Ex-employee files complaint against TİB head over purge


Date posted: May 12, 2014

ANKARA

A former expert at the Telecommunications Directorate (TİB) who was recently removed from his job as part of a government-sponsored wave of purges at public institutions has filed a criminal complaint against TİB President Cemalettin Çelik and two department heads at the directorate.The complaint was submitted to the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office on May 7. In his petition, the complainant, whose name was not revealed to the press, claimed that Çelik resorted to many unlawful actions since he was appointed TİB president in late December of last year — shortly after a major graft operation in which some senior government officials and their family members were implicated was made public.

According to the complainant, the TİB president allegedly put immense pressure on staff at the directorate and sacked those who did not comply with his unlawful orders. The complainant was one of them, the petition read. He was fired on Jan. 20.

The complainant also claimed that two department heads working at TİB tampered with its system logs as per instructions by Çelik.

In late April, an anonymous whistleblower from TİB sent an email to newspapers and TV stations claiming there is a conspiracy to bring the faith-based Hizmet movement under suspicion of infiltrating the TİB. The email claimed that the agency tampered with its system logs to fabricate evidence that the “parallel state,” a term the government uses to describe the Hizmet movement, had listened in on around 2,000 people. The message said the electronic serial numbers (ESNs) of these people were entered into the system as per instructions from TİB President Çelik and then erased — all to make it look like the Hizmet movement had spied on Turkish citizens and then covered its tracks. The institution would then share the “recovered” numbers with newspapers.

The person, who identified himself as an active employee of TİB, said he was going public with this information because he does not want to be part of a smear campaign that could endanger the lives of many innocent people who had served the institution.

The sacked TİB expert also accused the TİB head of labeling innocent people, abusing his authority, making up false accusations against individuals, making public confidential information related to the TİB and violating the principle of secrecy. According to the expert, Çelik and some other officials at the directorate were engaged in efforts to fabricate evidence to accuse certain people of criminal behavior.

He also argued that he was removed from his post unlawfully after the former president of the TİB was reassigned by the government. He said he was working at the data processing bureau and that the Information Technologies and Communications Authority (BTK) was authorized to remove from or appoint experts to the bureau. “However, I was fired unlawfully as per the directive of the head of the TİB,” he stated.

The expert also asked prosecutors at the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office to initiate an investigation into the TİB head and two other officials at the directorate.

After Çelik was appointed to lead the TİB, an extensive purge followed in which scores of workers lost their jobs at the agency. As they were replaced, a special team was created, and Çelik vested its members with enormous authority. Claims emerged in the media that some people who identified themselves as members of the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) started paying frequent visits to the TİB after Çelik’s appointment as the directorate’s new leader.

The sacked expert’s petition confirmed the claims. Some people who were not working at TİB accompanied workers at the Information Systems Department, where legal wiretaps are performed, according to the expert. “You may confirm my statement by checking footage from security cameras at the institution and from other witnesses,” he stated. He also noted that all employees at the TİB have been worried about Çelik’s unlawful actions since he was appointed as the directorate’s new president. “I witnessed many employees who wanted to take down minutes, take images of projects they were working on their computers and ask for official correspondence from their colleagues about the ongoing projects to make sure that they would not be accused of a misdeed that might lay the grounds for their dismissal,” he added.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 11, 2014


Related News

We could not have imagined so many insults

They hope to cover up the corruption investigation and the reassignment of thousands of police officers and dozens of prosecutors and judges that had been planned much earlier. When the prime minister opted to use the language of insult, his copycat ministers and deputies who want to be popular with the prime minister began to use even more violent language.

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

Yusuf Özmen, a cancer patient who has been sentenced to 8 years, 9 months in prison due to his alleged links to the Gülen movement, has recently been sent back to prison after the supreme court of appeals upheld the prison sentence.

Domestic violence addressed at GYV Women’s Platform int’l conference

İPEK ÜZÜM, İSTANBUL The reasons behind domestic violence and the role of family in the prevalence of violence in society are being discussed during an international conference organized by the Journalists and Writers Foundation‘s (GYV) Women’s Platform in İstanbul. The conference, titled “Family and Community Violence,” kicked off on Friday night with a reception at […]

People overwhelmingly support democracy as answer to Kurdish issue

About 90 percent of the Turkish public believe the Kurdish question cannot be settled through military means but by democratization, and that expanding cultural rights and negotiating are the answers that will finally produce a settlement for Turkey’s decades-long problem with separatist terrorism, according to a recent survey conducted by pollster MetroPOLL.

Witch-hunts in Europe

Hate-filled language, such as “dirty water mixed with the milk,” “we will enter their dens” and “hashashin,” all uttered by the prime minister as part of his hate speech against the Gülen movement, was also a method employed during the witch-hunts in medieval Europe.

Turkish teacher jailed over Gülen links dies in prison due to lack of medication

Halime Gülsu, who was arrested on Feb. 20, 2018 for allegedly helping the faith-based Gülen movement, died on Saturday in prison in Mersin province, reportedly due to deprivation of the medication she took for lupus erythematosus.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish preacher isn’t running terrorist gang

Gülen’s Dialogue on Education: A Caravanserai of Ideas

Gülen donates Manhae award honorarium to Peace Projects

Ex-FM Yakış defends Turkish schools as the torch bearer of Ottoman vision

Arrested journalist: I am on guard duty for democracy

Malaysia Exposes Abductions By Erdoğan’s Long Arm In Asia

Peacebuilders Conference

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News