself.

As the coup was unfolding early July 16, Erdogan described the coup attempt as “a gift from God.” Since then, a series of actions taken by Erdogan, who is now ruling the country by decrees, shattered political foundations of the republic, left a deeply fractured army and ended rule of law by eradicating the basic tenets of judicial independence. The debilitating purge campaign included 3,500 judges and prosecutors.

While putschists were still making their push for the coup attempt, in his first reaction to the attempted takeover via FaceTime, Erdogan immediately placed the blame on U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen. Regardless of the scope of scapegoating that was evidently on display in recent years, Erdogan’s handling of the post-coup era and immediate purges in the judiciary provide a cautionary tale about the coup saga in Turkey.


While the entire nation watched the whole drama on streets live on TV, perpetrators behind the coup and how it took place have largely gone unanswered. And the government’s control of media and subsequent crackdown on critical media renders it almost impossible to learn the whole truth.


Whether it was a real coup or a staged one, Erdogan, in the eyes of many, successfully converted it into his own counter-coup by orchestrating the post-coup transformation of the state. A month before his arrest, pro-Kurdish People’s Democracy Party (HDP) leader Selahattin Demirtas bluntly accused Erdogan of not acting before the attempted coup to prevent it from taking place although there was strong intelligence about preparations of some army factions.

Speaking to fellow party members in Parliament back in September, he even went to say that many lawmakers, during their private conversations in the corridors of Parliament, acknowledged that the government had prior information about the coup and even it might be staged by themselves.

Officials note that the National Intelligence Agency (MIT) obtained information about coup plans on July 15, earlier in the day around 4:00 p.m. Erdogan later said he could not reach undersecretary Hakan Fidan as the coup started (He said he learned it from his brother-in-law). If Erdogan’s account is correct, it was not clear why Fidan did not inform the president about the plans, but instead went to headquarters of General Staff and met with the military chief Gen. Hulusi Akar to discuss counter-measures to stop it.

To the surprise of many, Fidan was able to keep his position despite the lack of communication and intelligence failure.

According to an official narrative of the government, MIT learned the coup plans earlier in the day and its chief several times discussed it with army chief Akar. One fundamental contradiction was the fact that despite this early warning and intelligence, commanders of navy, ground forces and air forces attended a wedding ceremony that night. When the putschists took action, tanks rolled into streets and fighter jets flew low over Istanbul and Ankara, many commanders, according to their testimony, learned the attempt via phone or television.

While the entire nation watched the whole drama on streets live on TV, perpetrators behind the coup and how it took place have largely gone unanswered. And the government’s control of media and subsequent crackdown on critical media renders it almost impossible to learn the whole truth.

Source: Turkey Times , December 5, 2016


Related News

Amnesty: 500,000 Kurds displaced in Turkey’s Southeast due to curfews, crackdown

Tens of thousands of residents of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sur are among an estimated half million people forced from their homes as a result of a brutal crackdown by Turkish authorities over the past year which may amount to collective punishment, said Amnesty International in a new report.

You Cannot Understand the Servants!

What will you say about the reaction of Mr. Akin Ipek after his enterprise has been shut down as an intimidation? If you forget, let me remind you what he said: “I would sacrifice my whole fortune for a smile of Hocaefendi (Fethullah Gulen).” Can you understand this soul?

Three ministers resign as one urges PM to step down amid corruption probe

Environment and Urban Planning Minister Erdoğan Bayraktar, in a harsh statement, claimed that he had been pressured to submit his own resignation to save the prestige of the government, adding that the prime minister should also quit as most of the amendments on construction plans mentioned in the corruption investigation were made on Erdoğan’s orders.

Turkey’s latest bombing will help its president amass more power

Mr Erdogan likes to cast himself as a cure for the chaos spreading across Turkey. Yet he is also one of its causes. Courting the nationalist vote, Mr Erdogan has ruled out peace talks with the PKK. Responding to PKK attacks against security targets in 2015, he inflamed the conflict by arresting Kurdish politicians, pulverising towns in the southeast, and displacing some 500,000 people.

Belgium firm to sue Turkey over Gülen-linked assets

A Belgian company, Cascade Investments NV, has launched an $80 million arbitration claim against Turkey in the World Bank’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ISCID).

Former minister inquires about secret plot against Gülen movement

Former minister with ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İdris Naim Şahin has submitted a lengthy inquiry to the Turkish Parliament, asking if there is a secret plot against members of the Gülen movement and if the government has mobilized all its resources to gather evidence through any means.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Corruption investigation: Questions that will hound PM Erdoğan

Students, Parents Protest Over Afghan-Turk Schools’ Transfer To Maarif Foundation

Turkish experience in Sudan: making a difference

A Canadian-Saudi’s reflections on Hizmet

Syrian refugees worry about housing as winter approaches

Mozambican president: I will continue to support Turkish schools

Why is Erdoğan hostile to Turkish schools?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News