GYV awards peace projects in İstanbul ceremony


Date posted: June 2, 2014

ISTANBUL

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), which will make a donation of $50,000 to international peace projects developed to prevent conflict in the world and present solutions for them, held a ceremony in İstanbul on Friday in which 10 peace projects were given awards.

The “International Peace Projects” awards ceremony was held on Friday at the Zaman plaza in Yenibosna, İstanbul. The 10 best peace projects were given awards during the ceremony. One of the peace projects ranked among the top 10 was developed by a young Nigerian named Ademola-Adelehin Ilemobola Olubukola. In this project, Olubukola aims to weaken the culture of violence in Nigerian society with education about peace. Olubukola plans to make education on peace part of the curriculum of the Nigerian education system with his project, thus aiming to decrease young Nigerian people’s tendency to see violence as part of their daily life.

Another peace project, titled “Education for peace: to learn the other’s literature,” which was also given an award, aimed to bring 60 Israeli teachers together with Palestinian teachers to prepare a joint lesson plan. Teachers from both countries will give information about the other country’s literature and culture. Making a speech during the ceremony, GYV Chairman Mustafa Yeşil said peace cannot be established only by slogans such as “No to war” but must develop projects through which problems can be analyzed and possible solutions can be proposed.

As part of the “International Peace Projects” awards, a total of 1,179 peace projects from 107 countries that aim to find resolutions to conflicts and establish peace following conflicts were evaluated. Each of the top 10 among those projects received a donation of $50,000 from the GYV to help the project developers implement their projects.

In his speech, Yeşil stated that participants in the competition had prepared projects aiming to resolve problems in their geographical locations, adding that the GYV had given priority to those projects that suggested good solutions to the conflicts in their locations.

Recalling that a donation of $50,000 would be given to each of the top 10 projects, Yeşil stated that the three projects that are most successfully implemented would also be given another award. “We plan to give awards to those projects on March 25, 2015 at the United Nations headquarters. This competition will be held annually. The applications for next year have already started,” Yeşil added.

 

Source: Cihan , June 2, 2014


Related News

Two volunteers of Gülen Movement reportedly abducted after released by Azerbaijani Court

According to a report, Turkish citizens Ayhan Seferoğlu and Erdoğan Taylan were detained by Azeri police. However, an Azerbaijani court decided to release them. As their relatives were waiting Seferoğlu and Taylan to be free, they have reportedly been abducted by unidentified persons from the backdoor of the courthouse where they were tried.

Former AK Party minister praises Turkish Olympiads

Former interior minister and Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İstanbul deputy Abdulkadir Aksu said on Thursday that Turkish schools abroad serve as islands of peace, adding that he is looking forward to this year’s Turkish Language Olympiads.

Turkey: Alarming Deterioration of Rights – Coup Attempt No Justification for Crackdown on Peaceful Critics

The government misused terrorism laws against followers of the US-based cleric Fethullah Gülen, whom the government accuses of masterminding the July coup attempt, The mass arrests and removal of safeguards against detainee abuse led to rising reports of torture and other ill-treatment in custody.

Whistleblower reveals wiretapping conspiracy to libel Hizmet

According to the letter, a special team was established at the Prime Ministry late last year to conduct psychological warfare, including producing disinformation and false evidence to implicate the Hizmet movement in criminal activity.

Turkish PM calls for boycott of Gülen movement’s schools

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has geared up his rhetoric against the movement of U.S. based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling for a boycott of the movement’s schools.

Turkish daily Taraf accused of ‘spying’ and ‘terror acts’ for publishing state document

Daily Taraf, which published a document from a 2004 National Security Council (MGK) meeting about a state action plan against the activities of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement, has been charged with “spying” and “terrorism,” in an investigation launched by the Istanbul Public Prosecutor.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu distributes meat with foreign volunteers in Indonesia

Turkish opposition deputy: Women jailed with children are treated like enemies

New Zealand politicians attend iftar dinner of Turkish foundation despite embassy’s warning

One wounded in armed attack on university preparation course

Lawyers for Gulen Call Flynn’s Comments ‘Troubling’

Inside Turkey’s Purge

Before Oprah: Scholar’s Philanthropic Work Has Huge Impact on Africa

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News