Criminal complaint filed against media organizations publishing Gülen’s speeches

Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Cihan)
Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: September 2, 2015

An organization called the Law and Democracy Foundation which was established by lawyer Mehmet Ali Canlı, a Justice and Development Party (AK Party) hopeful in the June 7 general election, on Wednesday filed a criminal complaint against media organizations that publish the speeches ofFethullah Gülen, a renowned Islamic scholar.

The move came a day after Turkish police raided İpek Media Group in a government-backed operation in an attempt to silence media critical of the government.

Canlı, who ran as a deputy in June and failed to be elected to Parliament, made a statement to the press in front of Ankara Courthouse, saying that public prosecutors failed to fulfill their duty by not taking any action against the named media outlets up until now.

The organization also filed a criminal complaint against the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK), which Canlı said never imposed any sanctions on the media outlets. The media outlets mentioned in the complaint included TV stations Samanyolu, S Haber, Mehtap, Bugün and Kanaltürk, the newspapers Today’s Zaman, Zaman and Meydan, and the website herkül.org.

Canlı also claimed that access to these publications should have been blocked long before he filed his complaint.

The AK Party declared a war against the Gülen movement, so called as it is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen, after a corruption scandal involving four government ministers and their sons went public on Dec. 17, 2013. In an effort to discredit the graft probes, the government has labeled them as a coup attempt against the government by the Gülen movement.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 02, 2015


Related News

Turkey crackdown: Gulen sympathizers abroad are feeling the heat

Turkey’s relentless pursuit of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen’s supporters during the past four months – both at home and abroad – has now resulted in Turkish military personnel serving at NATO bases seeking asylum, fearing persecution if they return home.

Samanyolu high school wins gold medal in TÜBİTAK contest

Samanyolu Science High School students Sadık Said Kasap and Onur Sulak won the gold medal among 24 final contenders whose work was chosen out of 1,156 projects. Kasap and Sulak stated that they had been working on their project for the last eight months and that they had striven to make a contribution to the world of mathematics.

Al-Jazeera: Turkish probe marks AKP-Gulen power struggle

Fethullah Gulen, 72, has been living in self-imposed exile in the US since 1999, reportedly, for health reasons
His movement is famous for its success in the area of education with tens of schools spread across the globe.

Turkey Continues Its Witch Hunt Against Gülen Followers

The arrests and detentions took place more than 6 weeks after the Turkish military staged a failed coup. But people who had absolutely nothing to do with the coup, who are simply accused of sympathizing with Fethullah Gülen, were also arrested. In what’s becoming a repetitive story, a host of journalists, lawyers, teachers and civil servants were among those arrested by the authorities.

Turkey’s anti-Gulen crackdown continues with Yemeni students after Nigerians

Turkish authorities have deported 5 Yemeni students at official universities which the authorities have recently shut down for links with US-based Muslim cleric, Fethullah Gulen. Tens of Yemeni students in Turkey are facing the risk of deportation for being students at universities administered by Fethullah Gulen’s movement.

Pro-gov’t daily sets up hotline for informing on Gülen followers in EU

The pro-government Sabah daily’s Europe edition, Sabah Avrupa, has set up a telephone line for its readers to report followers of the faith-based Gülen movement, against which Turkish authorities launched a witch hunt over its alleged involvement in a failed coup last summer.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Georgia revokes decision to freeze Gulen-linked university’s student intake

Witch-hunt-targeted mother dies in Kabul, family could not attend funeral in Turkey

Int’l students delight Washington in language festival

Erdogan vows for genocide of Gulen sympathizers: “We will not give them the right to life!”

‘TUSKON is a reliable and long-time friend of ours’

Report exposes death from torture of Turkish teacher in police custody

Taiwanese scholar: Hizmet movement wins hearts with education, charity

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News