Minister: Turkish gov’t racks up $5 bln in confiscation of Gülen-linked properties


Date posted: October 8, 2016

The value of immovable properties including dormitories, real estates and schools that the government has confiscated as part of its clampdown against Gülen movement so far, totals around TL 15 billion or $4.9 billion, according to Environment and Urban Planning Minister Mehmet Özhaseki.

A total of 3,333 premises were taken over by the Finance Ministry and 2,086 others by the Prime Ministry’s Directorate General of Foundations as part of government decrees issued under emergency rules, Özhaseki said.

The government seized another 1,176 properties that were not covered by decrees, the minister said adding that authorities also blocked 155,000 transactions concerning sales and transfers of properties.

“All those immovable properties worth around TL 15 billion,” Özhaseki said.

Yet, figures given by the minister do not fit with those of Akın İpek, the CEO of Koza İpek Holding until the conglomerate’s confiscation, who said that 18 of the group’s confiscated companies alone were worth over $10 billion.

Government-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) President Şakir Ercan Gül announced this week that the government has seized a total of 252 companies over their alleged links to the movement.

The government accuses the movement of masterminding a July 15 coup attempt even though the latter denies involvement, demanding credible evidence.

The government’s crackdown against the movement, however, is not limited to the period following the coup attempt since the managements of many institutions affiliated with the movement have already seized by the TMSF over the course of the past three years.

Among the large conglomerates that have recently been confiscated by the TMSF are Koza-İpek Holding, Boydak Holding, Dumankaya Holding, Kaynak Holding and Naksan Holding.

The government also seized Turkey’s then-largest Islamic lender, Bank Asya, over its ties to the movement.

Source: Turkey Purge , October 8, 2016


Related News

‘Who do you like most, Erdoğan or Gülen?’ Turkish teacher asks primary school students

A religious culture and moral knowledge teacher at a Turkish primary school has asked students about their preference between President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, parents complain. Evrensel daily quoted parents as saying that students aging between 9 to 10, become cold of religious culture courses and prefer not to attend in classes amid similar incidents.

UN representative found evidence of torture in Turkish prisons

The majority of the abuse occurred during the times of arrest and interrogation, his report noted, adding that most of those who have been subjected to torture have not filed complaints “for fear of retaliation against them and their families and because of their distrust in the independence of the prosecution and the judiciary.

Turkey’s Gulen Demand – The U.S. shouldn’t extradite the exiled Turk without better evidence

Turkey is demanding that the U.S. extradite Fethullah Gulen whom Ankara accuses of orchestrating this month’s failed military coup. “The evidence is crystal clear,” PM Yildirim told the Journal Tuesday, adding that Washington’s request for evidence of Mr. Gulen’s guilt is superfluous “when 265 people have been killed.” If that’s Mr. Yildirim’s standard of proof, Washington should deny the request.

Is the AK Party turning into the old CHP?

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu and EU Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu had attributed the EU and global media’s criticisms of the AK Party administration’s mistakes to the Hizmet movement.

Gülen’s lawyer: Views other than state ideology considered a crime in Turkey

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer of prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has criticized the blocking of herkul.org, a website that regularly broadcasts speeches by Gülen, saying views that are different from the state ideology are considered a crime in Turkey today.

Swoboda accuses Erdoğan of using Hizmet movement as a pretext

Socialist leader Hannes Swoboda asked “You were still supporting the Hizmet movement a year ago. Now you use the movement as an excuse for halting reforms. Why do you see them as a danger to Turkey now?”
Sources said Swoboda made it very clear that the EU was very concerned about the state of the rule of law in Turkey. “We are very concerned about the rule of law and the separation of powers, especially the independence of the judiciary,” he stressed.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Dutch, German intelligence agencies uncover Turkish kidnapping, murder plots

Aydan Meydan from Bosna Sema School won the “Inspiring Educator Award”!

CHP submits parliamentary question on anti-Hizmet plot

FM Davutoğlu orders ambassadors to avoid Turkish Olympiads

Media freedom in Turkey takes another blow

Defamation – Turkey’s Justice Minister: Gülen Followers Take Christian Names To Infiltrate Western States

EP says Erdoğan’s ‘treason’ accusation ‘totally unacceptable’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News