Turkey’s business world weary of gov’t pressure, says Kalkavan


Date posted: March 18, 2014

 

İSTANBUL

Representatives of Turkey’s business sector say they are “tired of” increased government pressure and interventions following the Dec. 17 corruption probe, prominent businessman İhsan Kalkavan told Today’s Zaman on Sunday.

Kalkavan is the owner of the Beşiktaş Maritime Group and former president of the Turkish soccer club Beşiktaş. “I have met a number of businesspeople from different sectors and political views since Dec. 17. … All of them say they are seriously concerned about how Turkey is heading towards increased authoritarianism,” Kalkavan said. The businessman added that the government’s way of dealing with the corruption allegations has been “incomprehensible,” and that he had difficulty explaining to his foreign associates about recent purges of hundreds of police officers and dozens of investigators. “I have concrete proof that most foreign investors in Turkey have been discouraged from embarking on new projects, seeing as how the government has been pressuring local firms.”

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan alleges that the Hizmet movement is working to undermine his political power, but he has provided no sound evidence to prove his claim. The Hizmet movement has so far dismissed all claims fabricated by the pro-government media and used by Erdoğan as “baseless.” Erdoğan has threatened to make companies critical of the government “pay for it.”

In an earlier interview, Kalkavan said the prime minister’s harsh language against Hizmet members saddened him as well as many other businessmen and citizens who are sympathetic toward the movement.

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) and the Turkish Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (TÜSİAD) have repeatedly warned that Turkey is at risk of losing foreign investments so long as the government continues to show a lack of respect for the rule of law and European Union legal codes.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 17, 2014


Related News

Strange alignment of PKK and government against Hizmet

Close relations between the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which began with a settlement process over the Kurdish issue, have deepened with a new alliance aimed at destroying the Hizmet movement.

Government carried out a “controlled” coup in an attempt to exploit its outcomes: Opposition leader

The main Turkish opposition party has accused the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) of having prior knowledge of the failed July 15, 2016 putsch, saying Ankara carried out a “controlled” coup in an attempt to exploit its outcomes.

81-year-old man sentenced to 10 years in jail over Gulen link

Mustafa Türk, an 81-year-old Turkish who has been under arrest over a year, was sentenced to 10 years in jail on charges of membership to a terrorist organization.

How the fallout from Turkey’s coup attempt has been felt in South Africa

In the late evening of Friday, July 15, word spread across the world that a coup was under way in Turkey. The president was missing, the military announced it had taken control of the country, and a few hours later, in the early hours Saturday morning, the coup was over.

Turkish press council condemns false reports on Gülen movement

The High Committee of the Press Council in Turkey, following an appeal by the lawyer of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has examined certain articles from the Sabah and Takvim dailies and condemned them for violating its basic principles of journalism.

TUSKON denies mass resignations after corruption probe

Turkey’s leading business conglomerate has denied reports of mass resignations following a recent corruption scandal, vowing to sue pro-government Yeni Şafak for fabricating false information.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kosovo’s Parliament supports commission to probe deportation of six Turks

The [Gulen] movement was a shade

Academics praise Gülen’s contribution to world peace at symposium in Washington D.C.

UN to Turkey: Free and Compensate Gulen-linked Detainees

A Turkish family has disappeared in Pakistan, and suspicion turns to intelligence agencies

Pak-Turk Schools react to baseless claims

Singing, poetry competitions of Turkish Olympiad held in İstanbul, Ankara

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News