Former minister inquires about secret plot against Gülen movement


Date posted: June 20, 2014

ISTANBUL

Former minister with ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İdris Naim Şahin has submitted a lengthy inquiry to the Turkish Parliament, asking if there is a secret plot against members of the Gülen movement and if the government has mobilized all its resources to gather evidence through any means. Şahin, who resigned last year over growing corruption scandal, has been a close associate with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan strechting back to 1990s, blamed the government for being ruled by a “narrow group of oligarchs” in his resignation letter.

In the parliamentary inquiry the former minister submitted, Şahin said one of the documents he has received is the “Action Plan” drafted in the Interior Ministry, ordering intelligence officials to investigate “archives” of the Gülen movement and gather evidence. Şahin noted in the inquiry that the Gülen movement is known to be making efforts to preserve the nation’s faith, scientific and cultural values and promote these values abroad that would only enhance the prestige of Turkey. He added that the government is using state resources to take a confrontational approach toward those who feel sympathy or affiliated with the Gülen movement.

Listing down the orders in the Action Plan, some of which constitute criminal acts, Şahin asked if these plans to eradicate the Gülen movement is authentic. He questioned the validity of the first article of the Action Plan, which said those who are members of the Gülen movement and try to destroy the constitutional order of the country should be detected and necessary evidence should be gathered in a secret way.

The Action Plan also orders authorities to investigate if the Gülen movement possess armed power, if it is possible for those who are within the army, gendarmerie, National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and police forces have intention for armed insurgency and if they have necessary power to take over the government. The Action Plan also asks for investigation of the role of the Gülen movement in recent attacks such as St. Santoro murder, Hrant Dink murder, Zirve publishing house massacre, Necip Hablemitoğlu and Üzeyir Garih murders.

The Action Plan also asks if those who have become victims during criminal investigations in the past ten years would testify against the Gülen movement and demands that former members of the Gülen movement be questioned and protected through state witness protection system.

Şahin said in the inquiry that the accusations are intangible while individuals and institutions in the Action Plan are imaginary. “How do you reconcile these accusations with universal and objective foundations of the law, security of law and state and innocent until proven guilty principle?” Şahin asked. The former minister asked if the government is planning to implement an advanced version of the “plot” by looking for “new criminals” in cases that outraged the public in the recent past.

Şahin said the Action Plan’s “finding evidence through suspected criminals” is a means of “dictatorial legal system.”

The former AK Party deputy and minister asked if there is an operation against judges, prosecutors as well as members of the police and said if similar operations against other religious communities are under way.

Source: Todays Zaman , June 20, 2014


Related News

The tragedy in Soma will also be felt in politics

Mr Erdogan has launched what he admits is “a witch hunt”, demoting and reshuffling hundreds of Gulenists within the bureaucracy.

Hate speech and its impact on the movement (1)

It amounts to the otherization of a social group, cowing it into submission. It is a weapon used by the powerful to destroy the “others.” Hate speech is particularly dangerous when employed by those who exercise public authority as it leads to official discrimination. In a democratic country, it is one of the state’s basic duties to prevent the use of hate speech.

3 dead, 5 missing in attempt to escape Turkey’s post-coup crackdown

At least three people died and five others were missing after a boat carrying a group of eight capsized on Tuesday in the Maritsa River while seeking to escape a post-coup crackdown in Turkey.

Police insult former Zaman columnist for not supporting Erdoğan

Speaking with the Cumhuriyet daily about his last visit to journalists in Silivri Prison in İstanbul, main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Mehmet Bekaroğlu said that journalists, including Bulaç, were insulted by police officers during their questioning.

Turkish police raid Zaman building, attempt to detain editor

The police reportedly came to detain Zaman daily editor-in-chief Ekrem Dumanlı. The officials said they could not “fulfill their tasks” because of the pressure and had to leave the building. Protesters chanted unceasing slogans such as “Free Media Cannot be Silenced.”

Parents slam Pak-Turk Schools possible handover to Maarif Foundation

Parents of students of Pak-Turk schools and colleges blasted the Pakistan government for handing over the education system to a Turkish nonprofit organization called Maarif Foundation. They said that the schools and colleges would suffer if handed-over to the “poorly-equipped and infamous” Maarif Foundation.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Detainees ‘beaten, sexually abused and threatened with rape’ after Turkey coup, Human Rights Watch claims

Deviation, crisis and opportunities…

Turkish ambassador draws ire as she implies Gülen-affiliated schools in Macedonia raise terrorists

Dutch politicians outraged over new “Gulen-List”

Turkey Faces International Trouble for Persecuting Gulen’s Schools

Terrorists not true Muslims, says scholar

Gulen calls for new constitution in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News