Statement on Journalists Arrests

The Alliance for Shared Values
The Alliance for Shared Values


Date posted: December 15, 2014

New York, December 14, 2014 The raids on Turkey’s top selling newspaper Zaman and prominent TV organization STV are profoundly disturbing to all of us who value democracy, tolerance and the role of a free press in safeguarding both. Journalists who report about the suppression of human rights are not enemies of the state; rather they are documenting the actions of those who undermine the safeguards of a democratic Turkey.

Whether driven by a desire to shift public attention from the anniversary of corruption probes, or by public criticisms of systematic nepotism and excesses of the presidential palace, these raids and arrests are politically motivated. Such actions taint Turkey’s image around the world and raise the growing authoritarianism of the Erdogan regime to a new level.

Participants of Hizmet civic movement remain committed to democracy, fundamental human rights and freedoms. Accusations or arrests against people simply based on their worldviews, without any evidence of wrongdoing, reflect a new level of repression by Erdogan’s regime.

We urge democratic countries and organizations to strongly condemn these actions.

About Alliance for Shared Values

Alliance for Shared Values is a non-profit that serves as a voice for dialogue organizations affiliated with the Hizmet in the U.S. (also known as Gulen movement). The Alliance serves as a central source of information on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet. For more information, please visit www.afsv.org.

Source: The Alliance for Shared Values , December 14, 2014


Related News

Erdoğan using hate speech against Gülen movement, says MEP

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s accusations against a faith-based movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen amidst a corruption scandal are both uncalled for and amount to “a kind of hate speech” that has the risk of sparking violence against the group, a senior member of the European Parliament has said.

60-year old man covers 309 km in 17 days to protest son’s arrest on coup charges

A 60-year-old Turkish man whose son has been kept in İstanbul Silivri Prison for over 10 months on coup charges, has walked a total of 309 km in 17 days as part of a “March of Justice.” Veysel Kılıç’s son was Air Force Academy student and arrested after July 15 coup attempt. Kılıç had been holding vigil since August 2016 in front of İstanbul Çağlayan Courthouse to protest his son’s arrest.

Smear campaign websites cleared while targeted journalists accused

The smear campaign websites have made accusations and lies and committed libel in order to defame journalists who work in media outlets close to the Hizmet movement as well as those critical of the government.

This is too much! [About the Lies and Slanders directed to Gulen movement]

Prime minister said during the fourth ordinary general meeting of the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) in March of 2012:
“You are not backed by dark forces. You are not backed by the mafia, gangs, junta regimes. You are not backed by the bankers in Galata. You did not take advantage of the sources of the Treasury or public banks. You did not act according to an ideology. You did not surrender to the pressures and roadblocks. You only trusted in the people. Because you only relied on people, you are great and make this country great.”

Gulen Institute Youth Platfrom announces essay contest: ‘Hospitality in the Global Village’

The Gulen Institute Youth Platform has announced its “Annual Essay Contest” topic for 2013: Hospitality in the Global Village. The Gulen Institute Youth Platform encourages all high school students from the U.S. and from around the world to participate the contest. The youth platform hopes that this essay will help young minds define problems related […]

Stop doing Erdogan’s dirty work, Freedom centre tells Malaysia

Stockholm Centre of Freedom (SCF) has called on the Malaysian government to halt its dirty bidding on behalf of the growingly repressive Turkish government led by President Recep Erdogan, following the arrest and deportation of three Turkish nationals from Kuala Lumpur.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Civic engagement, success and the Gülen movement

Why did Turkey seize Bank Asya?

Turkish gov’t issues detention warrants for 121 women on Int’l Women’s Day

Turkey’s trampling of freedoms is Europe’s problem too

Former director of Turkish schools in Pakistan and his family kidnapped

‘A very good representative of the best in Islam, Hizmet contributes to the non-Muslim world’s understanding of Islam’

Lies in the “Research” by Der Spiegel

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News