Gülen condemns Pakistan attack, asks Muslims to protect minorities


Date posted: March 31, 2016

Renowned Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly condemned the brutal terrorist attack on a children playground in the eastern city of Lahore, Pakistan that killed at least 72 and wounded more than 300 people, including many children.

“I have learned with grief about the horrible terrorist attack in Lahore, Pakistan that took 72 lives, majority of whom women and children,” Gülen, who resides in rural Pennsylvania, said in a statement.

He condemned the attack in the “strongest terms”, denouncing “all forms of terror regardless of their perpetrators.”

Gülen is among Muslim clerics who are usually quick in condemning terrorist attacks perpetrated on behalf of Islam and emerged as a moderate voice at a time when attacks by sympathizers of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) are on the rise across Europe.

Gülen described assaults on civilians as a murder, a “violation of the sanctity of life” that “deserves nothing but unconditional condemnation in the strongest terms.”

The blast occurred in one of the largest and most popular public parks in Lahore, Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park. Victims are mostly Christians, who came out to celebrate Easter.

On Monday, the entire city was almost shut down, while the people were pouring in to the hospitals and the cemeteries. A spring festival was also cancelled.

The suicide bombing on Sunday in Pakistan is only one of dozens of attacks that have killed hundreds of civilians in the country in recent years, with the Taliban or its splinter groups claiming responsibility for many.

Gülen emphasized that the possibility that the attack was aimed at members of Pakistan’s Christian minority celebrating Easter should alarm all Muslims and move them to become more sensitive about protecting religious minorities among them and take action toward that end.

Speaking at the Vatican, Pope Francis also called for better protection of religious minorities and condemned the attack aimed at Christians in central Pakistan.

The attack came just days after the Easter and the Hindu festivals of Diwali and Holi recognized as public holidays by National Assembly. Jamaat -e-Ahrar, a splinter group of Pakistani Taliban, has claimed responsibility and said their target was Christians who had come together to celebrate Easter. Pakistani officials said the death toll was unselective, both Muslims and Christians were killed in the barbaric attack.

“Regardless of who claims ownership for the attack and their stated identity, they should be seen as monster-like beings that lost touch with their humanity,” said Gülen.

“I send my condolences to those who lost their loved ones in the attack, and to the people of Pakistan, starting with President Mamnoon Hussain and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.”

Last week, Gülen also condemned the attacks on Brussels’ two main transit hubs, the International Airport and the metro station, which left at least 35 people dead and scores injured.

Source: Turkish Minute , March 29, 2016


Related News

Ambassador says US having difficulty in seeing clear criterion in anti-Gülen operations

Speaking to a group of reporters in Istanbul on Friday, Bass said although the Turkish government insists that the anti-coup measures it has taken against followers of the Gülen movement are proportionate, it is difficult see that the Turkish government is taking its actions based on a clear criterion. Bass said the US was having difficulty in assessing whether the measures are proportionate and reasonable.

Terrorists not true Muslims, says scholar

Gülen placed notices in leading US and European newspapers, including in France, to condemn the atrocities of IS against the background of the murders of Alan Henning, James Foley among others by the militants. Gülen had said IS’s actions are a “disgrace to the faith they proclaim and crimes against humanity”.

Fethullah Gulen says will return to Turkey if US backs extradition

Calling for an international probe into the accusation, Gulen told ZDF that he would be ready to answer to such an investigation. “If their accusations stand, then I will accept what they want. But they have neither succeeded in showing any concrete proof nor given an answer to my suggestion. Therefore, these are all just mere assertions,” he said.

Did Erdogan STAGE the coup?

‘Government should be won through a process of free and fair elections, not force,” Gulen said. “I pray to God for Turkey, for Turkish citizens, and for all those currently in Turkey that this situation is resolved peacefully and quickly.’ Gulen sharply rejected any responsibility: ‘As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt.

Gülen’s lawyer appeals arrest warrant

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has appealed the decision of the İstanbul 1st Penal Court of Peace to issue an arrest warrant for Gülen, citing illegality.

How will prep school controversy influence elections [in Turkey]?

Gülen is a very important opinion leader in Turkey. He is not a politician but the leader of a social movement featuring religious motives. In addition to his followers, conservative people and groups also pay attention to his views and comments. Even those who are opposed to his worldview send their children to the schools set up by his followers because these schools provide very high quality education and training.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

CSOs slam ongoing black propaganda against Hizmet movement

Efforts to accuse Hizmet movement of conspiracy failed, says lawyer

Turkish coup d’état: a failed test for the EU

Erdogan Budgets $150m To Displace Hizmet Schools In Africa

Cold Turkey: Erdogan’s withdrawal from democracy

Great interest shown in Turkish school in Egypt

Turkish experience in Sudan: making a difference

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News