Turkey Regulator Demands Bank Asya Information Before Sukuks (1)

Bank Asya
Bank Asya


Date posted: April 25, 2014

ISTANBUL

Asya Katilim Bankasi AS (ASYAB), the Turkish lender in partnership talks with Qatar Islamic Bank, must ask the regulator for permission to issue further sukuk under a 1.25 billion-lira ($587 million) debt program.

Turkey’s Capital Markets Board has asked to be informed of future issues, Cengiz Onder, head of investor relations at Bank Asya, said in a phone interview today from Istanbul. An official at the board, asking not to be named under government policy, said it’s seeking further documentation from Bank Asya before sales can resume, without giving further comment.

The lender is a member of the Tuskon business group, representing companies whose executives sympathize with U.S.- based cleric Fethullah Gulen. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Gulen’s followers are behind corruption allegations from December. Turkish newspaper Sabah reported today that the Capital Markets Board has stopped Bank Asya from issuing sukuk debt, without saying where it got the information.

Bank Asya has sold 550 million liras in sukuk debt in small amounts with short maturities, and the Sabah story was based on false “speculation” that it was being blocked from issuing more, Onder said. The bank’s core focus will be on attracting deposits, he said.

In the six weeks after the corruption allegations became public, Bank Asya fell more than any other company on the benchmark XU100 index. The bank’s share price then climbed the most in 6 years after news of talks with QIB emerged last month.

Source: Bloomberg , April 24, 2014


Related News

Minister Şahin praises Journalists and Writers Foundation for courageous coverage

SEZAİ KALAYCI, NEW YORK Family and Social Policy Minister Fatma Şahin has praised the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) for its members’ courageous coverage of important issues at a time when the country is taking steps for democratization. Şahin’s remarks came during a panel discussion on women’s issues held by the GYV and Peace Islands […]

Ex-FM Yakış defends Turkish schools as the torch bearer of Ottoman vision

Yaşar Yakış is a founder and former member of the ruling AK Party (Justice and Development Party) and served as Turkey’s Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2002-2003. Speaking to Bugün Newspaper Yakış on developments pertaining to domestic and foreign policy Yakış emphasizes that the ruling AK Party has drifted off its founding principles.

Spy agency planning false-flag terror acts in crowded areas, whistleblower claims

A whistleblower who has a credible record of predicting police operations and government policies has made a surprising claim, arguing that the Turkish spy agency is planning to blow up crowded areas in order to frame the Gülen movement, a faith-based movement, as a terrorist organization.

Police raid successful Gülen-inspired schools, kindergarten in eastern Turkey

As one of the numerous raids against the schools affiliated with Gülen movement, popularly known as Hizmet Movement, two schools and a kindergarten were raided by police along with inspectors on Friday morning.

Bruised by lavish palace, Erdoğan pictures fake Gülen compound

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has made a major push to paint a picture of the compound where Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen lives as a spacious camp in an attempt to contain attacks over his own sumptuous palace, which drew anger from the public, including from within his own party.

Pro-gov’t daily claims White House held special session on Gülen

Pro-government Turkish daily Takvim claimed in a Friday report that the White House held a special session on Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is based in the US, in September 2014.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Hüseyin Gülerce: I have to respond to Mr. Barlas

Turkish businessmen gift another school to South Africa

Becoming a Dialogue Movement: What Can Dialogue Learn from Other Movements?

Erdogan’s war on education: The exodus of Turkey’s teachers

Turkish PM Erdoğan launches another war [in Turkey]

Turkish PM Erdoğan lashes out at Gülen as the head of ‘neo-Ergenekon’

Kimse Yok Mu volunteers help restore eyesight to African cataract patients

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News