72-year-old Turkish man detained over coup charges
Date posted: September 21, 2016
A total of 12 people, among them a 72-year-old Turkish man, were detained as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement in the Black Sea province of Zonguldak on Monday.
The elderly man, known by initials H.A., was brought to the court for testimony by the help of gendarmerie officers with a stick on his hand.
Detainees were reportedly suspected of having used ByLock, a smartphone messaging application or what Turkish prosecutors calls the top communication tool among the members of the movement. Apart from suspected of the Bylock use, H.A. is allegedly accused of being the representative of the movement in a village in Zonguldak.
Gülen movement has been accused of masterminding the coup attempt on July 15 despite its successive statements that denied any involvement. Failing to back up its accusations with credible evidence, the government has detained more than 40,000 people and arrested 24,000 over their alleged links to the coup attempt since July 15.
Turkey shies away from legal measures to provide equal opportunity in education
The recent move to close down prep schools that serve to significantly boost equal opportunity in education may be seen as yet another failure to promote equality on the part of a government which has not yet ratified a UNESCO agreement to end discrimination in education.
President Gül inaugurates Turkish school in Kenya
ÜNAL AYDIN President Abdullah Gül attended the inauguration of a Turkish school in Nairobi on Saturday, where he traveled last week to improve political and economic relations between Turkey and Africa. The inauguration of Işık Lisesi (Light High School), which accepted its first students last year, was attended by President Gül, his wife, Hayrünnisa, and […]
Corruption probe [in Turkey]
Radikal’s Cüneyt Özdemir said that even if some people interpret the corruption operation as a manifestation of the rift between the Hizmet movement and the government, it does not reduce the importance and seriousness of the allegations directed against the detainees. “The fact that it involves the general manager of a state-run bank and the sons of three ministers shows us the importance of this investigation,” he said.
Victims of Turkey’s purge exploited also by lawyers with exorbitantly high fees
Victims of Turkey’s post-coup purge have been taking another toll from lawyers who ask outrageously high prices either to keep themselves out of trouble or to exploit from the lost causes. In Turkey, the presumption of innocence has been dramatically reversed and now everybody is assumed guilty until they prove their innocence.
Abant Platform meeting launches with identity debates in Turkey
SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME, ABANT/BOLU/TURKEY The Abant Platform started its 28th meeting on Friday at Lake Abant with the participation of over a hundred intellectuals, academics, journalists and pundits from different ideological backgrounds to discuss the current issues in Turkey. The first theme of the meeting was on Turkey’s issues of identity. Participants agreed that the misinterpretation […]
Erdogan’s hunt for Gülenists, at home and abroad, includes abductions, torture and disappearances
Turkey’s crackdown has targeted ordinary citizens, suspected of links with Gülen’s Islamic movement. The country’s secret services have seized people in broad daylight, at home and abroad. Violence is used to extort confessions and denunciations. A victim speaks out.
Latest News
Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan
SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis
Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison
Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney
Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement
ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment
New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement
European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests
ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases
In Case You Missed It
Prominent Alevi leader welcomes Gülen’s remarks on bridge controversy
Turkish FM calls on Gülen Movement for dialogue to find way out political crisis
Graduation ceremony of the Turkish school in Senegal
First Documentary on the Hizmet Movement
‘Removal of Gülen’s books from NT shelves offends the public’
A Peace Conference to be held at UN in Geneva
73-year-old says looking after grandchildren as daughter, son-in-law behind bars