Columnist fired from pro-gov’t daily after critical comment over Soma


Date posted: May 23, 2014

ISTANBUL

The pro-government Vatan daily has fired a columnist who had submitted a critical column, which faced censorship and was not published, over a disaster that killed 301 miners in the mining town of Soma.

Mutlu Tonbekici, who has been with Vatan for the past 14 years, expressed her dismay in the column over the clumsy handling of the disaster, which set off fierce debates over poor safety conditions in the country’s mines.

The column, titled “TC: Türkiye Cehennemi” (Republic of Turkey: Hell of Turkey), was rejected by the daily’s editorial board for the hard-copy edition, though it did appear on the newspaper’s website. The online version, however, was also removed, under alleged instructions from Erdoğan Demirören, who owns the newspaper and who is known for his affiliation with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

In a similar development, the Yenişafak daily, another pro-government newspaper fired columnist Süleyman Gündüz for his refusal to toe the newspaper’s line against Hizmet Movement (also known as Gülen movement) led and inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The pro-government media has launched an enduring smearing campaign against the faith-based Hizmet Movement, which has adopted a critical standing against alleged involvement of some government ministers in corruption scandal that has rocked the country since it broke on Dec. 17.
This sacking was the latest in a series of journalists who were fired under pressure from the government, a worrisome sign for those practicing journalism in an increasingly difficult environment.

Dozens of journalists were fired from newspapers last year both before and after the Gezi Park protests, which marked last summer.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 22, 2014


Related News

MHP deputy dismissed gang allegations against Hizmet Movement

“[Hizmet Movement] is very transparent under the surveillance of the government. You would go a great wrong if you accuse [Gülen] as a gang affiliated person without any verdict of conviction by a prosecutor,” stated Yılmaz.

The First Private Kurdish TV Channel in Turkey

President Gül, after watching the demo of the Dünya TV, said that “this is it, Turkey should normalize”. He further said, “if only this broadcasting had started 10 years ago, we could have been much more normalized already”.

Witch-hunt-targeted mother dies in Kabul, family could not attend funeral in Turkey

İsmail Eyüpoğlu (42), who has been living abroad for 25 years, lost his wife early in the morning on Saturday, February 3. He was straddled between the idea of going back to Turkey with his children and bid farewell to his wife for 18 years in her last journey and on the other hand, the fear of being arrested at the airport and sadden his two children.

My opinion on the book ‘Imam’s Army’

Conspiracy theory is very widespread in Turkey,  society is currently polarized. Those who share a positivistic and Islamophobic mindset refuse to recognize that religion can assume a positive role and hold the Gülen movement responsible for nearly all evil. ŞAHİN ALPAY, Monday April 11, 2011 During my contacts with European parliamentarians, officials and Turkey experts […]

Human Rights Watch (HRW) criticizes Cabinet ruling on Kimse Yok Mu

Human Rights Watch (HRW) criticized the cabinet ruling that cut the Kimse Yok Mu aid organization’s ability to collect donation without state approval.

Turkish school staff among 230 more evacuated from Yemen

Turkey evacuated 230 more people, including 185 Turkish nationals, from the Yemeni capital of Sanaa on April 5, Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu has said.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish spies working for President Erdogan ‘infiltrate Germany’s migrant community’

Kosovo grants asylum to Turkish national

President Gül dismisses calls to help tackle political turmoil

GYV discusses respect for sacred values at UN panel

Mother of three arrested with baby as police fail to locate teacher husband

Filipino-Turkish School of Tolerance Donates Beef in Feast of Sacrifice

Abant Platform calls for ‘respect for sacred’ in Africa meeting

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News