Fethullah Gülen’s lawyers fear attacks on his life amid calls for return to Turkey


Date posted: August 5, 2016

Megan Carpentier

Legal team for US-based cleric accused by Turkey’s president of orchestrating coup also says it ‘would bet any money’ intelligence agencies are monitoring him.

Lawyers representing Fethullah Gülen, the US-based cleric accused by Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of orchestrating the failed 15 July coup attempt, have said that they fear attacks against his life and suggested that multiple intelligence agencies – including American ones – have long been monitoring his electronic communications.

“We’re very concerned about his safety,” said Reid Weingarten, a member of Gülen’s legal team, at a press conference on Friday in Washington DC.

The Turkish government has informally requested that Gülen be returned to Turkey, though the US cannot initiate extradition proceedings until formal charges were brought against the cleric.

On Thursday, an Istanbul court issued a warrant for Gülen’s arrest, accusing him of orchestrating the attempted coup, which resulted in at least 238 deaths and led to the dismissal of tens of thousands of public servants.

Now that the warrant has been issued, the US Department of Justice will assess the evidence against him and determine whether, as the extradition treaty requires, the laws Gülen is accused of breaking are compatible with US legislation.

Gülen has lived in rural Pennsylvania since 1999, but does not have US citizenship.

Weingartern repeated Gülen’s denials that he was involved in the attempted coup attempt and suggested that the Turkish government’s evidence will fall far short of American legal standards. “For Mr Gülen to be involved, he would have to be acting inconsistent with everything he’s done his entire adult life,” he said.

He also said that Gülen’s supporters believe that all electronic communications in and out the cleric’s compound have probably been monitored for years, but no evidence of criminal activity had been revealed.

I would bet a lot of money that there are probably three or four intelligence agencies that capture every electronic communication that comes out of the compound in Pennsylvania,” said Weingarten. “I would guess – and it’s an educated guess – that one or two of those intelligence agencies are ours.

“I bet if there were communications that Mr Gülen has assisted with wrongdoing, we would know about it,” he said, adding that the US director of national intelligence, James Clapper, has said that no such evidence exists.

“I’m also guessing that if the United States had evidence of Mr Gülen’s involvement with the coup or anyone whatsoever, their instinct would be to share it with the Turks,” Weingarten said.

Gülen and his Hizmet movement were once close allies of Erdoğan and his Justice and Development (AK) party, but relations have steadily deteriorated since the mid-2000s.

Weingarten said that he and his colleagues at Steptoe & Johnson had begun representing Gülen in 2014, as the Turkish government began making allegations that the lawyers viewed as “absurd”.

“On one day, Mr Gülen would be a protege of Osama bin Laden. On the next day, he was a Mossad agent. The day after that, he was sympathetic to Isis. The day after that, he was a cardinal for the pope,” he said. “Since [the coup], from our perspective, the crazy allegations only increased.”

Turkish officials have warned that a failure to extradite Gülen would have long-term consequences for Turkish-US diplomatic relations, but Weingarten stressed that extradition is a legal process, not a political one.

“In extradition proceedings, evidence matters, and due process matters,” he said.

That due process would have to begin with a determination from the Department of Justice that Gülen was eligible for extradition, after which the cleric would be allowed hearings in federal court to determine whether the evidence against him constituted probable cause for that extradition.

If the courts did find that the Turkish government had established probable cause, the US state department would have to certify that Gülen would face a fair trial if returned to Turkey.

Turkey is a Nato member and is seen by the US as a key ally in the fight against Isis, but Weingarten said he did not think that US foreign policy interests would trump the rule of law. “We understand and believe that the people making the decisions in the United States government know full well what the rules are and we have entire confidence in them that they will act appropriately,” he said.

But, he noted: “Britain has used rendition. The United States has used rendition. And once he’s on the plane, he’s gone.”

Related Article: Expert’s opinion: Turkey’s Demanding Extradition Of Fethullah Gülen Is Frivolous Grandstanding

 

Source: The Guardian , August 5, 2016


Related News

Madeleine Albright’s remarks about Gulen Movement

In a world that lacks direction, there can be no doubt that a pathfinder is needed. It is much more likely to be found in the values that reside at the heart of the Gülen Institute and this luncheon series. These values include commitment to international dialogue, an understanding of cultural diversity, support for human justice and a love of peace.

Tunisian scholar Ghannouchi: Gülen promotes ‘noble Islam’

EYÜP YAŞAR, TUNISIA The head of Tunisia’s largest opposition movement, Rachid Ghannouchi, has warned that Islam is endangered by radicalism, which he described as a project of bringing about incitement and civil war. The Ennahda leader was invited to the symposium titled “Ijma as a Common Roadmap and Collective Awareness” that is scheduled to take […]

Turkey’s ‘Nazi-style’ purge of academia condemned

The mass sacking of more than 1,200 academics in Turkey has been compared to tactics used in Nazi Germany. Jean Asselborn, Luxembourg’s foreign minister, made his comments shortly after Turkish authorities released a list of 1,273 academics fired from public universities on 29 October.

Fethullah Gulen’s Condemnation and Condolences Message on Istanbul Terrorist Attack

The cruelty of terrorism that we have witnessed numerous times before showed its ugly face again in Istanbul on January 12th. I strongly condemn this brutal terrorist attack that targeted tourists visiting Turkey.

Gülen urges Hizmet members to defend prep schools in civilized way

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has urged followers of the Hizmet movement to insist on the “right and logical” and defend prep schools, which the Turkish government has said it will shut down despite tremendous public outrage. In a speech broadcast by herkul.org, a website that usually publishes his speeches, Gülen said not insisting on […]

Witch hunt against the Gülen followers in Europe

Political madness in Turkey is at its peak. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan does not even refrain from using the term “witch hunt” against the Gülen followers. When Erdoğan and his circle don’t find any evidence, they allegedly try to produce evidence. Bureaucrats who don’t want to be part of Erdoğan’s witch hunt have sent letters to the media and prosecutors confessing what they are doing. Unfortunately, what they said in those letters has been confirmed by later developments.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

The Hizmet Movement: ‘Terrorist’ or Terrorised?

Bosnia rejects Turkey’s extradition request for journalist over Gülen links

Turkish officials cancel green passport of Islamic scholar Gülen

TUSKON encourages businessmen to shift sights toward India

Turkish cleric demands fatwa to amputate hands, feet of Gülen followers

Cabinet bans charity Kimse Yok Mu from collecting donations

The AKP, Gülen and Feb. 28 coup

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News