NGO: plot to take over Turkish schools will fail in Africa


Date posted: November 13, 2016

THE Head of the Civil Society Action Coalition on Education For All (CSACEFA) – the umbrella body of over 600 education civil society organisations – Mrs. Chioma Osuji, said at the weekend that the plot by a Turkish government-backed organisation to take over Turkish schools would fail in Africa.

She queried: “How is that possible? An NGO taking over private investments with the aid of the government? That’s not possible. They can’t just wake up one day and take over the schools. That would be terrible.

“This is Africa. We won’t allow any foreign country to treat us like one banana continent. I don’t really see any country in Africa buying that. Certainly not Nigeria. It would be met with stiff opposition.”

CSACEFA was formed in the run-up to the World Education Summit in Dakar, capital of Senegal, in 2000 by 40 education NGOs in Africa. It now has well over 600 CSOs as members.

Mrs. Osuji said Hizmet Movement schools, otherwise known as Turkish schools, are contributing to the development of education in Nigeria and other African countries.

She urged African governments to resist any plot by the Turkish government to undermine their sovereignties and respectability by accepting its disguised order to hand over the Turkish schools to Maarif Foundation.

Turkish authorities launched a massive crackdown on the Hizmet Movement after the July 15 failed coup, arresting 20,000 public servants and dismissing nearly 150,000 public officials over alleged ties to the movement.

The government has also confiscated the properties of hundreds of companies and arrested leading businessmen over suspected links to the movement.

Despite tremendous efforts exerted by the government, only a few countries have given in to pressure from Ankara over the shutdown of Hizmet-linked schools, with a majority of them refusing to meet the demands of the Turkish government.

After failing in his bid to make governments across the world close schools run by Hizmet Movement associates, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has established a decoy foundation to achieve his aim.

An NGO, Maarif Foundation, could not secure financial support from local Turkish businessmen, forcing the government to turn to gulf countries for funding.

The Turkish government has been making vigorous efforts to make other countries close Hizmet Movement-affiliated schools over the allegations that the movement orchestrated the July 15 failed attempt to topple it.

On September 14, Turkish Minister of Education Ismet Yilmaz announced that the Maarif Foundation was planning to take over 65 schools linked with Hizmet Movement in 15 countries.

Unanimous government sources said the latest move was aimed at taking control of the schools and closing them afterwards.

Source: The Nation , November 14, 2016


Related News

Autistic children left unattended as teacher parents under arrest over alleged coup links

Uz family has two children with autism who were left to fend for themselves after their parents were arrested as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement after the July 15 coup attempt.

CSOs slam ongoing black propaganda against Hizmet movement

The Law and Democracy Platform, which includes 60 CSOs in İzmir province, held a press conference to protest the polarizing language used by government officials. The representative of the platform, Ömer Mustafa Aytekin, said there have been very unpleasant developments that risk democracy and the rule of law in Turkey.

Gülen: The coup attempt was an outrageous scenario constructed by Erdoğan

“Last year’s failed coup attempt in Turkey [was] nothing but a false flag orchestrated by Turkey’s autocratic President Erdoğan and his henchmen to create a pretext for [the] mass persecution of critics and opponents in a state of perpetual emergency,” SCF concluded.

More Academics, Teachers, Charity Staff Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links

Tens of academics, teachers, university staff and aid organization personnel were detained by police in Turkey over alleged links with Gülen movement.

Gülen calls on followers to adapt to PM’s teaching center closures

“If they close your homes, you should open dorms. If they close your dorms, you will open new homes. If they close your schools, you will respond by opening a university. And when they close your university, you should open ten schools. You should never stop marching,” Gülen said in a video that was posted at Herkül.org, a website close to the movement.

Erdogan’s Faux Coup may have been Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

Michael Rubin of the American Enterprise Institute just gave us a pat on the back confirming our original assessment of July 2016 that Erdogan had staged the July 2016 coup. Several career Turkish military officers make a persuasive case that Erdogan’s narrative is false and that the coup was essentially Turkey’s equivalent of the Reichstag fire.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Hakan Şükür’s resignation: Rebellion of a conscience

Gaza group: Oppression targeting Kimse Yok Mu harms needy the most

Philippine education minister invites Turks to open more schools in his country

Turkish NGO sends aid to Syrians

Academics praise Gülen’s contribution to world peace at symposium in Washington D.C.

AFSV Denounces President Erdogan’s Seizure of Leading Newspaper Zaman

Orphanage school principal: Accusing Kimse Yok Mu of terror endangers Kyrgyz orphans

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News