Turkish miner, Lonmin to explore for gold, silver in Ireland
Date posted: May 27, 2014
IRELAND
Turkish gold mining company Koza Altın said on Monday it has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with South African platinum miner Lonmin’s Northern Ireland unit for gold and silver exploration activities.The exploration will take place in Northern Ireland, the statement said. Koza had said in April it had established a wholly owned subsidiary in Britain to undertake mining activities abroad. This was an apparent move to compensate for losses the company has been suffering due to heavy government pressure at home. Koza Altın earlier had its operations in several major gold mines halted in a move that is being seen as the most recent example of the government’s exploitation of inspections and red tape to put pressure on those with views critical of it.
Koza’s parent company is İpek Holding, and it has long been speculated that the government has been working to suppress İpek’s companies and reduce coverage critical of the government’s authoritarian policies by its media groups.
Koza Altın is the only one in Turkey with 100 percent domestic ownership and it is the third private company on the list of top performers in terms of corporate taxes.
Bekir Cinar was working as an assistant professor at the political sciences department of Suleyman Sah University when it fell victim to the crackdown. He says that many academics with different views were working at the university. Cinar is currently continuing his scientific work at a British university. He considers this a major loss for Turkey, not least because it takes 20 to 30 years to become an academic.
‘Parallel state’ and ‘theft of national will’
There is not a single piece of concrete evidence indicating that prosecutors and police officers had acted in contravention of laws and regulations in the investigation into the corruption claims that implicated some former Cabinet members and their sons. However, these public officials who performed their lawful duties in full compliance with the principles of transparency, accountability and equality — which are fundamental characteristics of the regimes that uphold the rule of law — were recklessly accused by the prime minister and his cronies of being the “parallel state.
PM’s discourse over ‘no family, children’ offensive, hurtful
On Feb. 23, Prime Minister Erdoğan targeted Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) Chairman Devlet Bahçeli due to his criticism of the government in the ongoing corruption investigation, saying: “He does not have any concept of family. He has no such concern. We know what children mean,” in an obvious reference to Bahçeli’s unmarried status.
Closer look at empire of cleric accused in Turkey coup attempt
Turkey’s crackdown of those suspected in the failed July 15 military coup widens, with the firing of 492 people at its top Islamic authority. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is zeroing in on a Muslim cleric living in rural Pennsylvania, whom he accuses of masterminding the coup attempt.
Debunking The Gülen-Erdoğan Relationship
Yes, at one time, there had been rapprochement and mutual support, but reality and history show that such an alliance has long been overstated. The truth is, Erdoğan and Gülen only came together when Erdoğan’s stated goals reflected deeply held beliefs by Gülen. As is often the case, perception is mistaken for reality. Gülen is not Erdoğan’s biggest threat, nor was he his chief ally.
Turkey’s recent view from the US
The way the AK Party has proposed new laws to increase government control over judges and prosecutors and how many investigations have slowed down have raised suspicions that the government might be trying to hide corruption. The censorship of Turkish media and the recent attempts to change laws about the Internet to easily increase censorship are raising concern.
Latest News
Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan
SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis
Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison
Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney
Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement
ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment
New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement
European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests
ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases
In Case You Missed It
Another woman faces detention at hospital just after giving birth
Hizmet movement in the spotlight at MESA 2012
Witch hunt against the Gülen followers in Europe
A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook
Prime Minister Erdoğan in his second home
Shutting down prep schools against free enterprise, analysts say
AFSV Statement on Turkish Government Actions against Free Media