Veteran who lost legs in PKK attack removed from civil service over Gulen links


Date posted: September 19, 2016

A Kırıkkale man who lost his both legs in a PKK attack while doing military service in the eastern province of Bingöl, has been sacked from a state institution after authorities found out that private colleges linked to Gülen Movement granted scholarship to his children.

The movement stands accused of orchestrating the July 15 coup attempt despite its successive denials. The government meanwhile carries out an ever-growing witch-hunt against any individual allegedly suspected of being linked to the movement.

Harun İpek, a 41-year-old father of four, lost his two legs after he stepped on a mine planted by the outlawed PKK in 2001. He served as a public worker at Kırıkkale branch of the Directorate of Nature Conservation and National Parks until he was fired.

“My children used to be proud of being children of a veteran. Now they are seen as infidels. …I have not been told about the underlying reason [for my removal]. Due to the reasons beyond my control, I sent my children to such schools for seven years in freely-granted veteran-quota,” İpek said.

More than 100,000 people have been either sacked or suspended from state institutions over their alleged links to the movement so far.

Source: Turkey Purge , Sep 18, 2016


Related News

Al-Nusra Claims Responsibility For Murder Of Russian Ambassador, Warns Of More Attacks

The Jabhat Fatah al-Sham organization (formerly the al-Nusra Front) claimed to be responsible for Monday’s murder of Russian Ambassador Andrey Karlov’s in Ankara. Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu had even told his US counterpart John Kerry that both Turkey and Russia “know” that the Gulen movement was behind the ambassador’s murder.

Turkish teacher kidnapped in Mongolia freed after authorities ground flight

A Turkish teacher, who was allegedly kidnapped in the Mongolian capital of Ulaanbaatar and taken to the city’s airport, has been released after authorities temporarily grounded an airplane, according to local media and a social media posting by the man.

Terrorist investigation against Kimse Yok Mu draws strong reactions

A shocking investigation being conducted by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office against prominent charity organization Kimse Yok Mu on charges of terrorism has been met with strong reactions from experts, who question how a charity can be accused of terrorism for delivering aid to those in need.

Hizmet movement and perceptions

We are going through a very critical period. We need the common sense and support of all the precious members of the Hizmet movement as we have never needed them before. We must protect our democratic gains. I pen this article as a person who closely sided with the Hizmet movement during the attacks of Ergenekon — a clandestine organization nested within the state trying to overthrow or manipulate the democratically elected government — and the deep state, and who backed its justified objections to the government’s plan to shut down the prep schools.

Gülen says Turkey’s democracy eroding under AK Party rule

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said Turkey, which was not long ago the envy of Muslim-majority countries with its bid to become an EU member and dedication to being a functioning democracy, is reversing progress and clamping down on civil society, the media, the judiciary and free enterprise under the rule of the governing Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

Why should education in Pakistan be held hostage to the politics of other countries, however brotherly?

If Pakistan does indeed give in to pressure from the Turkish government, the move will be ironic, given the number of madressahs currently operating in the country with established links to political, religious or denominational movements that have a more than suspected record of terrorism, violence and spurious religious indoctrination.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Winds of friendship were enjoyed in different parts of Turkey during the month of Muharram

Turkish Cultural Center Vermont opened it doors at a ceremony held in Burlington

Panel Discussion – The Gulen Schools In Central Asia

The Fountain 100th Issue Essay Contest

Jailed woman in hospital for delivery to be returned to jail with new-born

Liberals silent as Turkey targets its own Khashoggi

Gülen urges Hizmet members to defend prep schools in civilized way

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News