Erdoğan says his gov’t will carry out ‘witch hunt’


Date posted: May 12, 2014

ANKARA

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, while defending an ongoing government-sponsored wave of purges of public officials, said on Sunday that the government will carry out a “witch hunt” if that is how critics define the purges.

“If reassigning individuals who betray this country is called a witch hunt, then yes, we will carry out this witch hunt,” Erdoğan said while delivering a speech at the 22nd Consultation and Assessment Meeting of his Justice and Development Party (AK Party) in Afyonkarahisar.

The AK Party government, frustrated by a major graft investigation that went public on Dec. 17 of last year, has been quick to reassign public officials en masse in response to the operation. The probe implicated several former Cabinet members and senior government officials, and as many as 15,000 police officers and hundreds of members of the judiciary as well as dozens of bureaucrats at public institutions have been reassigned since Dec. 17. The fact that no investigation was launched before those officials were sacked and that most of the officials were not given an explanation for their dismissal has led to comments that the government is carrying out a “witch hunt” against its critics.

There are rumors that the only criteria behind these purges is links to a “parallel state,” a term the government has been using to define the Hizmet movement, which is a grassroots movement based on voluntary participation to spread interfaith dialogue and tolerance, with a particular emphasis on education. The government has been at odds with the Hizmet movement since the graft operation and it has been reassigning public officials known or suspected to be close to the movement.

“Anyone who is negligent in this struggle will betray this nation. Anyone who takes steps back, [or] intends to compromise and forget what has happened in the past will put a black mark on the trust of our people. Anyone who keeps silent by showing no reaction or who bows to threats and blackmail will go down in history as they are,” the prime minister said on Sunday. His remarks came as clear encouragement for AK Party officials and members to carry on their “fight against Hizmet.”

Most of the removed public officials have been appointed to less prestigious positions. Recent media reports have said certain ministries are planning to dismiss the reassigned officers in the upcoming weeks. The officials will allegedly be dismissed on charges of engaging in illegal wiretapping activities; leaking or destroying important data; misconduct; and acquiring information through illegal means.

The prime minister has also implicitly urged citizens to report members or followers of the Hizmet movement to the government, and said that the government would “take action” against them. “This is not a simple struggle,” he said.

In addition, Erdoğan lashed out at those talking about the tragic death of Berkin Elvan, a teenager who died because of an injury sustained when he was hit in the head by a police tear gas canister during the Gezi Park protests last summer. The young boy died in March after spending nine months in a coma. Reports said Elvan was on his way to buy bread when he was hit at a close range with a tear gas canister fired by riot police in İstanbul’s Okmeydanı neighborhood.

However, the prime minister does not see it like that. “They [critics of the government] are trying to exploit the deaths of some people. They keep talking about the incident in İstanbul, about Berkin Elvan. He [Elvan] had a mask on his face, a slingshot in his hand and explosives in his pocket. But some media outlets say he was going to buy bread. Who would go to buy bread with a mask, a slingshot and explosives?” Erdoğan said.

In an earlier speech in mid-March, the prime minister claimed that Elvan was a member of a terrorist organization and defended the police who killed him.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 11, 2014


Related News

All colors of Diyarbakir came together over Iftar

Minister of Food, Agriculture and Livestock Mr. Eker praised that people from all walks life in Diyarbakir are represented at the Iftar. He said Turkey’s regime had problems with his own people. The state had divided its people into races, colors and ethnicities, which created problems. “We have made important progress for the solution in the last seven months, we wish that the settlement process will end with peace,” he added.

Why Erdogan Is Soft On ISIS

Turkey’s government and the media that support it have an odd attitude when it comes to violent acts carried out by ISIS: It’s as if the “cultural/ideological dialects” of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government somehow malfunction. The government is politically accountable if ISIS actions do not stop in Turkey. Trying to cover this up with nonsense like “ISIS is the same as PKK and the Gülenists” only increases this accountability.

Bank Asya says it weathers ‘stress test’, still strong

Turkish media say state-owned companies and institutional depositors loyal to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan have withdrawn TL 4 billion ($1.79 billion), some 20 percent of the bank’s total deposits, over the last month to try to sink the lender. The government has declined to comment. Bank Asya’s chief executive Ahmet Beyaz said the bank’s founders included sympathizers of cleric Fethullah Gülen, who officials say is behind the corruption investigation posing one of the biggest challenges to Erdoğan’s 11-year rule. But he said the bank was not at risk.

German intel expert says, based on CIA, BND reports, Erdoğan was behind failed coup

German intelligence expert and author Erich Schmidt-Eenboom has said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, not the faith-based Gülen movement, was behind a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 based on intelligence reports from the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the German Federal Intelligence Service (BND).

Government as a black propaganda machine

In an effort to distract public opinion from the graft probe and the alleged involvement of the prime minister and his inner circle in corruption, Erdoğan has been conducting psychological warfare. Considering the Hizmet movement responsible as the force behind the investigation, Erdoğan declared the movement an enemy.

Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen loses 72-year-old brother

Seyfullah Gülen, the brother of leading Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, died at the age of 72 on Friday morning at the private Şifa Hospital in Erzurum, where he had been receiving treatment after a heart attack.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

MEP: International investigation into Turkey’s rule of law needed

Ergenekon suspect convicted for insulting Gulen

HRW report: No evidence to accuse Gülen movement of terrorism

Turkey’s targeted teachers find refuge in Vietnam

Can Erdoğan finish off the Gülen movement?

Fethullah Gulen’s new book “The Struggle for Renewal” sold 200,000 in 20 days

‘Power struggle with Gulen movement weakens Erdogan’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News