Fethullah Gulen: I am not hiding and not on the run


Date posted: July 30, 2016

SAYLORSBURG, PA — Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, living in self-imposed exile in the United States, denied on Friday (July 30) allegations made by some Turkish and Arab media networks that he had escaped from the U.S.

NRT correspondent Huner Anwer spoke with Gulen in an exclusive interview at his residence in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania. Gulen told NRT he is not in hiding and made it clear he has not left his highly secured home in the state despite suggestions made by Ankara that he may be on the run.

Gulen, whose extradition the Turkish government is pursuing, denied any connection with the failed coup attempt in Turkey and said his activities are occupied with his daily routine at the “Golden Generation Worship and Retreat Center.”

Gulen said through a translator that he has been living in his Pennsylvania residence since 1999 due to his own decision.

The Islamic cleric said he has faith the world will not believe the accusations that he was behind the coup attempt and insists he has always been against military intervention.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his government have blamed Gulen for supposedly orchestrating the coup attempt.

Erdogan officially designated Gulen’s religious movement a terrorist group in May and said he would pursue its members.

The Turkish Consul-General to Erbil said on Thursday (July 28) the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) should recognize the Hizmet Organization of Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen as a “terrorist organization.”

Mehmet Akif Inam, the Turkish Consul-General, said during a press conference on Thursday that he would direct requests to the KRG in the near future regarding the Hizmet Organization and schools run by the group in the Kurdistan Region.

The KRG Ministry of Education said it would abide by any decision made by the KRG Council of Ministers concerning the closure of the organization’s schools in the Kurdistan Region.

Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region.

The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

Source: NRT TV , July 30, 2016


Related News

Prep school debate [in Turkey] continues

According to Bugün columnist Adem Yavuz Arslan, some newspapers, such as Akit, use very harsh language against the Hizmet movement in the prep school debate. Arslan wrote that newspapers are free to criticize things, but the criticism cannot be made as a form of revenge. The right to open a prep school is a democratic right, Arslan said.

Nepalese surprised at Turkish teachers staying to help after earthquake

A group of Nepalese people, who were offered shelter at Meridian Turkish schools in the country after last Saturday’s devastating earthquake in the country, said on Wednesday that they were surprised and thankful that Turkish teachers did not leave after the earthquake occurred, unlike many other non-Nepalese nationals, according to a report by the Cihan news agency.

Turkey’s efforts in Somalia

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation, in cooperation with the local Bedir Schools, has definitely undertaken great initiatives, in an effort to combat the famine, drought and tragedy in Somalia.

Pro-Rashid Dostum Afghan security forces raided Afghan-Turk Boys High School in Shibirghan

An Afghan-Turk Boys High School was raided by the Afghan security forces under the command of Uzbek leader Abdul Rashid Dostum, controversial First Vice President of Afghanistan, early Saturday morning and detained Turkish teachers, dozens of students and their parents in order to seize the school at the request of Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan.

More emphasis should be given to improving students’ functional skills

Tens of educators, bureaucrats and representatives of civil society organizations and private education foundations from Turkey and 15 other countries, have said the Turkish education system should not only focus on transferring information but also on improving students’ functional skills and capabilities.

Is Erdogan’s smile worth more than the tears of Pak-Turk students?

Around 400 Turks living in Pakistan have been ordered by the Pakistani government to leave in next three days. Isn’t it deplorable that the government has to do so only to bring a radiant smile on Erdogan’s face? Is Erdogan’s smile worth more than the tears of Pak-Turk students?

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Pro-gov’t media knows no limits in ’parallel’ claims

Afghan minister: Afghanistan will continue to support Turkish schools

Turkish experts and doctors seek asylum in Greece

Answers to the questions about the Hizmet [Gulen] movement

Nigerian daily: Turkey at risk of becoming polarised because of Erdogan

Alevi problems deeper than they seem, opinion leaders agree

Erdogan goes after Morocco’s Gulenists

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News