Gülen issues message of condolences for slain prosecutor Kiraz

Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: April 2, 2015

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has offered his deep condolences to family of Prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, who was killed after a deadly hostage crisis on Tuesday.

During these days when we have to shoulder subsequent painful incidents, I wish God’s mercy on our Public Prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, who was among the members of the judiciary who devoted their lives to justice and who was martyred while in office in a heinous terrorist attack, and I extend my condolences to his wife, children, colleagues and the judicial community,” Gülen said in a statement issued on Wednesday.

He also expressed wish that “dark hands are not given an opportunity to deal a blow to peace in the country and that the real perpetrators of the incident are captured.”

Prosecutor Kiraz was taken hostage by two members of the the outlawed Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C) in his office on Tuesday. All three were killed in a rescue attempt by Turkish security forces.

Kiraz had been leading an investigation into the death last March of Berkin Elvan, 15, who died nine months after falling into a coma after being hit by a police teargas canister during anti-government protests in 2013.

The DHKP-C said on its website that the hostage-taking was in revenge for Elvan, whose death a year ago prompted renewed protests in parts of İstanbul.

Source: Today's Zaman , April 01, 2015


Related News

New Book – No Return from Democracy: A Survey of Interviews with Fethullah Gulen

It was rare, if not impossible, to find in ’80s and ’90s a Muslim cleric who spoke in favor of democracy, integration with the Western world, and universal human values. Fethullah Gülen was one of those. This book collates Gülen’s ahead-of-his-time comments on some of the debated issues as he phrased in interviews in the past few decades.

GYV head dismisses ‘parallel state’ allegations against Hizmet

Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) Head Mustafa Yeşil said use of ‘parallel state’ argument against the faith-based Hizmet Movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen is reminiscent of Feb. 28 coup period’s practices, and represents a coupist and discriminatory approach towards certain social groups.

I am afraid 2012 will not be easy

Emre Uslu, Friday January 20, 2012 When the Justice and Development Party (AKP) received 50 percent of the votes in the 2011 election and came to power by promising to make a new constitution, expectations were raised to expect a transformation of the system. But if you consider the aftermath of the elections, one cannot […]

Fear Grows in Turkey as Crackdown on Gulen Followers Continues

The Turkish authorities are continuing their crackdown on followers of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, who is being blamed for a failed military coup attempt. With tens of thousands of people arrested, opposition parties are starting to voice concern that the crackdown is turning into a witch hunt.

PM threatens business, media and civic groups amid corruption woes

In several veiled references to the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen who has been critical of the government for trying to derail the corruption investigation, the prime minister claimed that the operation was orchestrated by “gangs” and a “parallel state.”

Turkey is gateway to Europe: exporters urged to collaborate with Turkish companies

Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists of Turkey (TUSKON) is organising a new track of its world famous series of international business summits, more than 2000 visitors from more than 124 countries are expected to participate in the event, expecting business agreements to the tune of $3 billion.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences on Murders in France

Erdoğan now at odds with once-closest ally

A Muslim voice to be heeded

Pak–Turk cooperation: Turkish NGO to support free eye surgeries

Court imposes punitive fine on author for libeling Gülen family

Kimse Yok Mu reached out to 1 million people in Eid al-Adha

Moved by Syrian refugees’ woes, U.S. mayors initiate blanket drive

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News