Gülen’s lawyers: PM’s only correct statement is that he visited Gülen


Date posted: May 4, 2015

Lawyers representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen dismissed on Friday remarks made by Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu that Gülen rejected an invitation from Davutoğlu to return to Turkey on the grounds that “it was not time yet.”

“Unfortunately, the only correct statement by Davutoğlu is that he previously visited Gülen. During the visit, Davutoğlu and Mr. Gülen never had a conversation about domestic policy and the only matter of discussion between them was the events in Syria,” said the lawyers, who posted tweets on Gülen’s official Twitter account on May 1.

The Zaman daily’s Editor in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı stated in a live interview on April 28 that Davutoğlu paid a visit to Gülen along with his family members in 2013, saying that he does not understand why Davutoğlu now makes it sound as if visiting Gülen is committing a crime. After Dumanlı’s remarks, Davutoğlu admitted that he paid a visit, saying that he went to warn Gülen to “remain on a legitimate basis” and asked him to return to Turkey.

“I have intelligence reports in my hand. I invited him [Gülen] to return but he refused, saying that it was not time yet. I now understand that he was waiting until December to come back. He was going to return like [Iran’s former Supreme Leader Ruhollah] Khomeini,” Davutoğlu told the press in a clear reference to the graft scandal that erupted on Dec. 17 and 25 of 2013 and which implicated then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, some of his close associates and businesspeople affiliated with the government.

However, Erdoğan and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government blame Hizmet — also known as the Gülen movement, because it is inspired by Gülen– for instigating the far-reaching corruption probes that came to public attention on Dec. 17 and 25.

Gülen’s lawyers stated in their tweets that during his visits, Davutoğlu only talked about how he was deceived by top Syrian officials even though he had paid open visits to Syria more than 50 times. “A conversation in which Gülen rejected Davutoğlu’s invitation to Turkey, saying that it was not time yet, has never taken place. This is not a true statement. After his visit, Davutoğlu said that Gülen was ‘a senior member of the family’ and that is why he visited him,” lawyers said.
Ex-President Gül refutes Davutoğlu’s claims on visit to Gülen

Meanwhile, former President Abdullah Gül was also asked about Davutoğlu’s comments on Friday as the prime minister claimed that he met with Gülen within the knowledge of then-President Gül. Responding to questions by reporters, Gül said the part of Davutoğlu’s comments concerning him is not true. “There is something wrong in the part concerning me. I had learnt about it [the visit] afterwards,” he said.

Source: Today's Zaman , May 01, 2015


Related News

The Alliance for Shared Values Statement on Ankara Attacks

The Alliance for Shared Values deplores the bombing attacks perpetrated against peaceful protesters today in Ankara. We are deeply saddened by the increasing number of losses and injuries and offer our condolences to the families and friends of the victims. It is now more important than ever that we do not fall prey to the pernicious intentions behind these attacks.

How Erdoğan painted himself into a corner

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is livid with Fetullah Gülen and his group. So much so that he is calling them “Assassins” now in the Islamic sense of the word. Suffice it to say it is extremely abusive to be called this if you are a devout Sunni.

Torture appeared widespread after Turkey coup: UN expert

Measures taken in Turkey after the July 15 coup attempt created an “environment conducive to torture”, and ill treatment appears to have been widespread immediately after the failed putsch, UN special rapporteur on torture Nils Melzer said told reporters in Ankara. “Some recently passed legislation and statutory decrees created an environment conducive to torture,” he said.

Cancer patient arrested over Gülen links shortly after surgery

A woman in the southern Turkish province of Antalya who underwent surgery a month ago has been arrested on terrorism charges due to her alleged links to the Gülen movement.

How to Interview Fethullah Gulen

Turkey is in the spotlight (again) with TIME magazine’s choices for its 2013 list of the 100 most influential peoplein the world. Turkish spiritual leader Fethullah Gulen and the imprisoned leader of the Kurdistan Worker’s Party (PKK) Abdullah Öcalan were both listed under the leaders section. Öcalan and Gulen are two enigmas. One lives in self-imposed […]

Deputy speaker of Kenya Parliament: “I Gave Out Fethullah Gülen’s books to Congressmen”

Farah Maalim, Kenya’s deputy speaker of the parliament, thinks that the Turkish schools in his country, and in the rest of Africa “changes lives”.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Pentagon Allies Jailed in Turkey Amid Coup Backlash, General Says

500 Food Packages to 500 Families

Turkish schools are being closed down

2 Turkish teachers killed in Somali school bus attack

Science Fair at PakTurk school

Erdoğan’s Fight against the Gülen Movement & The Demise of Turkish State Rationality

İstanbul’s global summit secures deals worth millions

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News