Government media runs riot in smear campaign against Hizmet


Date posted: April 22, 2014

ISTANBUL

A news article in Daily Sabah, the new, English-language member of the government’s media lineup, claimed on Monday that the police are ratcheting up measures to patch holes in their security network in order to prevent leaks by Gülenists, a derogatory term used to describe the Hizmet movement.

The Counterterrorism Department is now overhauling computer systems, telephone and Internet networks, fingerprint databases and security camera systems, said the daily, claiming that Gülenists have been infiltrating the technical infrastructure but without providing any proof of the assertion.

The piece also noted that Sürat Teknoloji, a Kaynak Holding company said to be affiliated with the Hizmet movement, was contracted to install Mobile Electronic Systems Integration (MOBESE), a citywide camera surveillance system, and proceeded from there to suggest that Sürat had “tampered with” video footage that was released in February showing that an “assault” on a headscarved woman in Kabataş by Gezi protesters did not happen the way the woman described it in her testimony.

Today’s Zaman called Sürat Teknoloji to ask whether Daily Sabah’s claims were true. The company’s corporate communications department said the daily had not called them about the story before its publication and rejected the claims as baseless. Sürat said the company only installed the MOBESE system and that Daily Sabah’s allegations that the company had intercepted the videos captured by MOBESE cameras and edited them were untrue.

The government media, so called because it is impossible to find a single article with even a mildly critical view of the ruling party in these outlets, has been churning out fabrications about the Hizmet movement since a corruption probe erupted on Dec. 17 of last year. Daily Sabah, an English-language paper owned by Turkuvaz Media, was born at the height of the political chaos following Dec. 17. Ever since its inception, the paper has been a staunch supporter of and propaganda machine for the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and the government. It has jumped on the government media bandwagon, demonizing and spewing vitriol at the Hizmet movement, which it claimed was behind the graft probe. The paper also stigmatized the prosecutors who launched the investigations in the first place as covert members of the Hizmet movement and denigrated them, paying no heed to their denials of any affiliation with the movement.

Hizmet is a grassroots education and interfaith dialogue movement operating all over the world. It is inspired by the teachings of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania. After Dec. 17, the government media began to call the members of the movement followers of Gülen, or Gülenists, a term that Gülen himself categorically rejects on the grounds that a global movement adhering to transcendental values and pursuing higher goals cannot simply be affiliated with any mortal individual.

Daily Sabah, like the other government media outlets, dedicates a large portion of its national news pages to fabricated stories about the Hizmet movement, basing many of them on assumptions that have been proven false in past trials. In some cases, the daily translates and uses stories that first appeared in other government media outlets.

Probe into private security firms

A recent example is an article about an alleged Interior Ministry probe into private security companies “after allegations surfaced that companies linked to the Gülen movement illegally recorded conversations and footage of businesspeople who serve as their employers.” The story first appeared in other spin-heavy media outlets, which claimed that a “probe” had been launched by the Interior Ministry, without elaboration or details on the purpose of the probe, when it began, which specific companies are being targeted, which allegations led the ministry to delve into the operations of private security companies and so on.

The Turkuvaz Media Group, which brings together such popular outlets as the Sabah and Takvim dailies and the ATV channel as well as the English-language Daily Sabah, has been referred to as the “pool media” since allegations surfaced that a group of businessmen formed a pool of funds to purchase the group as per the instructions of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in return for privileged treatment in public tenders. These allegations are based on a number of voice recordings, purportedly of Erdoğan and businessmen who were involved in the scheme. Anonymous Twitter accounts uploaded the recordings onto social media platforms, arguing that they were legally obtained during surveillance in corruption investigations that had been crippled by mass purges of prosecutors and police officers. The Turkuvaz Media Group and the businessmen mentioned in the tapes have rejected on many occasions having received orders from Erdoğan to pool money for the acquisition of these media outlets.

Source: Cihan , April 22, 2014


Related News

The Hizmet movement and participatory democracy

The Hizmet movement’s objections make an important contribution to the formation of participatory democracy in Turkey. So far, Turkish democracy was a game among political parties in the absence of a strong civil society and market actors.

Germany informs Gülen sympathizers about Turkish Intel surveillance

German authorities have informed Turks linked with the Gülen movement about Turkish National Intelligence Organization (MİT) surveillance in Germany. German experts concluded that most of the photos of 300 Turks and 200 schools, associations and organizations that are connected to the Gülen movement were taken secretly by surveillance cameras.

Turkey builds 50 more prisons for Gülenists: Justice Minister

Turkish Justice Ministry Undersecretary Kenan İpek on Tuesday said more than 50 prisons are under construction for the incarceration of people linked to the Gülen group.

Plot against Gülen movement in tatters as suspects confess to false testimony

New testimony in a court case incriminating the faith-based Gülen movement indicates that police and prosecutors had pressured suspects to make false statements against the movement, revealing that the case was actually a plot developed by political authorities to taint the movement.

US House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee: Charges against Gülen not credible

US House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee Chairman Dana Rohrabacher said during a hearing titled “Turkey after the July Coup Attempt” in the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Wednesday that the Turkish government’s claims against a US-based Turkish scholar for masterminding the July 15 coup attempt lack substantial evidence and were not credible.

Turkish Twitter war over education

Plans to abolish “prep schools” in Turkey have sparked a huge feud between two of the country’s most powerful forces on the micro-blogging website Twitter. Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his AK party have proposed eliminating the schools, which provide private tuition classes to help high school children prepare for university entrance exams. […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

US lawmaker says Gülen should not be extradited, calls his movement strongest element against radical Islamists

Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gulen promotes peace, understanding

Turkey further from EU accession than in 2007, Swoboda says

Is Nigeria now a part of Turkey?

Erdogan in East Africa to fight against Gulen

Gülen withdraws libel complaint after housewife apologizes

Turkish engagement with Southern Africa depends on the Turkish attitude towards Hizmet

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News