CHP: Anti-Hizmet ops were part of agreement between Erdoğan, military

CHP İstanbul deputy Barış Yarkadaş. (Photo: Cihan)
CHP İstanbul deputy Barış Yarkadaş. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: December 30, 2015

Main opposition Republican People’s Democratic Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Barış Yarkadaş has said the release of suspects in the historic Ergenekon trial and the government-initiated operations against the Hizmet movement were part of an agreement between President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Turkish military.

In March of last year, almost all of the suspects in the trial of the Ergenekon gang were released due to a newly passed law that abolished specially authorized courts (ÖYM), where the suspects were tried, and reduced the maximum period of detention before a final verdict on an appeal to five years.

The trial of Ergenekon, a clandestine and terrorist group convicted of attempting to overthrow the government, took a new course on Dec. 6, 2010, when nine sacks of documents were found hidden under floor tiles at the Gölcük Naval Base, detailing an alleged plot to overthrow the Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

Speaking to Halk TV on Monday, Yarkadaş also referred to a corruption operation that was planned to take place on Dec. 25, 2013, and implicated the AK Party government and inner circle of President Erdoğan, saying: “The police force did not send units to conduct the operation on Dec. 25. As you know, when the police do not execute an operation, the prosecutor can ask for help from the military. The military made an agreement with Erdoğan by not sending units to perform the operation. Erdoğan decided to change his Kurdish policies in return for support from the military and the closure of the Dec. 17 and Dec. 25 corruption investigations. Their relations start from this point.”

Various figures close to the AK Party were detained during a corruption investigation on Dec. 17, 2013. Muammer Akkaş, a former public prosecutor, was conducting another corruption investigation. The prosecutor ordered the detention of more AK Party officials or members on Dec. 25, 2013, but the police refused to act on the orders of Akkaş.

Since those corruption operations, the AK Party government has launched a smear campaign against the Hizmet movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. Dozens of government-initiated operations have been conducted to intimidate the followers of the movement since early 2014.

The government and Erdoğan accuse the movement of being behind the corruption operations without showing any concrete evidence for their accusations. The movement strictly denies the allegations.

On March 11, 2014, the İstanbul 21st High Criminal Court ruled for the release of Ergenekon suspects retired Gen. Hurşit Tolon, former Deputy Chairman of the Kuvayi Milliye (National Forces) Association Durmuş Ali Özoğlu and Boğaç Kaan Murathan. This was followed by the release of Lt. Col. Mustafa Dönmez, retired Lt. Gen. Mehmet Eröz, retired Gen. Tuncer Kılıç, retired Gen. Nusret Taşdeler, and the former editor-in-chief of the ultranationalist Aydınlık weekly, Deniz Yıldırım — all Ergenekon suspects. In June of last year, the court ruled to release the prime suspect, retired Brig. Gen. Veli Küçük. Along with Küçük, suspects Levent Ersöz, Serdar Öztürk and Fuat Selvi were also released.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 28, 2015


Related News

‘Don’t link Thai schools with terrorists’

Thailand’s foreign ministry has cautioned against any rush to link four Thailand-based schools to a terrorist organization just because they have a handful of foreign shareholders. “We have been in touch with the embassy to request legally recognised and reliable evidence. But we have not received any additional information to date,” Thai foreign ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee, said yesterday.

Probe launched into daily Taraf for attempting to cause chaos

The complaint was based on the content of newspaper articles written by Yıldıray Oğur, Ali Karahasanoğlu, Alper Görmüş and Cem Küçük that are being used by the plaintiff as evidence of Taraf’s “crimes.”

Turkey’s Main Opposition Party Reiterates In Report July 15 Was ‘Controlled’ Coup Attempt

A report drafted by Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) on a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 has repeated an earlier claim made by the party’s leader suggesting that the coup attempt was a “controlled” one and that there were some Turkish authorities who knew about the coup plans but did not take any measures to prevent it.

New book looks closer into Hizmet Movement with questions, answers

ŞULE KULU, İSTANBUL A newly published book by Professor Muhammed Çetin, a sociologist who has done extensive academic work on social movements and who now serves as a lawmaker in the Turkish Parliament, offers comprehensive information on the faith-based Gülen movement, answering hundreds of questions on the movement. The book, titled “Hizmet: Questions and Answers […]

TUSKON challenges Erdoğan to enter business, defies threats

In the strongest civil society reaction yet to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s month-long offensive tone and threats against Turkey’s largest Islamic group, the Hizmet movement, a leading business confederation affiliated with Hizmet on Saturday called on Erdoğan to quit politics and join the business world to make money.

PBS airs story on Gülen movement

Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) program Religion and Ethics NewsWeekly featured a story on the Gülen movement on Friday, quoting well-respected American observers, as well as the movement’s members and admirers. The 10-minute-long story by PBS correspondent Luck Severson gave information on the movement, which is a group of volunteers engaged in interfaith and intercultural dialogue […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

8.5-month pregnant woman under arrest though baby faces heart, kidney problems

Defamation- Pro-Erdoğan daily claims Gülen movement converted 500,000 to Christianity in Kazakhstan

Think over extradition request [for Gulen] with care

Brooklyn Amity School crowned karate champion

Watkins’ Mind Body Spirit Magazine included Fethullah Gulen among its 100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People

Anatolia in Los Angeles

JWF organized a side-event at UN in Geneva

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News