Turkish school staff among 230 more evacuated from Yemen

Turkey evacuated 55 Turks from Aden on April 3 after a delay due to the ongoing Saudi-led military operation in Yemen. AA Photo
Turkey evacuated 55 Turks from Aden on April 3 after a delay due to the ongoing Saudi-led military operation in Yemen. AA Photo


Date posted: April 6, 2015

SEVIL ERKUŞ / ANKARA

Turkey evacuated 230 more people, including 185 Turkish nationals, from the Yemeni capital of Sanaa on April 5, Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu has said.

More than 120 of the evacuated are personnel of Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement, sources close to the issue told the Hürriyet Daily News.

Turkish schools in Aden and Sanaa were closed due to security concerns. Just 10 Turks chose to stay to travel to Taiz in Yemen, where a Turkish school is continuing its services.

Turkey has evacuated not only its own nationals but also a group of foreigners whose country sought help from Ankara, he added.

Turkey evacuated 55 Turks from Aden on April 3 after a delay due to the ongoing Saudi-led military operation in Yemen.

The evacuation was delayed because Ankara made efforts to obtain permission from three authorities for the flight of the plane, including the command of the Saudi-led operation Determined Storm and civil aviation authority in Yemen, according to sources. Turkey also informed all political groups in Sanaa about its evacuation operation.

Yemen has been in turmoil since September, when Houthi militia overran Sanaa, from where they allegedly planned to extend their influence to other parts of the country.

Several Arab states have joined the Saudi-led offensive in Yemen, which began on March 25 with a string of airstrikes on Houthi militia positions.

According to the Turkish Foreign Ministry, the Turkish naval vessel TCG Büyükada Frigate evacuated 55 Turkish citizens from the Yemeni port city of Aden and later dropped them off in Djibouti on April 3.

Turkish embassy officials then escorted the citizens to the airport in Djibouti, where they boarded a Turkish Airlines flight to Istanbul on April 4.

Many private and charter schools are operated by supporters of the Gülen movement across over 140 countries, including many in Africa.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan earlier said Turkey would seek the closure of schools in Africa linked to his ally-turned-foe Fethullah Gülen, opening a new front in his battle with the U.S.-based Muslim cleric.

Erdoğan accuses Gülen and his supporters in the judiciary and police of seeking to establish a “parallel state” and of orchestrating a corruption investigation targeting Erdoğan’s inner circle in December 2013 as part of a coup attempt.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , April 5, 2015


Related News

My Nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize is Fethullah Gulen

Fehmi Koru, Houston, Texas 15 October 2005 I do not have a voting right for Nobel nominations, but if I did, my nomination for the peace prize is ready: Fethullah Gulen. Of course, I know he’s controversial even in Turkey, he doesn’t appear in public anymore, he seldom grants interviews, yet nevertheless many in Turkey […]

Turkey Is No Longer a Reliable Ally

The U.S. and Turkey have faced difficult days before, such as after Turkey’s 1974 invasion of Cyprus and the 2003 American invasion of Iraq, yet American and Turkish leaders managed to find their way back. This time will be different. The failed coup was a clarifying moment. Ankara and Washington don’t share values or interests.

10 arrested for providing food and assistance to families of jailed Gülen followers

Ten out of 33 people who were detained in the western Turkish province of Manisa in early July have been arrested for providing aid to the families of alleged Gülen movement followers.

Turkey detains Mozambican software developer over links to Gülen movement

Helton Silva Malambane, a software developer from Mozambique who previously worked with the now-shut-down Fatih University, was detained by police at his residence in İstanbul over links to the Gülen movement, whose sympathizers the government accuses of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15. Twenty-seven-year-old Malambane was detained after police received anonymous tips about him.

Gov’t cancels Kimse Yok Mu’s previously obtained permissions

Following an abrupt Cabinet decision to remove the status of public interest of Kimse Yok Mu, the largest volunteer and global aid organization based in Turkey, the government has also cancelled the charity’s previously obtained permissions to collect donation until the end of this year.

60-year-old Turkish villager detained after questioning gov’t coup narrative

Murat Gulen, a 60-year-old villager and a relative of Fethullah Gulen was detained after he was revealed questioning the government’s narrative over the July 15, 2016 coup attempt during a video interview by the pro-government Ihlas News Agency.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen’s Message of Condolences and Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against Mosque in Egypt

Turkish school in Uganda challenges discrimination against albinos

Alleged Hizmet link in Hablemitoğlu murder a lie, says widow

Yamanlar Sweeps Gold Medals in the U.S.

New Mother Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links Despite Doctor’s Objection In Turkey

U.N. rights chief questions due process in Turkey purges

Ministry of Education denies authorizing raid on Gülen-inspired schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News