Gülen’s Lawyer Albayrak: Evidence fabricated to lay psychological ground for legal case


Date posted: March 16, 2014

İSTANBUL
What is the real goal of the black propaganda that has been aimed at Fethullah Gülen since the Dec. 17, 2013 operation? Gülen’s attorney, Nurullah Albayrak, who initiates legal proceedings against at least 10 fabricated reports on his client on a daily basis, spoke to Sunday’s Zaman on this matter.

Albayrak says the perceived enemy in the Feb. 28, 1997 process was religious fundamentalism, but now the perceived enemy in the ongoing process is the “parallel state.” Albayrak, who is extremely busy publishing responses to the fabricated reports and lies produced against his client, believes that the actual goal of the propaganda and lies is to cover up the corruption charges and block the relevant investigations.

Albayrak stresses that those figures who are subordinated to the elite and embedded in intelligence units have played the lead roles in both processes, adding that false reports, distortions, fabricated intelligence reports and psychological warfare have been used. In response to allegations that Gülen was also responsible for the Feb. 28, 1997 coup, Albayrak says this is a huge distortion of the facts and that Gülen was one of the victims of this process, in which the law and democratic principles and rules were suspended and innocent people were smeared through media reports.

Albayrak recalls that Gülen suffered extensively from the powerful figures and media of the time. The Sabah and Star dailies published reports in which they argued that Gülen should be handed the death penalty. A number of lawsuits were filed against Gülen during this process. However, he was acquitted of all charges, and the Supreme Court of Appeals confirmed the acquittals on June 24, 2008. Albayrak stresses that it is extremely unfair to argue that Gülen was responsible for the Feb. 28 coup, given that he was one of the primary victims of the process.

A smear campaign was staged in 1999 to ensure Gülen’s prosecution. A similar campaign is being carried out now. When asked about the return of the same allegations, which were previously dropped and proved to be false, Albayrak says a political administration seeking extraordinary powers and unwilling to abide by the legitimate boundaries of the Constitution and laws will invent phantom enemies and rely on methods of psychological warfare to convince people that they are dealing with these enemies so that the government’s illegal activities are justified. He further states that a political administration of this kind will carry out illegal activities to deal with its perceived enemies. He additionally notes that these black propaganda reports are published and disseminated on a daily basis by 10 TV stations and newspapers to support this government approach. Albayrak believes that the primary goal is to cover up the corruption charges based on legal investigations and carried out by the judiciary and to block the investigation process.

Albayrak recalls that the main goal of the black propaganda raised against Gülen is to fabricate evidence for a case against Gülen and members of the Hizmet movement. The ultimate goal, he further argues, is to ensure that the movement is classified as an organized crime syndicate. The black propaganda reports will be used as evidence to substantiate the allegations. Asked about the main source of the allegations that the Hizmet movement had infiltrated the police and judiciary to seize control of the state, Albayrak says they had discovered this source to be “the dark corridors of Ankara.” He holds that this structure is an illegal entity set up to fabricate false reports and evidence. Albayrak refers to a statement of the deputy chair of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) as clear evidence of attempts to fabricate evidence in order to substantiate the allegations.

Albayrak admits that there is no legal obstacle to Gülen’s return to Turkey. But he adds that a person is entitled to travel to and reside in the place of his choosing, and thus his client is exercising a universal right. Therefore, it is not fair to condemn or accuse somebody because of where he wants to travel or live. In addition, Gülen stresses that he has imposed exile upon himself for the sake of the nation and his country. Albayrak further argues that the developments of the last three months prove that the calls asking for his return were not sincere.

Albayrak submits that it is not possible to initiate an investigation into Gülen’s alleged illegal activities based on unsubstantiated news reports, recalling that the requirements for such an action are specified in Article 160 of Turkey’s Code on Criminal Procedure (CMK). If an investigation is initiated without considering the legal requirements, some concrete supporting evidence should be sought. Albayrak argues that there is no such evidence. He further notes that they have relied on all legal means, including judicial complaints, issuing responses and filing lawsuits for non-pecuniary damages, and that they are working to prove that these reports are fabricated by the verdict of a court of law. Albayrak believes that an investigation based on false reports would be a disgrace to the state and the government. The prime minister’s remarks that they will deal with this so-called parallel structure by any means possible imply that an investigation will be initiated without considering whether or not it is legally justifiable.

Asked how Gülen would respond to this campaign, Albayrak says they will exercise their legal right to prevent the moves of these aggressors. He recalls that they have filed 279 criminal complaints and 64 lawsuits for non-pecuniary damages and issued 25 responses to and 23 statements against the allegations. Recalling that Gülen was charged by Nuh Mete Yüksel, the chief prosecutor of the State Security Court, with attempting to create a theocratic Islamic dictatorship by promoting Islamic codes within the state system, Albayrak notes that Gülen was acquitted of all charges in the indictment by the Supreme Court of Appeals. He further concludes that it is not legally possible to initiate another case, given that Gülen was acquitted of all similar charges before.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 16, 2014


Related News

Canberra followers of Fethullah Gulen afraid to return to Turkey

Despite having recently become an Australian citizen, Mr Erdogan fears if he returned to Turkey at the moment he would be arrested as soon as he stepped off the plane. He has friends in Turkey who have been stripped of their livelihoods and forced to go into hiding as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan cracks down on “enemies of the state”.

Teacher detained just after giving birth, handcuffed to bed at hospital

Turkish teacher Fatma Ozturk was detained just after she gave birth to her baby at Ege Umut Hospital in Manisa’s Turgutlu district while police handcuffed her to a bed she is resting on.

Hizmet school ready to pioneer education in Kurdish

Following the decision to allow education in languages other than Turkish in private schools, as part of the democratization package recently unveiled by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, a private school run by Gülen movement volunteers said it is ready to start education in Kurdish once such a law is introduced.

Lessons from Dec. 17: Who is parallel?

To prove whether the Gülen movement has a parallel structure , one has to establish that the investigations and wiretappings were not conducted within the scope of a legal investigation. If that is proven, one has to demonstrate that the police and prosecutors in charge of the investigations were receiving instructions not from the state but from sources within the movement. Both of these claims have to be proven with evidence.

Victims of Erdogan’s witch-hunt and purge get their voice heard

A new website has recently been launched to publish stories or Turkish president Erdogan’s with-hunt, persecution and brutal crack-down on the dissents. The new website is named “Magduriyetler,” which aims to disseminate the stories of the countless violations of law after the coup attempt in July 2016.

Turkey’s Crackdown on Businesses Sparks Concern

The Turkish government crackdown that followed the failed July coup is expanding to businesses, with the assets of major multibillion-dollar conglomerates seized, along with hundreds of smaller companies.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Burma/Thailand: Deported Turkish Man at Risk

Is the Gulen Movement a Threat to the Turkish Government?

2017 Victoria Parliament Iftar dinner

Fethullah Gülen and the role of nonviolence in a time of terror

Fethullah Gulen: Killing of Russian envoy ‘heinous act’

A Case Study In How Lobbyists For Turkish Government Manipulate The American Media on Gulen Issue

THY’s Topçu defends embargo on papers, defamation campaign

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News