Gülen lawyers file complaint against prosecutors over wrongful probe

Fikret Duran, a lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has filed a complaint about two prosecutors for conducting an illegal investigation.(Photo: Cihan)
Fikret Duran, a lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has filed a complaint about two prosecutors for conducting an illegal investigation.(Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: July 22, 2014

Lawyers representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen have filed a complaint against two İstanbul prosecutors who are conducting an investigation into their client, accusing them of violating procedural rules in the manner the probe is being conducted.

The prosecutors have also lied on many occasions in writing, according to Gülen’s lawyers, who say that the prosecutors who launched an inquiry into Gülen eight months ago have found that the inquiry has not been registered on Turkey’s online judicial system UYAP.

The lawyers have filed a petition against Fuzuli Aydoğlu, a prosecutor at the İstanbul Prosecutor’s Office Organized Crime Bureau, and Deputy Chief Prosecutor Faruk Erşen Yılmaz with the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK), for violating procedural conduct.

It also emerged as a result of the lawyers’ petition that an inquiry had been launched into Gülen on Dec. 13, four days before Dec. 17, when a massive corruption investigation into the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) became public. The AK Party has responded to the graft allegations by removing police officers and members of the judiciary from their current positions and reappointing them into less influential positions or expelling them completely where they can. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan claims that a parallel structure affiliated with the Hİzmet movement, inspired by Pennsylvania-based scholar Gülen, is behind the corruption probe, although he has produced no proof to support this claim. Several businessmen close to the government as well as the sons of three ministers were detained in the investigation on Dec. 17. However, the probe has stalled after the government took the prosecutors conducting it off the case in response to the allegations leveled against it.

In addition to the two prosecutors who violated procedural rules when they launched an investigation into Gülen, the scholar’s lawyers also filed a complaint against Latif Erdoğan and Ahmet Keleş — two individuals who testified as witnesses against their client. The lawyers accuse them of perjury and slander.

The lawyers have also established that a separate investigation — based on false press reports — had been launched into Gülen. There have been earlier reports of a plot against the Hizmet movement, which the government has publicly vowed to “destroy.” The government has since been harassing all institutions it believes are sympathetic to the movement through methods such as shutting down dormitories or removing the signboards of educational institutions.

Fikret Duran, a lawyer for Gülen, said the irregularities in the investigation against his client are evident. In his petition, he demanded that the HSYK give the appropriate punishment to the prosecutors.

Duran said earlier that the Chief Prosecutor’s Office responded to an inquiry by Gülen’s lawyers as to whether or not there are any ongoing investigations about their client. Prosecutor Erşen Yılmaz in writing stated, “No investigation file has been found.” However, pro-government media reported shortly after this incident that an investigation was in fact in place, citing a case number. This time, the lawyers were able to acquire a copy of the documents pertaining to the investigation. They found that the correspondence they had with the prosecutor — including his response saying there were no formal inquiries into Gülen — also existed among these documents. “This indicates that the chief prosecutor has provided us with untruthful information, in spite of the fact that he was in the know about the investigation into our client.” Duran also said that the file had not been recorded in UYAP, another violation indicating a clear attempt to hide the fact that an investigation had been launched.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 21, 2014


Related News

WaPo publishes editorial from Fethullah Gulen on the day Erdogan meets Trump

If nothing else, the timing of this is certainly interesting. Yesterday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan arrived in Washington for his meeting with President Trump scheduled for later today. It’s an encounter which I already described as problematic at best, given Erdogan’s new status as a strongman and tyrant, and it doesn’t seem to hold the promise of much benefit on our part.

Denmark charges Turkish informants as spies

A broad ranging investigation by the Danish Security and Intelligence Service (PET) has resulted in trials being opened against three people who informed on Turkish citizens living in Denmark to the Turkish government, Turkish news portal Gazete Duvar reported on Monday.

Gülen files criminal complaint over illegal wiretapping

Illegal wiretapping has been an issue in Parliament as well, as opposition parties have asked for a parliamentary session to address wiretappings carried out by the National Intelligence Organization (MİT). Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Ferit Mevlüt Aslanoğlu called for a parliamentary session to inform deputies about the technical details of wiretapping.

It’s clear that deportation of three Turks is to please Turkey’s president

If the three Turks are supporters of Gulen, then there is no case for Malaysia. Gulen is not a terrorist but merely a powerful thorn on the side of the Turkish dictator Tayyip Erdogan. Just because the three opposed the government of Erdogan was not sufficient reason for Malaysia to arrest and deport them. Malaysia is merely doing the “dirty” job for Erdogan.

Normalization of Abduction, Torture, and Death in Erdogan’s Turkey

Abductions, forceful disappearances, tortures, and political target killings have always been among the burning human rights violations in Turkey; however, they skyrocketed during Erdogan’s rule and especially after the failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Kanter: I was excluded from Turkey squad due to my beliefs

Turkish basketball player Enes Kanter, who has made no secret of his links to the Gülen movement — a civil society group also known as the Hizmet movement that is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — has stated that he has been excluded from Turkey’s basketball team for the 2015 European Basketball Championship due to his beliefs.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Sen. Schumer & 70+ Senate Colleagues Call on State Dept. to Address ongoing Intimidation of Media and Censorship of the Press in Turkey under President Erdogan’s Administration

Science Fair at PakTurk school

HIzmet centre takes on Erdogan regime

Austria arrests two after arson attack on Turkish cultural center

Fethullah Gulen: Violence can not be a remedy for violence

The Turkish School in Kathmandu made a dream come true

Pregnant with twins, Kocaeli woman detained during control at hospital

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News