Illegal raid against Bank Asya spells disaster for Turkey, says TUSKON head

TUSKON President Rızanur Meral expressed that the illegal state takeover of publicly traded Bank Asya’s management last week has severe implications for the rest of the banking sector, financial markets, and for the entire country and its image abroad.
TUSKON President Rızanur Meral expressed that the illegal state takeover of publicly traded Bank Asya’s management last week has severe implications for the rest of the banking sector, financial markets, and for the entire country and its image abroad.


Date posted: February 10, 2015

“The raid on Bank Asya is a violation of the right of proprietorship and a murders the entrepreneurial spirit,” noted the president of the Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists of Turkey (TUSKON), Rızanur Meral, in an interview with Bugün TV.

The move by the Savings Deposit Insurance Fund upon orders of the Turkish banking watchdog BDDK had come about after President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, in his vendetta towards the Hizmet Movement inspired by followers of Islamic Scholar Fetullah Gülen, had publicly attacked the institution. He stated that the bank had failed and called upon the BDDK to take action. The BDDK ordered the removal of the board on the premise that there was a lack of transparency in the ownership structure.

Erdoğan and pro-government media’s stance was widely viewed by critics as a clear violation of capital markets laws and regulation concerning spreading defamatory rumors, in addition to an infringement on the independence of state institutions such as the BDDK.

“In no country can the state illegally take over the management of a bank on the pretext that not enough information on the shareholders was shared,” stated the TUSKON president, adding “Everyone who underwrote this decision against the publicly traded firm will pay a heavy price, for infringing on capital markets laws and regulations. If the courts cannot resolve this issue than the public will suffer. The new management the bank will bear the responsibility should the bank performs worse, under their reign.”

Meral also underlined that the illegal raid damages confidence in the Turkish economy and financial markets, explaining “The stock market is 60% foreign-owned capital. As a result of the raid of Bank Asya, the BİST lost 5% value. In such an environment who would want to invest in Turkey? Then how will we cover the major deficit? Such developments will trigger an increase in the dollar and cause a surge of inflation.”

The TUSKON president also took the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) overall governance to the talks, stating “Turkey is drifting away from a free market economy to seclusion. We have generated a lot of enemies in the overseas to the point where there will be no one left we can engage in dialogue with.”

Source: BGNNews , February 10, 2015


Related News

Erdoğan admits gov’t capitalized on coup attempt to pursue Gülen movement

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said during a speech in New York on Thursday that a failed coup attempt on July 15 presented him with opportunities that are not available in normal times.

Pro-gov’t daily: Turkey, Russia could conduct joint operation to abduct Gülen

Turkey and Russia could carry out a joint operation to abduct US-based Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to Turkey due to Gülen’s alleged role in the assassination of a Russian ambassador in December 2016 as well as a failed coup attempt in Turkey in July 2016, the pro-government Akşam daily reported.

3 journalists detained after interview with jailed Gülen-linked businessman

Three local journalists in Turkey’s Gaziantep province were detained by police after releasing an interview with jailed businessman Ahmet Selim Ener, who was imprisoned over alleged links to the Gülen movement.

‘Parallel’ inspection launched against prominent Jewish-Turkish businessman İshak Alaton

The Bureau for Crimes against the Constitutional Order of the Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office has launched an inspection of the companies run by Alarko Holding’s executive board chairman and prominent Jewish Turkish businessman İshak Alaton on charges of supporting the so-called “parallel state,” a daily reported on Tuesday.

Body of Turkish woman fleeing to Greece found weeks after boat capsized

Turkish authorities have found the body of Aslı Doğan, a Turkish woman who went missing after a refugee boat carrying eight people capsized in the river that marks the border of Turkey and Greece on Feb. 13, 2018.

Disregard call to close Turkish schools – Proprietors tell Nigerian govt

Owners of the Nigeria Turkish International College have urged Nigeria to disregard the call by the Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Hakan Cakil, to close its schools in the country.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

WSJ: Turks fleeing Erdogan fuel new influx of refugees to Greece

A Year After Hurricane Sandy: Climate Change & Disaster Management

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

GYV announces the third international family policy conference

Rounding up the ISIS collaborators, in Turkey and Kurdistan

Jailed Zaman editor says we are journalists, not terrorists

Parents protest deportation of Pak-Turk School’s teachers, staff

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News