Decision to build road on school grounds nonsensical, say parents

Construction has begun on a road that will cut through the campus of Fatih College despite the presence of wide, open lots surrounding the school. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Construction has begun on a road that will cut through the campus of Fatih College despite the presence of wide, open lots surrounding the school. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: August 29, 2014

Following the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality and Güngören Municipality’s decision to build a road within the courtyard of a private school affiliated with the Hizmet movement this week, the school management made a statement on Friday, saying that the parents of students at the school find the decision nonsensical.

Merter Fatih Koleji, a private high school that has been serving the community for 20 years, said in an official statement that the destruction of the school courtyard by the road is against the public good.

The statement read that the school building had been transferred from the Private Şener High School in 1995 and its courtyard had been used until 2000. Due to changes to the municipality’s road plans, the space has become smaller and the municipality has built a new wall for the courtyard.

According to some parents of students at Merter Fatih Koleji, a successful school whose students have won awards in national and international competitions, it is “nonsensical” to destroy a school courtyard to build a road.

The school also noted that it has paid all its dues to the municipality on time and in full.

The Bolu Municipality, having previously closed down two schools belonging to businesspeople affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement in early July, has also constructed a road inside the garden of a Fatih Koleji despite the fact that the school is surrounded by empty plots of land and no residential area exists around the school. The closed schools are close to the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

In May, Erdoğan publicly advised Justice and Development Party (AK Party) supporters not to send their children to schools affiliated with the Hizmet movement. “We will not even give water to them [Hizmet members],” he vowed.

More recently, Erdoğan ordered officials at AK Party-run municipalities to seize land and buildings belonging to the Hizmet movement by any means.

The closure of two Hizmet-affiliated schools in Bolu in July followed similar moves in other parts of Turkey. In early June, the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality stopped the construction of an education complex on privately owned land on the pretext that the land would be used as a green area and meeting point in the event of an earthquake. The municipality, however, failed to obtain the required approval from other authorities in the province to halt the construction of the education complex. They said the complex belonged to Fetih Eğitim İşletmeleri (Fetih Educational Operations), which has close ties to the Hizmet movement.

The municipality, also in July, removed a sign advertising the Fem prep school, which helps students prepare for their university entrance exams, in İstanbul’s Mecidiyeköy neighborhood. The real reason behind the municipality’s decision was said to be because Fem is affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 29, 2014


Related News

Liberia: VP Boakai Breaks Ground for New Light-International Campus

The Vice President (VP) of Liberia Joseph Boakai says that the Liberian Government wants to see the empowerment of its people and empowerment of its children is a beginning. Speaking at the groundbreaking ceremony of the Turkish-Liberian Light International School’s new campus in Margibi County, VP Boakai said that the country is moving forward and the Turkish school wants to be a part of it.

Turkey and the “forgotten” Zaman journalists in jail

Two years of the seizure of his newspaper and his sacking, the former bureau chief of Zaman newspaper in Brussels, Selçuk Gültasli, visited the EFJ-IFJ headquarter to deliver a special briefing on “the desperate situation of Zaman journalists and media workers in jail” in Turkey.

Turkish minister: Gülen movement is worse than Nazis

Turkey’s European Union Minister Ömer Çelik on Monday portrayed the Gülen movement as being worse than the Nazis, saying the Nazis were like apprentices or primary school students in comparison to members of the movement.

Democracy on the rocks in Turkey

Last week’s military coup attempt in Turkey is likely to have a debilitating impact on Turkish democracy. Already, several thousand military officials and bureaucrats have been arrested. Even more perturbing, more than 2,000 judges were removed from their jobs.

Gift From God: How Erdogan Turned July 15 Into Windfall

According to an official narrative of the government, MIT learned the coup plans earlier in the day and its chief several times discussed it with army chief Akar. One fundamental contradiction was the fact that despite this early warning and intelligence, commanders of navy, ground forces and air forces attended a wedding ceremony that night.

Unproven speculations and legitimate questions

Joost Lagendijk* Last week I was able to witness through first-hand experience how difficult it is to explain the Gulen movement outside of Turkey and how easy it is to manipulate public opinion on this issue. It seems the launch of Zaman Vandaag (Today’s Zaman) in the Netherlands last Tuesday triggered several critics to present […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen’s latest book launch celebrated at İstanbul forum

‘Fethullah Gülen and Today’s World’ to be a reference book in Eurasia

Gov’t targets Hizmet to distract attention from corruption, says director

Ruling party stacks judiciary with “his” men

Veteran out of social security coverage after being dismissed in post-coup purge

Main opposition brings plans to sink Bank Asya to Parliament

Are Gülen’s remarks on talks with PKK really surprising?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News