Another Victim of Erdogan’s Wrath

Customers brandish banknotes as they prepare to deposit in their Bank Asya accounts in the western Turkish city of Canakkale. (Photo: Cihan)
Customers brandish banknotes as they prepare to deposit in their Bank Asya accounts in the western Turkish city of Canakkale. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: February 6, 2015

MAHIR ZEYNALOV

In an unprecedented display of solidarity to bail out a bank that has been a target of a relentless campaign waged by the Turkish authorities for over a year, Turkish depositors flooded the branches of the bank across Turkey to save it from the president’s wrath.

Twitter and Facebook filled with photos of people waiting in long lines to deposit what they have in cash or jewelry, signaling that the government’s attempt to sink the bank will end in vain.

The picture could seem as a joke, but it is not. This is the second campaign by loyal depositors, albeit a bigger one, to dash the hopes of Turkey’s bellicose President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who reportedly ordered to sink the bank.

Erdoğan’s unceasing bid to bury the bank is largely driven by his declared witch-hunt against institutions affiliated with the Gülen movement. In the latest twist to a saga, a banking watchdog ordered the state insurance fund to take over the management of the bank. The news of the takeover came minutes after Turkey’s famous whistleblower Fuat Avni warned against a campaign by the Turkish government and the pro-government media to portray the bank as “failing” to prompt “sudden mass withdrawals” and hence speed up its demise.

The authorities have so far been unsuccessful to end the bank’s life as loyal customers kept it afoot by depositing their assets. The government views the fall of the bank as an important milestone in dealing a blow to the Gülen movement, which has been adamant to bow before the president’s increasingly growing clout.

On the social media, Turks shared photos of their jewelry before they were deposited in gold accounts. Given that refined jewelry loses significant value when deposited in a bank account, the sacrifice of the depositors is jaw-dropping.

Here are some photos of long lines in Bank Asya branches across Turkey:

Source: The Huffington Post , February 5, 2015


Related News

Is There ‘The Cemaat’ Under Every Stone?

Ilıcak reaches her conclusions based on fact, using interviews, official documents, interviews and other hard evidence to make her point. Her book is a valuable source of information, especially for those who have only read texts from Fethullah Gulen’s opponents. In understanding an issue, it’s imperative to hear both sides of the story.

Disabled woman loses health care due to son-in-law’s Gülen links

Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, a member of parliament from Turkey’s left wing pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), said the health care benefits of a gravely disabled woman were cut off because her son-in-law was a public servant dismissed from his job by government decree.

How will prep school controversy influence elections [in Turkey]?

Gülen is a very important opinion leader in Turkey. He is not a politician but the leader of a social movement featuring religious motives. In addition to his followers, conservative people and groups also pay attention to his views and comments. Even those who are opposed to his worldview send their children to the schools set up by his followers because these schools provide very high quality education and training.

Former football star, İstanbul deputy says he is subject to hate crime

AK Party government used the Hizmet movement, its human resources, intellectual muscle and power in the international arena and at home until it became stronger [than the movement].

CHP Adana deputy lends support to mosque-cemevi project

Yet another figure from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), Adana deputy Turgay Develi, has expressed his support for the first joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) project launched in Ankara last week. The groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever mosque-cemevi cultural center was held in Ankara on Sept. 8 with the participation of a number of government figures, Alevi and Sunni community leaders and members of the public.

Divided republic of RTE

The most recent example of the division is reflected at the social level. A realtor put a sign on his shop saying, “Followers of the Gülen movement are not allowed to do business in this shop.” Pro-Erdoğan journalists, instead of condemning the shop owner, thanked him. This is a typical hate crime promoted by Erdoğan and his close associates.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Academics sign statement saying ‘rule of law suspended’

Erdogan’s war on education: The exodus of Turkey’s teachers

The Encyclopedia of Islam and hate speech

HAPPENING NOW: Police await outside hospital to detain woman who just gave birth

PM Erdoğan widens hostile stance to include more and more groups

Turkish experts and doctors seek asylum in Greece

Kimse Yok Mu: A charity with a difference

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News