Current defamation campaign against Hizmet was part of Ergenekon scheme


Date posted: April 7, 2014

İSTANBUL

A major campaign launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and media organs to defame and discredit the Hizmet movement was among the plans of the Ergenekon network, which once attempted a coup d’état against the AK Party.

 

The İstanbul 13th High Criminal Court last week completed a 16,000-page reasoned decision on the historic Ergenekon case in which hundreds of suspects, including military generals, were handed life sentences on the charge of plotting to topple a democratically elected government. The reasoned opinion dwells at length on Ergenekon’s plans to discredit the Hizmet movement, which is very active in the educational sector both at home and abroad.

Recently leaked voice recordings have revealed that the Ergenekon plans are in line with recent attempts by the government and newspapers which the AK Party had forced businessmen to purchase in return for favors from the government.  Both Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the media organs, which were found to have been purchased to especially function as a propaganda machine for his government, have been falsely accusing the Hizmet movement of various crimes, from treason to espionage.

Hard disks used by Ergenekon members and submitted to the İstanbul 13th High Criminal Court as evidence by the General Staff contain documents that detail the course of action the terrorist network sought to take against the Hizmet movement to discredit it in the eyes of the public. The documents on the hard disks note that polls indicate all the activities of the Hizmet movement are appreciated by the general public and that the generals had failed to find proof of criminal activity in an Hizmet-affiliated agency. The documents show the coup plotters then decided to accuse Hizmet of spying and treason.

Plotters unhappy with Turkish schools

The Ergenekon members were deeply disturbed by the presence and effectiveness of the Turkish schools that were opened by the Hizmet movement abroad. Such schools inspired by the Hizmet movement number about 300 and have been set up in 50 countries worldwide. The generals were also deeply disturbed by the impressive reputation of these schools in the countries they serve.

The reasoned opinion cites several documents in which the plotters decided to portray Hizmet as a movement controlled by the US. The plotters also hoped to encourage foreign countries to shut down Hizmet schools.

Perinçek supports gov’t on Hizmet plan

In a major reversal, the Yeni Akit newspaper, which had once slammed the Ergenekon network and its alleged members, interviewed Workers’ Party (İP) Chairman Doğu Perinçek, who was given life imprisonment without the chance for parole for being a member of the Ergenekon network but was recently released after the government amended legislation regarding the maximum detention period for inmates until their conviction is final. Perinçek told the newspaper he supported the AK Party government in shutting down Hizmet schools and facilities.

However, in another interview with the Aydınlık newspaper published on the same day, Perinçek accused Erdoğan of being part of a US-led plot to cause Turkey to disintegrate.

Prime Minister Erdoğan has been actively trying to shut down Hizmet schools abroad. There were allegations that he had requested Shahbaz Sharif, the chief minister of Punjab, Pakistan, to shut down the 23 Turkish schools in the country. It was also suggested that the main purpose of Erdoğan’s recent visit to Azerbaijan was to convince officials there to shut down Hizmet schools in the country. Erdoğan has also been actively been calling on his voters to stop sending their children to Hizmet-affiliated schools or educational facilities.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 7, 2014


Related News

Prominent theologian says Turkey in crisis with international community

American Professor Philip Clayton has said President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s burning of bridges with the European Union after he received criticism from the bloc for detaining leading members of the media is a sign that Turkey is in crisis with the international community.

Standing by the Education Rights of Schoolgirls

Influential Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, who is considered by TIME magazine as “the most potent advocate of moderation in the Muslim world,” has strongly condemned the kidnappings in Nigeria as well as other such violent acts. In an interview he said that denying girls access to education simply goes against the spirit of the Muslim religious tradition and that women should be able to take on every role in our society, including those of physicians, military officers, judges and head of state.

The dominant assessment in NATO: Turkey’s President Erdoğan staged the coup himself

Senior NATO sources tell aldrimer.no that they believe Erdoğan staged the coup himself. However, they stress that there is no written NATO documentation for that claim, because it is simply too sensitive. That’s because all member nation’s have the right to access to all intelligence information gathered by the alliance.

Why Mr. Gülen was targeted

The main difference between Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the politician who became Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is that the former is vehemently opposed to the use and abuse of Islam as a political ideology and party philosophy while the latter sees the religion as an instrument to channel votes and to consolidate his ranks among supporters.

Gülen rejects labeling of Hizmet as ‘gang,’ calls it ‘traitorous’

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has rejected the labeling of the Hizmet movement as a “gang,” saying those who uttered this word committed “traitorous” behavior. The term gang, “örgüt” in Turkish, has become a famous euphemism in Turkey to denote the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and has a negative connotation.

Bosnian court denies Turkish extradition request for alleged Gülen follower

A Bosnian court has dismissed a request for extradition to Turkey of a Turkish national, one among several wanted for alleged links to the Gülen movement, which Ankara blames for a failed coup in Turkey in 2016, Reuters reported.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Witch hunt continues as police raid Gülen-inspired schools across Turkey

Turkey to Release Tens of Thousands of Prisoners to Make Room for Coup Suspects

29-Year-Old Judge, A Victim Of Post-Coup Witch Hunt, Dies In Prison

Twitter users protest plan to close prep schools in Turkey

Upholding of Yıldırım’s conviction; another case of ‘significant timing’

Philippine army awards Kimse Yok Mu for aid and contribution to peace

Hizmet movement discussed in heart of African Union

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News