Samanyolu news faces cyber attack from abroad


Date posted: April 5, 2014

ANKARA

On Thursday night Samanyolu Haber TV news channel was the latest to face a cyber attack, as readers have at times also recently been unable to access the websites of the dailies Zaman, Today’s Zaman and Taraf, as well as the Cihan news agency, particularly since the night of the local elections on March 30.

 

According to media reports, the cyber attack against Samanyolu TV was launched from abroad and lasted nearly half an hour.

The Today’s Zaman website has been targeted by hundreds of thousands of computers in a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, in which hackers bombard the website with requests, causing it to slow down or crash.

On March 30, the Taraf daily’s website was attacked by unidentified cyber groups. Taraf challenged the attack with a statement on its main webpage, noting that its website had been under an organized attack for the past week: “To those creeps who are afraid of journalism, freedoms and Taraf,” the statement said, “Those who are afraid of democratic elections, journalism and free media have staged a new attack and have hacked our website. They think that they are successful, but they are the losers. It has been revealed how afraid they are afraid of Taraf and free journalism. They have shown us how powerful we are. It is no use even if you send [highly trained] soldiers or assassins. You cannot silence Taraf. We will continue with our website edition in the shortest time possible.”

RTÜK imposes harsh penalty on Samanyolu TV for corruption broadcasts

The Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) imposed a penalty of TL 123,500 on the Samanyolu Haber TV news channel on Wednesday, citing the channel on the grounds that it violated broadcasting principles.

During its meeting held in Ankara, RTÜK discussed 12 filings against Samanyolu Haber TV and decided that 11 of them include breaches regarding the rule of law, respect for human dignity, privacy and the presumption of innocence with regard to broadcasts related to the government corruption allegations that become public on Dec. 17, 2013, businesspeople who were allegedly involved in corruption and leaked recordings apparently revealing Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, some ministers and businesspeople involved in corruption.

RTÜK member Esat Çıplak said that while pro-government TV channels’ violations are ignored or only perfunctory punishments are imposed, other channels are facing a “battue,” or a hunt.

“Imposing a ban on a broadcasting group with this unlawful attitude deals a blow to the reputability of RTÜK. Targeting and intending to destroy broadcasting with a special team just because they criticize the current government’s activities leads to questioning democracy [in Turkey],” said Çıplak.

 

In late March, RTÜK prohibited the broadcast of 15 Samanyolu Haber TV programs, in addition to the suspension of 20 programs on March 16. “RTÜK has given us the harshest penalty in its history,” the news director said at the time.

The latest RTÜK penalty follows Erdoğan’s vow to finish off the Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and its associates, which include Samanyolu Haber TV.

Erdoğan has portrayed the sweeping corruption scandal that broke on Dec. 17 and implicated his close associates and even members of his own family as a plot by the Hizmet movement to weaken his government.

Gülen and his followers are at the center of Erdoğan’s accusations, although the prime minister has so far failed to present any evidence that the Hizmet movement was behind the corruption probe.

In a related development, RTÜK members Ali Öztunç and Süleyman Demirkan stated at a press conference that RTÜK’s biased attitude towards TV stations prevents the Supreme Election Board (YSK) from reaching fair decisions on stations that may have violated the pre-election rules.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 4, 2014


Related News

Suspicious Deaths And Suicides On The Rise In Turkey With 54 People In Last 8 Months

Against the background of massive crackdown on critics and opponents in Turkey and widespread torture practices in detentions and prisons, 54 people were reported to have lost their lives, most under suspicious circumstances and under lock-up in the last eight months.

Government cuts off funds for disabled child over father’s Gülen links

The Turkish government has cut off funds granted to Rafia Nur, a 12-year-old child whose father has been arrested over alleged links to the Gülen movement. The lower half of Rafia’s body is paralyzed, impairing her ability to walk or stand.

Kimse Yok Mu Becomes A Member Of Ecosoc

Kimse Yok Mu Association becomes a member of Ecosoc. United Nations Economic and Social Council. Ecosoc is the name of an organization that is built to coordinate United Nation’s economic, social and other similar branches. Ecosoc is created after World War II during the year 1945, to act as a forum for international economic and social problems, and give social political suggestions to the member countries and the UN.

HRW: Prosecutions of alleged followers of Gülen Movement lack of evidence of criminal activity

HRW report: “People continued to be arrested and remanded to pretrial custody on terrorism charges, with at least 50,000 remanded to pretrial detention and many more prosecuted since the failed coup. Those prosecuted include journalists, civil servants, teachers and politicians as well as police officers and military personnel. Most were accused of being followers of the US-based cleric Fethullah Gülen. Their charge often lacked compelling evidence of criminal activity.”

Another suspicious death: Doctor dies of heart attack in prison

Ali Özer, a 48-year-old doctor who was jailed due to his alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, has died of a heart attack in Çorum Prison. This is 57th such suspicious death or suicide since last summer’s so-called coup attempt against Erdogan regime.

Woman with soft tissue tumor held in Ankara prison for 8 months: report

Seynur Özdemir, a Turkish woman from Ankara, suffers from soft tissue sarcoma, a rare type of cancer that begins in the tissues that connect, support and surround other body structures. She however has been held in Ankara’s Sİncan prison since June 2019 on terror and coup charges.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Philippine House speaker receives Turkish school delegation

An interesting debate in the European Parliament

Abant Platform calls for ‘respect for sacred’ in Africa meeting

Is it civil disobedience or passive resistance?

The unwanted truth: the Muslim enemies of Islam

AK Party İstanbul head: Purge in state institutions began long before

Turkish expats in Singapore concerned over state of emergency back home

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News