Fethullah Gulen says will return to Turkey if US backs extradition


Date posted: September 23, 2016

Berlin: US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen is ready to return to Turkey if Washington approves Ankara’s request for his extradition over the failed July coup, he told German broadcaster ZDF on Friday.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused Gulen of ordering the failed putsch and Ankara wants Washington to arrest the Islamic cleric and deliver him to Turkish authorities.

“If the United States says yes, then I will go, it’s not a problem. Then I will spend the rest of my days tormented (by the government) and so I will reach God as a pure man,” Gulen said.

The preacher, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, has denied any involvement in the putsch.

Calling for an international probe into the accusation, Gulen told ZDF that he would be ready to answer to such an investigation.

“An international organisation should investigate the case. If their accusations stand, then I will accept what they want. But they have neither succeeded in showing any concrete proof nor given an answer to my suggestion. Therefore, these are all just mere assertions,” he said.

The preacher accused Ankara of using the putsch as an excuse to crack down on followers of his Hizmet movement, which runs a network of private schools, businesses and media outlets.

“It was all planned in advance. They needed a serious excuse. If there is such an excuse then the case would be accepted by the international community, or so that’s what they thought,” said Gulen.

Ankara has on several occasions asked the US authorities to extradite Gulen, sending them documents which allegedly show evidence of his involvement in the putsch.

Early last month, an Istanbul court issued a formal arrest warrant for Gulen, who has denied any involvement in the botched coup.

When US Vice President Joe Biden visited Ankara several weeks later, he said he understood the “intense feeling” in Turkey over Gulen but added that the extradition request can only be approved if legal provisions are met.

Ankara launched sweeping raids in the wake of the coup, arresting and firing tens of thousands of public servants including soldiers, police officers and teachers.

Over 20,000 people are still believed to be held under arrest in the wake of the July 15 coup in a crackdown that has caused international controversy.

Source: Deccan Chronicle , September 23, 2016


Related News

Turkish minister: Gülen movement is worse than Nazis

Turkey’s European Union Minister Ömer Çelik on Monday portrayed the Gülen movement as being worse than the Nazis, saying the Nazis were like apprentices or primary school students in comparison to members of the movement.

Kemalo-Islamists versus civil society and Hizmet

İHSAN YILMAZ When summarizing the recent Cabinet meeting to correspondents, the speaker of the Cabinet, Bülent Arınç, referred to a religious concept, “fitnah” (sedition). He was implying that the Hizmet movement was engaged in an illegitimate psychological media campaign against his government. He even a recited a hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) on fitnah […]

Turkey: Erdogan’s macabre dance in Africa

What is the sense in advocating for the transfer of investments of private individuals to a government backed NGO? Is President Erdogan indirectly telling African leaders that his empire in Turkey extends to African countries hence the outrageous demand? From the preceding, it is clear that President Erdogan has little or no respect for African nations hence this anomaly. I also beg to state here that the politics of Turkey should be left in Turkey.

Kosovo President: Arrest of Gulenists was wrong

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci in a televised interview for T7 admitted for the first time that the arrest and deportation of the six Turkish men suspected of their links with Fetullah Gulen’s movement was wrong. Thaci has earlier publicly endorsed the extraditions, saying the six Turks were a danger to the fledgling country’s national security.

Turkey’s Curious Coup – positions of the Turkish Government, Gulen Movement and Turkey’s Western allies

Within days of the coup attempt, James Clapper, the then-Director of US National Intelligence, said that they had not seen any intelligence indicating Gülen’s involvement. Bruno Kahl, head of Germany’s BND foreign intelligence agency, said during an interview in March 2017 that he did not believe Gülen was behind the coup.

Report: Police chief sets up teams to torture post-coup detainees

“The day I was detained, five police officers took me to a mountain and beat the hell out of me. I have been kicked in the head and genital area tens of times. I managed to identify two of the torturers. One of them was called Nejdet and the other one was Battal. Yet, maybe they use nicknames…. I do not have strength to tell you about all the humiliating sexual torture I faced that night,” a victim said.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Dr. Lilian Sison: Fethullah Gülen is a pioneer of peace

Elvan Foods: Our exports extended to 130 countries thanks to Turkish Schools

Fethullah Gülen backs peace talks between government and PKK

Textile firms expand $153 bln export industry at TUSKON meeting

Turkey to bid farewell to rule of law if president approves HSYK law

Albanian Speaker of the Parliament: Schools of “Gulen” Movement will not be closed

Turkey Systematically And Deliberately Jails Women As Part Of Fear And Intimidation Campaign

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News