Whistleblower Fuat Avni: Gov’t to plant weapons in Hizmet buildings to declare it terrorist group


Date posted: March 18, 2015

A government whistleblower who tweets under the pseudonym Fuat Avni has alleged that the government is planning to plant weapons and ammunition in houses and buildings used by followers of the Hizmet movement in order to declare the movement a terrorist organization ahead of the upcoming general election.

The Hizmet movement, or Gülen movement, is a civil society organization inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Avni, who claims to be in the inner circle of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, wrote on his Twitter account on Monday evening that the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government is organizing a plot targeting the Hizmet movement, against which Erdoğan and the government have been fighting ever since a major corruption and bribery investigation became public on Dec. 17, 2013. Erdoğan and the AK Party have accused the movement of being behind the Dec. 17 investigation, which implicated four Cabinet ministers, top-level bureaucrats and pro-government businessmen.

The whistleblower also claimed in the tweets posted that following the January shooting of 12-year-old Nihat Kazanhan in the southeastern province of Şırnak, the government decided to frame the movement as a terrorist organization responsible for the death. Avni claimed that Erdoğan was angry when the plot failed after a Fox TV news program released security camera footage revealing that Kazanhan was shot by a police officer. Video footage of the incident was played on a Fox TV news broadcast on the evening of Jan. 28, showing second-by-second frames of Kazanhan being shot in the head and falling to the ground.

Kazanhan was shot on Jan. 14 when tensions flared in Şırnak’s Cizre district. He later died from his wounds. Avni claimed on Monday evening that after the killing, ex-Interior Minister Efkan Ala designed a plot to blame the Hizmet movement for the killing. Avni alleges that before the video came to public attention, the government was trying to hide any evidence of the killing so as to be able to blame Hizmet.

Speaking on TV on Jan. 14, Ala denied that the police were responsible for Kazanhan’s death. “Today, the police were not involved, neither with guns nor tear gas. Despite this, one of our children died. We will launch a serious investigation into this.”

Speaking on Jan. 15, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said Kazanhan had not been killed by the police. However, after the footage was released, the Interior Ministry backtracked and on Jan. 20, admitted that a provincial police officer could be responsible for the killing.

H.V., an officer from the Mardin Police Department who was detained in February as a suspect in the incident, told the prosecutor interrogating him that his colleague — special operations officer M.N.G. — shot the 12-year-old and then buried the gun he used in the yard of a police station.

Source: Today's Zaman , March 17, 2015


Related News

Religion and Politics in Turkey: To Talk or Not to Talk

The involvement of religious figures in the public discourse has been a part of the American political scene for decades. It did not make the United States a theocracy then, and it does not make it now.

Stuttgart police: ‘Boycotts of Gülen-friendly shops are potential hate crimes’

Police in Germany are investigating whether calls to boycott shops owned by supporters of the self-exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen constitute hate crimes. There are currently 15 open investigations. Police in the southern German city of Stuttgart said Wednesday they were investigating calls to avoid patronizing Gülen-friendly stores, shops and restaurants as potential hate crimes.

A Letter To The Free World | Hidayet Karaca

Hidayet Karaca, an executive with a leading Turkish TV network, has been in prison since 14 December last year on charges of leading a terrorist group.

Erdogan vs the Gulen movement

A little piece of Turkey sits in Midrand, north of Johannesburg, in the form of the breathtaking Nizamiye mosque – built as a replica of the famous Selimiye mosque of Edirne, with its myriad blue and white tiles. President Jacob Zuma officially opened the mosque in 2012, which was built and funded by the unassuming Islamic philanthropist known as Uncle Ali.

MGK plan in action

A National Security Council (MGK) plan — dated Aug. 24, 2004, titled the “Plan to Crack Down on the Fethullah Gülen Group in Turkey” and undersigned by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, ministers and military commanders of the time — is already being implemented. Though the government claims it was not put into action, there are several indications to suggest that the MGK plan is in effect.

Turkish Scholar Fethullah Gulen Speaks about PKK [terrorist organization]

Fethullah Gulen, Turkish scholar: “We were never completely aligned with any political party. But on the Kurdish issue, we were supporting the peace process before the government.” The Hizmet or service movement, through civil service initiatives, has been active in the region. It has focused on education, healthcare and religious affairs.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Launch of Fethullah Gulen Chair in Islamic Studies and Intercultural Dialogue at Deakin University

Mother detained over Gülen links while twins left in intensive care

Turkish Cultural Center co-hosts Iftar with Westchester Reform Temple

CHP leader says Erdoğan’s UN speech only served to promote Gülen movement

Abant talks on constitution

Germany takes Gülenists off watch list, conducts counterespionage against Ankara – report

Turkey needs a new constitution to save its democracy

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News