Turkey may be challenged in ECtHR due to massive crackdown, CoE head warns


Date posted: September 10, 2016

Turkey must avoid targeting individuals simply because they worked for firms affiliated with the Gulen Movement, otherwise it may be challenged in the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR), the Council of Europe (CoE) Secretary General Thorbjorn Jagland urged.

Turkey must produce clear evidence in pursuing participants in a failed coup, Jagland said on September, according to Reuters.

“We are stressing to the Turks that they have to present clear evidence, be able to separate those who were clearly behind the coup and those who have been in some way or another connected to or working for this so-called Gulen network,” Jagland was further quoted as saying.

Turkey accuses the movement of being the organizer of the July 15 coup attempt which killed over 240 people and wounded a thousand others. While the government has yet to bring forward any credible evidence in supporting its claims, the movement has denied involvement on many occasions.

More than 100,000 people including civil servants, teachers, journalists and soldiers suspended or sacked according to Reuters count. While 43,000 have been detained, 23,000 people arrested on coup charges so far.

Source: Turkey Purge , September 8, 2016


Related News

Fethullah Gülen’s lawyers fear attacks on his life amid calls for return to Turkey

“We’re very concerned about his safety,” said Reid Weingarten, a member of Gülen’s legal team, at a press conference on Friday in Washington DC. Weingartern repeated Gülen’s denials that he was involved in the attempted coup attempt and suggested that the Turkish government’s evidence will fall far short of American legal standards. “For Mr Gülen to be involved, he would have to be acting inconsistent with everything he’s done his entire adult life,” he said.

Turkish PM asks citizens for help in witch-hunt against Gülen sympathizers

Describing Gülen movement people as “microbes,” the prime minister told citizens to “cleanse the microbes” from society as they serve the country and the nation no good. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had called Gülen sympathizers “viruses” long before Turkey’s massive purge accelerated in the post-July 15 era.

Fethullah Gulen denies ties to attempted coup in Turkey

As a wave of violence washed over Turkey, President Erdogan pointed the finger of blame to Fethullah Gulen. In a rare interview with CNN’s

Journalist and Writers Foundation welcomes EP’s transparency calls to Hizmet movement

Most recently, on Dec. 30, 2013, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), whose honorary president is Mr. Fethullah Gülen, issued a press release calling on those making allegations about the Hizmet movement to provide evidence to prove their claims without delay.

Gift From God: How Erdogan Turned July 15 Into Windfall

According to an official narrative of the government, MIT learned the coup plans earlier in the day and its chief several times discussed it with army chief Akar. One fundamental contradiction was the fact that despite this early warning and intelligence, commanders of navy, ground forces and air forces attended a wedding ceremony that night.

EP discusses transparency call for Hizmet

In a letter dated Jan. 20 that was sent to all members of the EP, the Brussels-based Intercultural Dialogue Platform (IDP), whose honorary president is Gülen, stated that it welcomes calls upon the Hizmet movement to improve its transparency and accountability.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Romanian Judge Blocks Extradition of Second Arrested ‘Gulenist’

Uplifting Romanian children in need

When lawlessness becomes a way of life

Businessmen, politicians, religious leaders come together at GYV iftar

Video shows Malaysia detained Turkish expats at Turkey’s request

Dutch politicians outraged over new “Gulen-List”

Kimse Yok Mu delivered aid to Arakan Muslims

Copyright 2024 Hizmet News