Nigeria won’t allow mistreatment of her students by Turkey – Presidency

Abike Dabiri-Erewa
Abike Dabiri-Erewa


Date posted: October 11, 2016

Sheriff Adaji-Ogbu

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and the Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has said the Federal Government would not allow Turkey to punish Nigerian students unjustly as alleged actors in the recent failed coup attempt in the country.

Dabiri-Erewa, who stated this in an interview, said all diplomatic channels would be explored to ensure that no Nigerian student is maltreated over any unfounded issue.

Last week, the Federal Government summoned the Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Hakan Cakil over the detention of some Nigerian students in Istanbul.

At the meeting, the Nigerian government expressed concern over the poor treatment of the students and directed the ambassador to ensure their immediate release.

The government also asked a Nigerian official in Turkey to resolve the matter with the country’s government.

According to Dabiri-Erewa: “The Federal Government is taking the detention of Nigerian students by Turkish authorities seriously, and this is underscored by the summoning of the country’s envoy last week. During the meeting, the government made it clear that it would not tolerate the mistreatment of any Nigerian student.”

She continued: “Turkey has a lot of respect for Nigeria and vice versa. So, we expect that matters would be sorted out in the best possible manner between both countries.But I can assure you that every step would be taken to ensure that no Nigerian suffers for an offence he/she did not commit.

“It seems that Turkey is trying to get at Nigeria for our failure to close down the 17 schools they requested. The government did not close down these schools because their owners and managers, who are private people have not breached Nigerian laws.”

In July, Cakil, while hosting the Vice Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Shehu Sani, asked the Nigerian government to close down 17 Turkish schools suspected of having links with the masterminds of the July 15 failed coup attempt in the country.


Related News

Former football star, İstanbul deputy says he is subject to hate crime

AK Party government used the Hizmet movement, its human resources, intellectual muscle and power in the international arena and at home until it became stronger [than the movement].

Defamation- Pro-Erdoğan daily claims Gülen movement converted 500,000 to Christianity in Kazakhstan

A Turkish daily claimed on Friday that the Gülen movement had converted 500,000 people to Christianity in Kazakhstan through its schools around the country.

Mozambican president: I will continue to support Turkish schools

Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi has expressed his support and gratitude to the educational volunteers affiliated with the Gülen movement for their contributions to his country, saying that he has scheduled a visit to the Turkish school in the Mozambican capital Maputo that his son graduated from to show his support.

Debunking Erdoğan’s smear campaign against Gülen

Acting as prosecutor, judge and executioner, Turkey’s chief political Islamist, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has already convicted a well-respected Islamic scholar, Fethullah Gülen, of what he called a civilian coup attempt, a fabricated charge devised by Erdoğan to discredit the vast graft scandal that incriminates him and his associates, including his family members.

Academic Freedom in Turkey Under Seige

It appears that Fethullah Gülen, a U.S.-based Islamic preacher from Turkey who promotes peace and tolerance, and the schools associated with his religious Hizmet movement can’t get a break. Now, Gülen’s schools are being targeted in his home country by the Turkish government’s ruling Justice and Development Party, known as the AKP, which should dispel any notion in the U.S. that the AKP is somehow in cahoots with the Gülen movement.

Lawyer of arrested officers detained for Gülen movement propaganda

Lawyer Kemal Uçar, known for his critical statements concerning July 15, 2016 coup attempt cases, has been detained as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, Milliyet daily reported. Uçar used to share messages on social media that the ByLock mobile phone app cannot be used as evidence to arrest people. Uçar said on a TV program that 52 of 58 casings found in Taksim on the coup night were not fired by soldiers according to an official report.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan purge far worse than the McCarthy era

US Unlikely to ‘Speed Up’ Gulen’s Extradition to Turkey

Are Turkey’s torture chambers back?

Pacifica Institute and Redmond United Methodist come together for Interfaith dinner

Gülen says Turkey’s democracy eroding under AK Party rule

Faith Compatible with Science

Growing Corruption Inquiry Hits Close to Turkish Leader

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News